Help to reduce Moire

Reaction score
Hi, I've only managed a few flights in my back garden and at work. I am totally new to the phantom so taking it steady and learning all the features of the pilot app and how to use IOC ext. What I have noticed on the video I have shot is that on the house and roof the Moire effect is pretty bad. I'm intending to have a play around with the shutter speed, FPS etc to see if I can reduce or ideally eliminate it, but was wondering what settings or advice the experienced flyers could give on this issue.

Cheers
Jay

High frequency cross talk is a difficult to avoid with the small cmos sensor. I'm a broadcast engineer and we have problems with broadcast cameras like the Sony F55 and it's a real problem on the canon C300. To combat this issue manufactures use filters to soften the image before the sensor which defeats the object of having a high resolution sensor! Unfortunately I just shoot around the "feature" that high res sensors give.

Bladestrike (who works for DJI) posted here somewhere what setting he uses for his 3. I hate to say this but try searching for posts under blade strike...

https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=014775389315664725445:ejku2ysgyhi

Before checking the forum I did a general search on the internet for Moire...... I found lots of information but nothing specific to the P3. I then used the search function on the forum before posting and couldn't find anything specific on Moire then either. I have now used the link and still cant find anything that will help me.

I understand photography and how ISO, Shutter speed and EV all work but when it comes to video I am a total noob

It's often a bit unclear whether it was recorded like that or it's a playback issue.
With youtube if you view a 1080p or larger video without going fullscreen you often see sharpening artefacts.
So I suspect something similar can be to blame in other cases - i.e. you are not viewing it at native resolution.
Using the custom video settings in the app it will probably improve things to record with sharpening and maybe contrast to reduced to -1
Note this is sometimes a problem even with professional grade cameras - we've all seen odd strobing effects on TV over someone's horrible shirt or jacket.

High frequency cross talk is a difficult to avoid with the small cmos sensor. I'm a broadcast engineer and we have problems with broadcast cameras like the Sony F55 and it's a real problem on the canon C300. To combat this issue manufactures use filters to soften the image before the sensor which defeats the object of having a high resolution sensor! Unfortunately I just shoot around the "feature" that high res sensors give.

One of the things I intend to use it for is shooting real estate, I have seen videos on the internet and never seen Moire as obvious, do I need to turn down the sharpness on the Phantom or do it in post. if I shoot in 720p will that help to reduce it also?

This isn't live tv broadcast so the alternative is to reduce the sharpness if the P3 has a sharpness control. Doing so will not completely remove moire but will help to soften it and if need be you can add sharpness in post. What will also help to reduce moire in video camcorders and DSLR's is a very sight off focus adjustment.

From what I can tell the camera scales so always aquires at full resolution. There are a number of ways to down scale to 1080 and 720 so it depends on how they do it. It will probably make no difference. To be honest you shouldn't see it too much. When you do just change the shot size and it will improve things (Move closer or farther away)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic