Hello from the Allentown PA area ...

Reaction score
Good evening,

I'm Marc. New P3S awaiting it's first real flight (Wx, darn ... ) I hope to cut my teeth on this one and get onto a P3A or P3P later, basically anything with LB for more range. Not so I can fly out of sight, but more that it would have a larger comfort circle in my own mind.

Background: Commercial Helicopter Pilot / CFII (Pvt for fixed wing SEL) and an Avionics Technician and IT Guru for on-board Sat data and phone communications for a variety of Aircraft.

I have a history of flying Gas powered A/C and Heli's...

Was introduced to the UAS / Quads last year when doing some instruction for a company that will remain nameless right now (It appears that asking to be paid is frowned upon when they don't have the $$$ even though for those sessions under part 333 I was the one on the hook for my CFII while supervising them) Anyway I got to get familiar with the DJI app, the P# models, and the Inspire (Flying the Inspire hooked up to a 49" flat screen with flight symbology was awesome! (TV to power at said park ...)

I wouldn't mind getting with anyone in my area to meet up and fly as well.

That's it for now, don't need this being TL;DR :)

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

Welcome to the forum RW-1.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

Welcome to the forum RW-1.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

Thanks all for the warm welcome's so far!

I've been on all this week, I believe I'm already getting a reputation for myself :)

Yes, you guys do know your stuff, and I only hope to add my KB to it.

Today, in prep for flight later on and because I'm ****, I'll share a tip if not given already.

Mark your props!

Use a sharpie. Since we have two black and two white (silver), I place a dot or two dots on the prop near the hub, and the same on the arm, nothing " noticeable, except for when you go to install.

This ensures not only that you place the props on the proper hubs, but the same prop to the same hub.
This can really help when you are checking prop balance, because believe it or not position can have an effect (that arm shell may vibrate more/less than others, etc.) On full scale heli's rotors definately are tracked to which grip they're placed, no reason you cannot do the same :)

This can really help when you are checking prop balance, because believe it or not position can have an effect (that arm shell may vibrate more/less than others, etc.)
How exactly are you checking prop balance?

Reactions: RW-1
I have a prop balancer from my fixed wing R/C days ... basically its a rod to the prop, inserted in a device that allows it to rotate freely, so the heavy side will drop. You position it in various spots and evaluate. Then lightly sand the trailing edge of the heavy side near but not right at the hub to equalize.

Oh yes, and I suggest instead of paying for a lens cap, just cut down that plastic shipping cover that they ship the P3S with, leave just over 1/4" on it and you can cover/remove easily.

So, if you're balancing your props like that, why does it matter which motor you install them on?

So, if you're balancing your props like that, why does it matter which motor you install them on?
Simple!

Because each Hub screw is going to be slightly different as far as its actual milling, you are ensuring that you are putting it and tightening it on the same post and not introducing slight variations in the prop plastic, which would start the wear process by alternating, this is just my opinion, but I believe the theory to be sound.

That sure is an interesting theory. It will likely be overkill, but if you have the time to spare.. ;)

That sure is an interesting theory. It will likely be overkill, but if you have the time to spare.. ;)

The thought goes like this:

We're using threaded props that are self tightening, so that fist time you place a particular prop onto a hub shaft, that shaft is going to cut into it.

Now, while repeated on / off cycles even on the same hub will eventually wear that prop, if you are alternating it, the minuscule difference in that first hub to another which may cut slightly different.

Basically, if you keep it to the original hub you first placed it on, you won't deal with that, as ideally it will have been the only hub shaft to cut into the plastic.

Guys that have electric R/C A/C with self tightening do the same (Left to left and right to right on ME)

:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20