Help with "Abnormal compass data" error message

Reaction score
Hi there!

Could someone please help me with a new problem?
When I have started my phantom 2 vision last time I recognized that there is a strange nois like from the gibal motor which is running constantly. Gggssseee
And the copter has the problem to get the initial home position.

Today I have connected him with the assistant software.
I have updated the copter but the motor noice from the gimbal was consisting.
In addition I got the following error message "Abnormal compass data. Please restart the Flight Controller or reconnect the compass due to the loss connection. if thes error continues, please contact your dealer or dJI customer service."

So I turned off and on the RC and also the copter but the promlem was still there, is there any expert who could please advice me how to solve this problem?

Many thanks in advance

Andreas

When hooked to PC assistant, can you see your compass values?
If so can you post them please?

Also check Both connections, cable to compass, and compass cable to MC ( main controller ) inside phantom,
Might be a faulty compass, or might need to reset compass?

How to reset compass here: ( if values are off )
http://youtu.be/kCT1rRE_UIg

Hope this helps!

Take care, Fly safe!

Thanks Jerry!

Compass data are within the range.
So I will have to open the copter for my firs time - I am a bit scared about that but will do so.
Many thanks for your help!

Andreas

You can also get that message if you have a faulty GPSr as the compass is connected through the GPSr on some models. In the assistant, go to the upgrade page and ensure that there is a GPSr serial number.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 5.28.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 5.28.09 PM.png
    85.4 KB · Views: 2,842
  • Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 5.28.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 5.28.00 PM.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 2,502
  • Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 5.27.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 5.27.20 PM.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 2,579
And here's the upgrade page after receiving the error.

Any thoughts? Thanks guys. Sorry for out of focus video.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 5.27.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 5.27.43 PM.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 2,427
You both need to install default settings ->Tools page - then do advanced IMU calibration, then do compass calibration. Abloom your compass look OK, just do the above.

Getting this error when trying to perform advanced IMU calibration. Waited 10 minutes, put next to fan. Same error again.

Will report back after 30 minutes or so.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 5.47.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 5.47.19 PM.png
    113.6 KB · Views: 2,301
abloom123 said:
Getting this error when trying to perform advanced IMU calibration. Waited 10 minutes, put next to fan. Same error again.

Will report back after 30 minutes or so.

Blow through that error, it's a bug in DJIs system. It's been there for ages. Just click through it.

After ignoring that warning message and letting the progress bar do the full update, the gimbal continues to make the buzzing noise. Doesn't seem to have fixed the problem.

Darn, any other thoughts?

Few things:

The gimbal motors (especially one in photo) are getting extremely hot from the grinding.

Now whenever I turn the device on, it's flickering yellow/green/red, indicating self test, when I plug it into USB it says advanced calibration necessary.

Gimbal is still remaining erratic.. very frustrating.. hm.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 1,360
I am having exact same problem. I flew today when I noticed the gimbal was twitching. I took it home to plug it in and maybe try and reinstall firmware(s). Everything went downhill from there. I'm getting "Abnormal Compass Data" error message, as well as "Not DJI Intelligent Battery" (which it is). Gimbal is going crazy, getting really hot. I tried unplugging gimbal just to get the Phantom to initiate a start up, no luck. I get the startup chime and beeps...but that's it. No GPS, now no gimbal at all. In fact, the H3-3D IMU update is not even available in the update screen anymore. It's like the gimbal is dead and doesn't exist anymore.
Still can't even get the advanced calibration to function like it should....always getting "too hot" error. I click through the errors like I've read to do...it just seems to freeze and do nothing. Sometimes it will say "ready" after about 30 sec of calibrating...but I still get same issue. Can't start up Phantom, can't calibrate compass via assistant, and now have dead gimbal.

Any thought's from anyone???

Hello everyone,
I also have the same problem...
After upgrade all are dead.

Abnormal compass data.
Please restart the Flihgt Controller or reconnect the compass due to the losse connection.
If this error continues, please contact your dealer or DJI customer service.

Not DJI inteligenten Battery

http://youtu.be/lYXXFWibDxQ
I tried 10 different mini IOSD on five Phantom and all the same...
Simply after upgrade will no longer work when connected mini IOSD,without the upgrade (out of the box) everything is working normally.

Without the upgrade and connected mini IOSD:

After upgrade when connected mini IOSD :

Here's another example with and without mini IOSD...

http://youtu.be/v9HGvUt1k0U

What now :(

abloom123 said:
Few things:

The gimbal motors (especially one in photo) are getting extremely hot from the grinding.

Now whenever I turn the device on, it's flickering yellow/green/red, indicating self test, when I plug it into USB it says advanced calibration necessary.

Gimbal is still remaining erratic.. very frustrating.. hm.

First off - you're going to burn up your gimbal running it without camera on it. It's balanced to work with the weight of camera.

I am having the same exact issue where the error message says "abnormal compass data". The only problem is I am not receiving the compass stats in the assistant software. Can someone please help? I have attached a file of the picture of my problem. I am not sure whether it is just a faulty compass or if it is a problem with the gps or what it is. I did purchase the bigger legs for the phantom 2 and the compass is not exactly in the same place as it was on the regular legs. Not sure if this has an effect on the compass error. If someone knows what my problem is and can help that would be great.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1,382
I am having the same exact issue where the error message says "abnormal compass data". The only problem is I am not receiving the compass stats in the assistant software. Can someone please help? I have attached a file of the picture of my problem. I am not sure whether it is just a faulty compass or if it is a problem with the gps or what it is. I did purchase the bigger legs for the phantom 2 and the compass is not exactly in the same place as it was on the regular legs. Not sure if this has an effect on the compass error. If someone knows what my problem is and can help that would be great.
i see this has ended in February but with no outcome. did you ever get it fixed and how? i am having the same issue. i get the Abnormal compass data error and red solid lights. i get no compass data. i recently tried do the wire mod to use a gimbal and gopro on my vision + and ever since then it hasnt had compass. it is firmly pressed in the main board and i have set all wireing back to stock because i gave up on the conversion and bought a replacement vision+ camera.

any help would be appreciated.

update what i just said. after looking threw it over and over and trying it. so on the assistant i was getting Abnormal compass data error and i was getting no compass data. after it not working and i couldnt find a solve for it on here. i tried prying open the housing that houses the compass. turns out its a compass in there with a connector. so after taking my phantom 2 vision + appart i must have tugged it a little to hard and ended up seperating it. if your having the same issue try to go to the leg and tug the compass wire a tad. if it has a bit of play than thats most likely your issues. id have assumed it would be hot glued in place or something so that this doesnt happen but no.

sorry my writeing isnt perfect at the moment im busy and thought id share my findings

When hooked to PC assistant, can you see your compass values?
If so can you post them please?

Also check Both connections, cable to compass, and compass cable to MC ( main controller ) inside phantom,
Might be a faulty compass, or might need to reset compass?

How to reset compass here: ( if values are off )
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hope this helps!

Take care, Fly safe!
The link doesn't work can you help me please?

Having the same error message. When powering up, it powers up, beeps, then lights go red at battery end. Will not allow me to do anything else. Replaced ESC card in one leg and trying to get back online. Near as I can see, no solder is where it shouldn't be, or touching more than one pad. All connections have been verified as fully plugged in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.