Help in setting up the DJI GO App

Reaction score
It would be helpful for an experienced Drone flyer to make a list of all the items that NEED to be set for 1st time flyers (Like me and others). I’ve had my P4P for 2 months and haven’t taken it up yet, I don’t want it say bye bye on the 1st time it takes to the air and I don’t know anyone that can check my settings to see that they are correct. I think I have them set right but think and know are two different things. I want it to be set for the shortest meters from me and the height of around 40 meters which will more then clear anything near me. Sooo, in short I’m asking for a step by step 1 set this, 2 set this, 3 set this and so on etc. Just a list of each of the items that should be set for a first flight and then expanded on as a novice becomes more experienced. I am aware there are many videos and I have watched many of them, but there’s nothing like the written word. Thanks ahead if someone would like to take the time to do this for all us 1st time fliers that want to do it right and responsibly.

Reactions: ron-ep
It would be helpful for an experienced Drone flyer to make a list of all the items that NEED to be set for 1st time flyers (Like me and others). I’ve had my P4P for 2 months and haven’t taken it up yet, I don’t want it say bye bye on the 1st time it takes to the air and I don’t know anyone that can check my settings to see that they are correct. I think I have them set right but think and know are two different things. I want it to be set for the shortest meters from me and the height of around 40 meters which will more then clear anything near me. Sooo, in short I’m asking for a step by step 1 set this, 2 set this, 3 set this and so on etc. Just a list of each of the items that should be set for a first flight and then expanded on as a novice becomes more experienced. I am aware there are many videos and I have watched many of them, but there’s nothing like the written word. Thanks ahead if someone would like to take the time to do this for all us 1st time fliers that want to do it right and responsibly.

The first thing that comes to mind is the videos that are out there. Those are super helpful I know. Additionally the other things come to mind first would be your return to home settings, your altitude settings and your obstacle avoidance preferences. You’re only allowed up to 400 feet but again if you have some hesitations you can reduce it in the beginning. You can also adjust your return to home height. Meaning that when you press the return to home button that it has enough clearance to avoid crashing into any trees or buildings on the way back.
Then there’s a remote settings to make sure you’re flying in P mode. You know there is a beginner setting in there if you’re hesitant on taking off. I think you should just find an open field somewhere you don’t have to fly very high so you can get used to the controllers.

Everything else like your camera settings, your EXP and sensitivity settings are all preference. As much as I know you want written word I can only strongly recommend the videos as some are pretty detailed.

I have watched multiple videos. What I’m hoping to get here is a step by step list of what (must be set), to have a successful flight. I know the regulations and the formate for practicing my first flights. I just don’t want to not set something in the DJI GO App that is a must to set for a successful flight. The extraneous settings will take care of themselves if I miss one. I believe I have all the settings set this is just a double check.

in short I’m asking for a step by step 1 set this, 2 set this, 3 set this and so on etc. Just a list of each of the items that should be set for a first flight and then expanded on as a novice becomes more experienced.
There's really not much to tell you.
If you are nervous, just set teh drone to beginner mode and it will take care of what you've asked for.
More important than a list of settings is this:

Do your early flights in a large open area, well away from trees, buildings and obstacles.
When there's nothing to hit, it's very hard to get into trouble.
Be afraid, very afraid of trees, buildings etc. They are involved in most incidents.

You'll find that it's much easier to fly than you imagine.
It takes about 5 minutes to learn - but a lot of practice and experience to become proficient.
Don't let the simplicity make you get too adventurous too early.
There are many things that can go wrong and you need to understand what they are and how to make sure they don't happen to you.

Read up on return to home procedures, practise using RTH and cancelling it so you understand how it works and how you can resume control in an RTH situation.
Never launch or land on a steel or reinforced concrete surface.
If flying in a strong wind situation, never fly away downwind.

There is a big difference between the DJI GO app and the DJI GO 4 the GO 4 is the app you must use for the P4. I personally do not like using a phone. I have two Mini iPads I use to fly with. The screen is big and you can actually see and read all the settings clearly. Be sure your phone/mini are connected with a usb cable to the connection on the remote controller. You can turn on the phone/ipad first but you need to turn on the controller first, then turn on the battery and let the P4 connect and once connected you should be looking out of the P4's camera. Screen should say, Safe To Fly, touch on that and then page will load up and you will have a list of commands, Click on Compass Calibrations and then click, Calibrate Compass. You will then do what us old timers call the DJI dance. Just follow the on screen instructions and guide.

Look for Sensors next and click on it. You should then see IMU calibration and you most definitely want to calibrate your IMU which stands for Internal Measurement Units. Many, many people fail to calibrate the IMU and wander why their drones fly off and crash, I know it happened to me with my P2.

You want to find the Return to Home Height and you can set the height in meters or feet, then find the Loss of Signal and click on Return to home, do not click on Hover or Land, I failed to set Return to home and when I lost signal, my P3 landed in the lake and sunk like a damned rock, it was my own fault because I failed to set this up in loss of signal. A very costly mistake for sure.
I bet there are a school of Black Bass playing with it now, oh well, live and learn.

For your first flight I highly recommend not going over 50 feet in the air until you get used to how it flies and handles, that way if you mess up, you can cut power and not damage it to much, actually 25 feet would be better. Have fun.

Reactions: Capt KO
I fly in mode 2 which most do fly in, remember the left stick controls the power. Do not pull backward on the left stick all the way, it will shut down the engine, even in flight and your P4 will fall like a rock. You should feel a mild click with the left stick when you pull it backwards, do not make it click and hold it, power off. Pull it back just before the click and it will land on it's own. Once on the ground you can pull it all the way back and the motors should stop for you.

The intention may be good but you are giving quite a bit of misinformation here:
Click on Compass Calibrations and then click, Calibrate Compass. You will then do what us old timers call the DJI dance.
Look for Sensors next and click on it. You should then see IMU calibration and you most definitely want to calibrate your IMU which stands for Internal Measurement Units.
Many, many people fail to calibrate the IMU and wander why their drones fly off and crash, I know it happened to me with my P2.
The order for turning on components isn't critical.
There's no need for a new flyer to calibrate either the compass or the IMU.
The drone comes with them both calibrated.
I have a P4 pro that's seen 3.5 yrs of hard professional use without ever having anything calibrated.
It flies as well as it did straight from the box on day 1.
You want to find the Return to Home Height and you can set the height in meters or feet,
then find the Loss of Signal and click on Return to home, do not click on Hover or Land, I failed to set Return to home and when I lost signal, my P3 landed in the lake and sunk like a damned rock, it was my own fault because I failed to set this up in loss of signal.
Setting RTH height is always in metres
RTH is the default loss of signal action.
It doesn't hurt to check, but it will always be RTH unless you change it to something else.
Do not pull backward on the left stick all the way, it will shut down the engine, even in flight and your P4 will fall like a rock.
You should feel a mild click with the left stick when you pull it backwards, do not make it click and hold it, power off. Pull it back just before the click and it will land on it's own. Once on the ground you can pull it all the way back and the motors should stop for you.
The P3 standard is the only DJI drone with the click for the left stick.
Holding the left stick full down will NEVER shut down the motors in flight.
Holding the left stick down for three seconds will shut down the motors, but only when the drone has landed.

I had similar apprehensions before trying mine...
Since DJI Go4 app prompts you to "Connect to Aircraft", and then to " Go Fly", and then a very audible "Home Point has been set" message as soon as GPS reception is good/established, and starts in Beginner Mode that limits both height and distance away........its pretty straightforward, though to make the first tentative flights to start learning the controls

I would use the auto takeoff and land options the first time(s) which make it even more straightforward.

and yes, figuring out how to get into the RTH and max. elevation and distance settings was also helpful/reassuring--but flying in beginner mode in an open space with no one around to watch/feel annoyed were all helpful.

A lot of the videos are for older models and address potential problems that are less relevant to the P4 as noted above.

One thing that I learned the hard way was not to completely read the instructions for the remote control. Make sure you have stick set on mode 2.

Find a drone hobby club in the Phoenix area. PIlots always love to mentor newbies. Someone will be happy to walk you thru

If you stay with this forum long enough you will find out that some instructions are more relevant tan other.
In this thread relay on what Meta4 has said. He is usually correct at all drone related issues.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic