Help...cracks spotted

Maybe Lowes sells it online, but they are the reseller and just pass the order from their online store to their distributor, but don't carry it in the store.
I have seen this many times, like at Target and Walmart... not in store but online only....

Reactions: Phil56
Amazon has a good deal on a two pack of 6oz each.
I found a crack starting on the screw well just ahead of the motor screws. I just hope the plastic that the screw head sits on top of doesn't break. Not much you can do about that. Thought I might use a washer but that would be too thick.

Rawn makes a similar product called Plas T Pair that I've used for decades. I don't remember where I found it, but it's a fantastic aid for repairing plastics.

They sell it at pool and hot tub places. That's where I got mine. There are many uses for it.

Just mix enough to do one arm at a time. That way you'll have time to to spread it out nice before it starts to thicken up...it doesn't take much for each arm.

I wonder if the plastic plates that hold the snap-on prop guards will prevent cracks?

Do what I did and you'll never have a problem. When you get your drone back from dji open the top shell and pull the motors off and let them hang. Then buy some stuff called plast-aid and fill the cavity under the motor with it. That's what I did and have never had a crack before. Do it before you have cracks and it will prevent it from happening in the first place. It's great stuff[emoji106]

I have to try that too.....
Amazon.com: plast aid

I finally got my order of Plast-aid.
Make it thinner than instructions suggest. Enough liquid to saturate is rather vague and I made the first batch too thick.
Apply a very shallow layer, and work fast but not too fast that you get it on something you shouldn't. Note that the top she'll has a skirt that goes around the motor deep past the shell seam and fingers from skirt to shell edge that also extends past the seam. I put way to much in all the wrong places that I have to do some Dremel work to make sure the motor and top she'll properly seats.
Also note that putting plast-aid below where the motor goes may block it's ventilation.
I suggest practicing use of plast-aid on scraps before using on the AC so you are familiar with how it works.

Reactions: Phil56
I wonder if the plastic plates that hold the snap-on prop guards will prevent cracks?
I've wondered that too. They probably won't help for cracks starting in the screw wells in front of the motor screws though.
I found my new crack was with the shell wall pulling a bit of the screw well wall and a tiny bit of the bottom where the screw sits. Can't do anything where the screw sits or else it will interfere with how the screw sits.

Hi Dan do you uave picture of what you've done ? It sound more complicated than I had imagined. ..

Unfortunately no. Took a lot of work cleaning up my mess. Felt like I was doing an excavation of ancient artifacts.
Keep it shallow and keep it away from the side walls. There's quite a bit on the top shell that comes very close to plastic sections on the bottom shell. I still had some binding after the cleanup but good enough to snap it closed and screw it down. Did successful small test flight one foot off my kitchen floor.
Full test flight later today.

Ok Dan..I'm trying to gather as much details as possible to be ready when my shell.will.be returned from DJI...thanks

If your bird is still under warranty I wouldn't be doing any diy repairs until the warranty expires. If you have to send it back again for other issues under warranty and they see your handy work then they arent going to entertain you regardless of what the problem is.
Once the warranty expires do as you wish.
As for DJI Europe...I got mine back yesterday from Netherlands, one month it took from UK...craked shell replacement, looks to be the same gimbal, well its the same serial number anyway lol, couldn't say if its the same insides, i've heard a few dodgy stories of people getting different machines back. It was packed better than I sent it although the gimbal guard wasn't attached which was concerning...it may have detached during transit. Just after a test flight...more of a test hover out of fear lol...all appears ok so far.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor