Time to come out of the closet - I've got a P2 with H3-3D

Reaction score
So it’s time for me to confess and say that on top of the original Vision with Rotorpixel (love it) and F450 ARTF kit (slowly building with my 7 year old son) I’ve recently acquired a Phantom 2 with H3-3D. I’ve also put a few extras on it, and I’ve flown it three times now so here’s my experience with this setup. I’ve tried to deal with it as it would be for a new user, so I haven’t changed into NAZA mode or done any tweaking or changing from defaults.

First, the equipment list:

Phantom 2;
Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal;
GoPro Hero 3 Silver Edition;
DJI AVL58 AV tx with supplied antenna;
DJI iOSD Mark 2 (not mini - yeah, I know - I was going to put it on my F450 build, but I’ve got it so…);
DJI FPV Hub (those of you who know me know I avoid soldering if I can);
Black Pearl 7” FPV diversity rx monitor;
Rave Creative monitor mount (http://uav.ravecreative.co.uk/);
(Note - I don’t have the anti-interference board fitted to the gimbal)

Weather conditions for my flight test were fine, surface winds light and variable, some thermal activity, air temp 14 degrees C.

I set-up the P2 and Zenmuse H3-3D as per instructions, using default dampers and all default settings in the Assistant - but I upgraded everything to latest firmware using Assistant 3.0.

I fitted the iOSD, AVL58 tx and FPV hub on the underside using the cables and sticky pads provided in the FPV Hub pack - it was VERY easy once I’d worked out a good arrangement for the components on the back, and using the AVL58 meant I could keep the soldering iron in the cupboard. It was a 10 minute job. Flying weight of this setup is 1315g

Flight experience is what I’d come to expect from 6 months of flying a Vision, and after an initial compass calibration the GPS hold was fine (if perhaps not quite as tight as previous firmware, but maybe that’s just me?). This P2 holds it’s position during fast yaw pirouettes a lot better than my Vision for some reason, but that’s not a move I perform in real flying very often. The climb response is still quite punchy, especially with a fresh battery. Coming to a halt in GPS mode uses a bit more real estate thanks to the additional weight and if you’re operating close to nasty, evil trees then I’d give some opposite stick to make sure it stops where you need it to.

For these early flights I left everything in standard, out of the box P2 mode not NAZA mode so I didn’t have atti or manual or IOC available. I wanted to try it out as a newcomer to the Phantom range would find it.

Now I am totally new to “traditional” FPV using A/V tx and monitor setup, coming from the Vision with it’s very polished app and wifi downlink. The iOSD gave me some of the features I’m used to like battery level, satellites locked, height and speed readouts, bank angle, etc. The Black Pearl monitor is EXCELLENT. Great picture, works flawlessly with the AVL58, good stock sunshade, and it’s light enough so it doesn’t unbalance the tx (I used it without a neck strap - because I forgot to take it off my Vision controller! - and didn’t find it a problem, even hand catching for landings and having to hold with one hand whilst holding down throttle to stop motors).

So what about this shiny gimbal, then? Well I’m very, very impressed. I’m running the GoPro at 1080/24 (I like the look of 24 fps - shoot me) and I’ve just put the gimbal on as it came out of the box and I get fantastic stable video. The only time I notice any jello at all is during fairly hefty descents with some right stick input to keep out of rotor wash - and that’s only because I’m looking for it. Props are in view when the GoPro is tilted fully up, but judicious use of the 7th channel lever to drop the camera gets them out of shot (easy to see with the excellent Black Pearl).

Hard right yaw brings the can-bus port on the left skid into shot, hard left yaw is clean. With the camera tilted fully down you can see left skid if the craft is correcting for drift in that direction in GPS mode. Given the offset lens on the GoPro this is always going to be the case. Judicious use of atti mode should help.

Flight times with this setup were 14-15 minutes, but i was doing a fair number of high speed runs, climbs, fast descents and aggresive maneouvres to test out the gimbal. For a standard aerial videography flight profile I think 15 minutes is going to be where it’s at. This compares to 17 mnutes with a Vision and Rotorpixel.

So compared to the Vision with Rotorpixel: there were more props in shot with the H3-3D when the GoPro is horizontal - this is due to the Rotorpixel bringing the Vision lens further forward. Stability in the yaw axis was impeccable, something the Rotorpixel can’t compete with until they bring out their 3rd axis upgrade. I do miss the convenience of the app on the Vision. By the time I’ve set up my screen, put the AV tx antenna on and set the GoPro running I’d already have been up and flying for about 4 minutes with the Vision. The other thing I miss is the ability to start and stop recording in the air. It was easier for editing to have a memory card full of clips already, rather than one long clip. Because of that shutter control I will probably use the Vision/Rotorpixel combo for aerial stills purposes more than the P2 and GoPro. Having said that there’s no doubt that the GoPro has better quality video and the H3-3D is a very, very nice piece of kit that was easy to install, pre-balanced, and worked very nicely indeed straight out of the box even with my additional hardware mounted just behind it. In places the footage is so stable it looks like a still - I tried to have movement in the clips below to make sure it doesn't look like a photo! Now I’ve got two aerial platforms I can use in different scenarios and I don’t think either one will gather dust at the expense of the other.

Here’s a video showing some of today’s flying - straight from the SD card, cut and rendered, no post-production or stabilisation. It’s not meant to be pretty or tell a story, it’s to show some high- and low-energy manoeuvres, some hovering shots, crane-type shots, etc. Original video was shot 1080p/24. Sorry about the prop-shadow in places - any tips on avoiding it when shooting with sun between rotors and camera?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40xj_NgluNA[/youtube]

Re: Time to come out of the closet - I've got a P2 with H3-3

Now you're throwing a craving on me Pull Up... may have to find me a sucker, er, a person of need of my 2D so I can add that lovely green footage to my collection as well. BTW, you've exposed your identity, without the neckstrap, you were unable to hide your face with your coffee cup :)

any tips on avoiding it when shooting with sun between rotors and camera? Get a ND3 filter, solves this and any remaining jello, its a must for go pro's and will also give you a great cinematic look in 2.7k. Here's the filter on ebay..Polar Pro Venture3+ Neutral Density Glass Naked Filter for GoPro Hero3 & Hero3+

Ok first, rofl at your avatar in the video! That's genius! It's like having you along for the ride! Second, you can always lower the frame rate in post. Third, wow that was beautiful!

And...more video or the first video never happen!

GB Phantom said:
any tips on avoiding it when shooting with sun between rotors and camera? Get a ND3 filter, solves this and any remaining jello, its a must for go pro's and will also give you a great cinematic look in 2.7k. Here's the filter on ebay..Polar Pro Venture3+ Neutral Density Glass Naked Filter for GoPro Hero3 & Hero3+

I'm not sure filters are that big a deal as much can be done in post, in fact I prefer mojo with no filter. I'm not against them, I think they have their uses. And I must be retarded, but why, oh why, would you shoot in 2.7k 15fps?

CarlJ said:
Ok first, rofl at your avatar in the video! That's genius! It's like having you along for the ride! Second, you can always lower the frame rate in post. Third, wow that was beautiful!

I'm all-seeing above you in the vid. ;) I'm not sure I want to lower the frame rate any more than 24p...

In fact I was told not to shoot 24p with a GoPro on a quad as it would be jello city - well it ain't, and I like the look of 24p so I'm happy.

Pull_Up said:
CarlJ said:

I'm all-seeing above you in the vid. ;) I'm not sure I want to lower the frame rate any more than 24p...

In fact I was told not to shoot 24p with a GoPro on a quad as it would be jello city - well it ain't, and I like the look of 24p so I'm happy.

Right you want a faster frame rate for a more stable image. So you could record at 60fps and lower THAT to 24fps. Which is what I was trying to say, but clearly didn't.

The avatar made my year! :lol:

Welcome to the dark side. If you really want to make yourself happy about switching over, use 2.7K/30, medium FOV, Protune, low sharpening, 400 ISO limit, CAMRAW. Process through GoPro Studio, remove fisheye, high quality. Edit in a 1080/24 timeline, conform frame rate (80% of normal), crop and/or zoom as needed. Recolor as needed.

An ND is very helpful on bright sunny days to reduce rolling shutter. Many threads on how to do this.

ianwood said:
Welcome to the dark side. If you really want to make yourself happy about switching over, use 2.7K/30, medium FOV, Protune, low sharpening, 400 ISO limit, CAMRAW. Process through GoPro Studio, remove fisheye, high quality. Edit in a 1080/24 timeline, conform frame rate (80% of normal), crop and/or zoom as needed. Recolor as needed.

An ND is very helpful on bright sunny days to reduce rolling shutter. Many threads on how to do this.

Well I'm not switching entirely. There are times when the Vision and Rotorpixel will be the preferred option - particularly for aerial stills. And as for all the rest of the stuff you mentioned I'm going to have to get a more powerful laptop and probably one that doesn't run linux if I'm going to get the serious about it... ;)

ianwood said:

I would LOVE to come to the dark side, but sadly have a 3+ Silver. I wasn't aware you could shoot at 30fps! That must be SWEET! Of course I don't have CAMRAW, and of course I'm obsessed with it. I'm shocked you're using GoPro Studio, what are the results using the fisheye removal, and have you ever attempted to track the footage after?

I don't get a lot of rolling shutter, but of course have seen it in other videos.

CarlJ said:
I'm not sure filters are that big a deal as much can be done in post, in fact I prefer mojo with no filter. I'm not against them, I think they have their uses. And I must be retarded, but why, oh why, would you shoot in 2.7k 15fps?

Filters do not affect frame rate. They affect shutter speed.

They are not the same.

ianwood said:
Welcome to the dark side. If you really want to make yourself happy about switching over, use 2.7K/30, medium FOV, .

Key words "Hero 3 Silver Edition."

1080/60 max

panhygrous pantler said:
CarlJ said:

Filters do not affect frame rate. They affect shutter speed.

They are not the same.

This is really not my fault, as my last camera had tubes in it (really it was a betacam), but what I don't get is HOW they affect shutter speed.

CarlJ said:
what I don't get is HOW they affect shutter speed.

A neutral density filter blocks some of the light. Because less light is reaching the sensor the GoPro compensates by slowing down the shutter speed so the proper amount of light will still reach the sensor.

Hi Simon, and a welcome from me too :)

Due to wet and windy conditions I haven't flown since I got my H3-3D set-up a week ago but today is a glorious day so I'll be out this evening for sure.

Have you tried the H3-3D's 'FPV Mode'?

Peter Evans said:
Hi Simon, and a welcome from me too :)

Due to wet and windy conditions I haven't flown since I got my H3-3D set-up a week ago but today is a glorious day so I'll be out this evening for sure.

Have you tried the H3-3D's 'FPV Mode'?

Hello Peter. I have only tried it on the kitchen table, it might make for some interesting aerial video, actually, never mind for the purposes intended - rather than "helicopter shots" you could get "aeroplane shots", although I'm not sure how smooth that would be. Lots of things to play with. I've been flying fast figure eights low over crops and the smoothness of the gimbal just doesn't seem diminished at all by giving it some welly.

I do miss having a remote shutter, though...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj