p3s controller upgrading

Reaction score
Hi all after watching many videos on the p3s controller I took the plunge to take it apart to fit pigtail sma to the 5.8 board leaving the two 2.4 GHz antenna alone until I could find out what the left and right ones are for. the reason being I feel I may only need to upgrade one of them. my thinking behind this is one side is a transceiver for the phone link and the other for drone video and telemetry link as the phone never travels far from the controller there would be no need to fit an amp and upgraded both antennae. sadly clear precise information on this simple question seem to be alluding me I hope some boffin can help. I have noticed the 5.8 and one 2.4 ghz antennae both have black leads and one 2.4 has a grey lead my guess would be the gray one is for the phone 2.4 ghz and the two black leads for the transceivers to and from the drone. one 5.8 and one 2.4 ghz cheer hope some kind soul can help, will save me a lot of testing.

Hi all after watching many videos on the p3s controller I took the plunge to take it apart to fit pigtail sma to the 5.8 board leaving the two 2.4 GHz antenna alone until I could find out what the left and right ones are for. the reason being I feel I may only need to upgrade one of them. my thinking behind this is one side is a transceiver for the phone link and the other for drone video and telemetry link as the phone never travels far from the controller there would be no need to fit an amp and upgraded both antennae. sadly clear precise information on this simple question seem to be alluding me I hope some boffin can help. I have noticed the 5.8 and one 2.4 ghz antennae both have black leads and one 2.4 has a grey lead my guess would be the gray one is for the phone 2.4 ghz and the two black leads for the transceivers to and from the drone. one 5.8 and one 2.4 ghz cheer hope some kind soul can help, will save me a lot of testing.
I thought I read somewhere that the dual 2.4 panels inside the RC both do the same thing. They designed it with 2 just to help with coverage. When I connect these ports directly to my power meter, I get identical readings.

If you look real hard, you can probably find the test reports data submitted to the FCC.

EDIT: Found my copy. GL3581503 Remote Controller Test Report RDG150320008-00A SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD

As noted in the test report, the GL358wA controller has 2 internal antennas for 2.4GHz transceiver. Antenna gain are 2dBi. Transceiver transmits and receives same signal.

So to answer your question, left and right both do the same thing. Hope this helps and good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Astrix and Daz1965
I thought I read somewhere that the dual 2.4 panels inside the RC both do the same thing. They designed it with 2 just to help with coverage. When I connect these ports directly to my power meter, I get identical readings.

If you look real hard, you can probably find the test reports data submitted to the FCC.

EDIT: Found my copy. GL3581503 Remote Controller Test Report RDG150320008-00A SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD

As noted in the test report, the GL358wA controller has 2 internal antennas for 2.4GHz transceiver. Antenna gain are 2dBi. Transceiver transmits and receives same signal.

So to answer your question, left and right both do the same thing. Hope this helps and good luck!
Hi LarBear360 very helpful, should mean I only need one amp, might as well fit the two remaining pigtails while the controller is open and fit a simple 360 antenna on the left hand side. thinking about it. in light of your info the two antennae may be for the on screen direction finding. Thank you very much my best d
daz

Reactions: LarBear360
Both the (2) 2.4 and (1) 5.8 antennas should be upgraded. I have the fpvlr antenna and love it. If your not adding amps, there is a hack app that really worked well with the antenna upgrade (just google phantom 3 magic power for more about it). If you add amps you need at least (1) 5.8 amp and (1) 2.4 amp. Adding a (2nd) 2.4 amp does help. With the antenna and 3 amps I’ve gone over 4 miles ( that as far as you can go and be able to make it back with a stock battery. Adding antennas to the bird was a huge upgrade in video signal. You could turn the bird at any any angle you wanted and never lost video for even a split second. All the mods listed above are are easy for most to do and not to expensive ( antenna $125 , (2) 2.4 amps $40ea. (1)5.8 amp $60 (1)battery from fpvlr for the amplifiers.was $40. 5.8 antennas for the bird are phantom 4 antennas that mount inside the landing arms and they do not bother the gps antenna cost was $4.00 and the 2.4 antennas one the bird were homemade). My phantom 3 standard has as good or better range than my magic pro with with a titan cyclone antenna. And cost half the price.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
The two 2.4Ghz antennas are used for diversity, the transceiver switches to the antenna with the strongest received signal.
it then transmits on that antenna so you really need two amplifiers for 2.4Ghz although only one will be used at a time.
The switching is a bit more complicated than that so you can get away with one amplifier but two is best.
hope that helps.

Reactions: LarBear360

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub