Help on first major purchase

Reaction score
Hello

I'm looking for some advice on my first major drone purchase.. I'm looking to get a drone for some photography just as a Hobby.

My options I have to are

769 dji mavic air new
699 mavic pro refurbished with warranty
500 phantom 4 standard. Used and no warranty.

Which one would you consider better value for money vs ability / spec. I lik the new air but read alot of bad things about the range. The range of the mavic appeals to me bit j have heard the phantom 4 is superior to the mavic if you don't mind the size?

Any thoughts/ tips etc welcome :)

From the limited information about its use, I say go with the Mavic Air. Other than being so portable, it has a good camera. I've see some pretty good video from them, and I take note that the HDR ability is pretty nice. Also, it also fast at 40 mph, and it has more flight modes good for a hobby flying camera.

The biggie, it is new.

From the limited information about its use, I say go with the Mavic Air. Other than being so portable, it has a good camera. I've see some pretty good video from them, and I take note that the HDR ability is pretty nice. Also, it also fast at 40 mph, and it has more flight modes good for a hobby flying camera.

The biggie, it is new.
I have a Mavic and access to a Phantom. I like the Mavic because it is small and can be easily put into a backpack or in a bicycle bag. You can't do that with the Phantom. I did photography professionally and find the image quality from the Mavic, both still and video, satisfactory. If you are doing it strictly for hobby I would go with the lower cost one. It will give you the chance to learn and have fun and the end product will be fine. And in case you destroy it in a crash, it is less money.

Mavic Pro, no question for me. The P4 Standard has the same camera I believe. You'd have to go up to the p4p for it to be better. I'm not sure if the Air has a better camera, but the Mavic is proven.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
Mavic Pro, no question for me. The P4 Standard has the same camera I believe. You'd have to go up to the p4p for it to be better. I'm not sure if the Air has a better camera, but the Mavic is proven.
Decided to get the air. After looking at videos online other than the range. The mavic air appears to be better and newer. The gimbal protection also makes me feel it's a better buy plus it's small so easier for me to fit in. Hopefully it wasn't the wrong choice... comes tomorrow

Great choice to start and I'm sure you'll love it! The P4P has the better camera and very safe to fly but the reviews from experienced pros that have used all mentioned speak very highly of the new Mavic Air. I want one myself for travel/vacation photography but the P4P is my aircraft of choice for professional jobs.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4