Hello from Alaska

Reaction score
I bought a dji4 advanced last month while I am vacationing. My wife and I are on our way from AZ back to Alaska, we're teachers. Thought it would be nice to take vids and pics with a drone while heading home this summer. This is my first drone ever and so far I am very happy with it. Yesterday we stopped in the redwood forest in northern california and I had the bright idea to fly through the redwoods. First, no GPS signal was available. My first attempt at taking off saw the drone go about 50 ft straight up and no higher. So I landed, turned "something "on the app and took off again, much higher this time but almost uncontrollable. I flew the drone through a redwood tree and thought it was done for, the drone sounded like a weedwhacker! Luckily the drone was unharmed and I was able to get the drone back on the ground. The blades are in tact and I had to use water to wash all the green leaves and other stuff off,,,great video!

Welcome to the forum and your first post.

You may want to get some practice flying in open/safe areas just to play it safe going forward.

Looking forward to seeing some of your "Redwood" video.

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
0rojyyg-png.95983

The trees blocked out your GPS signal.You switched it over to atti / sports mode and then that way it would fly. You have to control it. It drifts a lot in that mode. That's why you hit the tree. Take Big A's advice.
Also welcome to the forum. You can learn a lot here teacher.

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in DJI quadcopters.

The trees blocked out your GPS signal.You switched it over to atti / sports mode and then that way it would fly. You have to control it. It drifts a lot in that mode. That's why you hit the tree. Take Big A's advice.
Also welcome to the forum. You can learn a lot here teacher.

Couldn't agree with this more. I bought my p4 last weekend and have been on this forum less than a week and already learnt so much. Asked lots of questions and every single one has been answered by various people, even had someone in my local area start chatting with me. Very helpful and friendly people on here so make the most of it!

Looking forwards to seeing pictures of this long drive though!!

Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

Welcome and hope you find this a very good resource as I have. Looking forward to seeing some nice shots of our 50th state.

Welcome to Phantom Pilots from Dayton Ohio. Definitely try flying in open area as mentioned above, make sure you have a good GPS fix first too. Fly safe and have fun!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl