Helicopter vs Drone..

Reactions: Harleydude
See ? Like we have been saying, a drone is no threat to a heli. I have had a couple of them SHOT out from under me, but not by drones. And even then we managed to sort of 'land' but it wasn't graceful. :oops:

I see it very differently. The "UnKnown Object" initially struck a non-critical component (Thank goodness). What if it had struck the main rotor, tail rotor, windshield etc? Honestly without lots of testing we can't say for sure but I wouldn't call striking the winglet and piercing a hole anything to dismiss.

Regardless I hope they find some more "information" to know exactly what did strike the aircraft. Without evidence it will be "assumed" it's a sUAS and potentially lead to stricter regulations.

It was a meteorite.
It looks to be a large area of impact. Maybe a jet emptied their toilet before landing and a chunk of blue ice hit them. Well if it was a drone, it was a big one, more then I can afford. Maybe a Amazon drone went crazy not being cared for making a bunch of deliveries. ?

Reading the story leaves more questions than answer, from the height of the flight (1100 feet) means it was something that is not Geofence. The main problem as always is that it may never be determined what happen or what it was, but the drone industry will suffer the blame adding more fuel to an anti drone fire.

It was a meteorite.
It looks to be a large area of impact. Maybe a jet emptied their toilet before landing and a chunk of blue ice hit them. Well if it was a drone, it was a big one, more then I can afford. Maybe a Amazon drone went crazy not being cared for making a bunch of deliveries. ?
I know this sounds absurd, but BIRD? There are a ( Mod Removed Language ) lot more BIG Fat Canadian Geese up there than drones. And as I understand it, they all have 400 feet waivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: weldor
OK guys I removed several post and don't mean for that to start back up.
Stay on topic or Don't Post

Gosh it made a unusual puncture wound,,what gauge alloy that 4mm or close,,that being on the curvature of wing is a solid point to puncture, either bird with steel beak or one solid drone,,....I didn't get to read previous postings so hope this not in that category
Screenshot_20191206-094635_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dronesky
I'd say its not a bird strike, seemingly there is no trace of biologic residue. Something solid hit this aircraft.

Ok me tryed investigate ,,bottom pic shows it large object since it damage along leading edge along from hole,,more of a scuff dent,,top and middle pic show phantom drone strike on a fighter jet wing,,I sure a drone would have made a similar mark,,,yip I probably watch to many mayday programs,,still has me thinking though.....put this one under the xfiles
20191206_150809.jpg
20191206_150837.jpg
20191206_150740.jpg

The truth is out there... :)

I see it very differently. The "UnKnown Object" initially struck a non-critical component (Thank goodness). What if it had struck the main rotor, tail rotor, windshield etc? Honestly without lots of testing we can't say for sure but I wouldn't call striking the winglet and piercing a hole anything to dismiss.

Regardless I hope they find some more "information" to know exactly what did strike the aircraft. Without evidence it will be "assumed" it's a sUAS and potentially lead to stricter regulations.
There is no proof that it was in fact a drone... but i concur.. real life scientific tests need to be conducted.

Jerry

A little odd the LAPD would send there own helicopter to same area shortly after. Could LAPD ground crew have gone to search for their own drone?

News Media and Pilot of Helie Jumped the shark on this. First no one saw a drone, 2nd the story says "likely", 3rd the strike zone is considerably larger than a consumer drone. 4th what kind of plastic drone can make that kind of cut in aluminum. 5th. Maybe the pilots a lier, and he hit something. FYI Living in LA I have seen a lot of News Helicopters get into some funky spaces trying to get 'their shots'

Reactions: droningandmore
News Media and Pilot of Helie Jumped the shark on this. First no one saw a drone, 2nd the story says "likely", 3rd the strike zone is considerably larger than a consumer drone. 4th what kind of plastic drone can make that kind of cut in aluminum. 5th. Maybe the pilots a lier, and he hit something. FYI Living in LA I have seen a lot of News Helicopters get into some funky spaces trying to get 'their shots'

The metal components (motors, batteries) of any Phantom-sized drone would easily penetrate the aluminum skin of the stabilizer in a collision at cruising speed.

This may or may not have been a drone strike, but anyone who thinks a drone strike could never be sufficient to bring down a heli is living in complete denial.
I’ve seen first hand the damage a medium-sized bird can do to a heli travelling at speed, and believe me it’s an eye opener.
An average consumer drone weighs twice as much and has solid components like lipos - they’re more than capable of inflicting enough damage to render a helicopter incapable of flight.
The drone doesn’t have to be travelling fast if the heli is travelling at well over 100kts - I think this is where some people underestimate the degree of damage that can be caused.

Any helicopter pilots here?

I talked to a few pilots before, one of them even owns a Phantom 4, and they didn’t think such a drone would be a big issue (not more than a large bird).

Gosh it made a unusual puncture wound,,what gauge alloy that 4mm or close,,that being on the curvature of wing is a solid point to puncture, either bird with steel beak or one solid drone,,....I didn't get to read previous postings so hope this not in that category View attachment 116020
Looks like a glancing blow from a bullet. Perhaps a stray shot from LA gangs at war?

Any helicopter pilots here?

I talked to a few pilots before, one of them even owns a Phantom 4, and they didn’t think such a drone would be a big issue (not more than a large bird).

Any pilots you’ve been speaking to are ill-informed:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic