Helicopter meet Phantom. Phantom lost

Apparently, nobody cared that the commercial drone pilot's day was ruined, and his means of earning a living was destroyed. He was not able to resume his work! :eek:

"After the technical personnel arrival to the scene, they viewed and check the helicopter and the spraying system and found them airworthy. The helicopter resumed its work and landed safely at his home base. "

"After exiting the helicopter, the pilot assessed visually the helicopter and found the UAS jammed and broken into the lattice spray system."

"UAS pilot (licensed) who worked for a local building company started his day, for mapping an area under construction, which was adjacent to the orange field where the helicopter sprayed."

Apparently, nobody cared that the commercial drone pilot's day was ruined, and his means of earning a living was destroyed. He was not able to resume his work! :eek:

"After the technical personnel arrival to the scene, they viewed and check the helicopter and the spraying system and found them airworthy. The helicopter resumed its work and landed safely at his home base. "

"After exiting the helicopter, the pilot assessed visually the helicopter and found the UAS jammed and broken into the lattice spray system."

"UAS pilot (licensed) who worked for a local building company started his day, for mapping an area under construction, which was adjacent to the orange field where the helicopter sprayed."
The drone operator had to have heard the helicopter working in the adjacent grove or was he oblivious to what was going on . using a mapping app drinking coffee while the drone did the work then he had a WTF moment spilled his coffee while searching for the remote to switch to manual mode . but then it was to late . just sarcasm! lmao but we will never know what really happened

The drone operator had to have heard the helicopter working in the adjacent grove or was he oblivious to what was going on . using a mapping app drinking coffee while the drone did the work then he had a WTF moment spilled his coffee while searching for the remote to switch to manual mode . but then it was to late . just sarcasm! lmao but we will never know what really happened
Nobody cares that the drone operator's day was ruined by the helicopter chewing it up his drone in the lattice spray system. :( We don't matter! :eek:

1. When doing Pre-deployment surveys in the UK I see plenty of NOTAMS filed by crop spraying companies.
Is it a requirement in the US?

2. When operating a drone in an area where crops are likely to need spraying, I think that it would be very high on anyones risk assessment list. Even if you don't do a written RA you should still do a mental one.

3. It strikes me (pun intended) that an AC setting out to cover every square foot of an area with chemicals and a drone, mapping an overlapping area, is an incident waiting to happen and, it appears that it did. Surpirising?

4. These were, presumably, pre-planned operations with no life threatening urgency. The fact that it actually occurred flies in the face (sorry, another one) of everything which commercial operators are meant to get right.

Sounds like the drone operator acted appropriately once he detected the heli. I am curious how, if he was operating VLOS, that he did not SEE the heli early enough to AVOID it. Not trying to place blame on the drone operator but just trying to figure out what could have prevented this mishap. Not enough information its provided in the article to learn from it.

It sounds like a case where, even when everyone is acting appropriately, accidents can still happen. [Language Removed by Moderator] - laws and regulations can't prevent every accident. And even if the drone operator had been required to take a flight test as part of his certification I am not convinced that it would have prevented this accident.

Glad that no one get hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, but that's still getting away from the point that, even if some, or even many, Part 107 operators are also hobbyists, Part 107 is not a hobby certification, so that is not a good supporting reason.
And yet there have been people here suggesting that every drone operator should have a Part 107 permit.

The FCC example may be a good one though. There is certainly no reason for the testing not to be delegated to other organizations - just like Part 107 already is. The question is whether a purely hobby organization is appropriate.
Substitute "purely hobby organization" with "a well -established non-profit organization with a vested interest in what happens to model aviation".

upload_2018-8-26_11-2-20.jpeg

Great way to support a related non-profit, methinks.

YMMV.

And yet there have been people here suggesting that every drone operator should have a Part 107 permit.

Substitute "purely hobby organization" with "a well -established non-profit organization with a vested interest in what happens to model aviation".

View attachment 102799

Great way to support a related non-profit, methinks.

YMMV.

It might work, but it would need a change in the AMA Charter and mission statement. I still think that the biggest hurdle is that Part 107 has nothing to do with model aircraft. These UAVs, at least as used for Part 107 activities, are not model aircraft and are not being used for recreation.

Nobody cares that the drone operator's day was ruined by the helicopter chewing it up his drone in the lattice spray system. :( We don't matter! :eek:
While is SUCKS the sUAS operator lost his aircraft but in the big picture it's not really a big deal. A responsible sUAS operator has plenty of insurance to cover their aircraft and hopefully plenty to cover another one if they happen to be in the wrong. I'm pretty sure buying a new Phantom is probably the best possible outcome as he could be buying a new Helo, a burial plot, bail, fines, and a lot more.

Yes and it's a VERY good idea indeed. But what does a hobby flight have to do with the fact the whole reason for this thread was a purely commercial endeavor?

How in the world is a hobby sUAS operator going to be able to fly the SAME aircraft in the SAME airspace as every other operator and do so SAFELY without any requirement to know and follow the most basic of aviation rules and guidelines? Without a requirement for some basic training/study followed by testing how would a hobby flyer have a chance to fly safe?

If you're not going to know and follow the rules of the road you should only be allowed to operate a small WiFi or better yet IR controlled aircraft so that if only flies a few dozen feet before losing signal and powers down tumbling to terra firma.

Reactions: DKG13CC and sar104
While is SUCKS the sUAS operator lost his aircraft but in the big picture it's not really a big deal. A responsible sUAS operator has plenty of insurance to cover their aircraft and hopefully plenty to cover another one if they happen to be in the wrong. I'm pretty sure buying a new Phantom is probably the best possible outcome as he could be buying a new Helo, a burial plot, bail, fines, and a lot more.
Agreed. My post was meant as tongue in cheek, but I did find it ironic that the helicoper pilot was able to resume his spraying immediately after, while the drone operator, at the very least, was out any income for the day, including the images already captured, and out all income until a replacement aircraft could be secured. Helicopter vs. Drone. Helicopter unscathed. Drone destroyed. Tank runs into mosquito. Splat. That's the most likely scenario. Not Armageddon, although anything is possible.

Reactions: BigAl07
Agreed. My post was meant as tongue in cheek, but I did find it ironic that the helicoper pilot was able to resume his spraying immediately after, while the drone operator, at the very least, was out any income for the day, including the images already captured, and out all income until a replacement aircraft could be secured. Helicopter vs. Drone. Helicopter unscathed. Drone destroyed. Tank runs into mosquito. Splat. That's the most likely scenario. Not Armageddon, although anything is possible.

If it were me, even with a backup UAV for the work (which I'm guessing most commercial pilots will have), I don't think I'd be flying that location again that same day.

If it were me, even with a backup UAV for the work (which I'm guessing most commercial pilots will have), I don't think I'd be flying that location again that same day.

We always carry at least 1 spare but there is no way I would fly that area again without careful coordination with the AG spraying company.

As a side note, I was flying at a Private Airstrip today (land owner by my side) and he told me, "This is my own private strip and other than an emergency no one will be flying here because my plane is in the hanger waiting on a part to come in."

Well about 10 minutes into our flight (shooting an event for a client) we heard what was either an airplane or a very loud and fast motorcycle in the vicinity. Around the bend comes a Van's Aircraft RV 4 (or 6) I'm guessing and does a high speed Touch-N-Go 15 feet in front of us. He came up about 400', hit the runway and climbed like a home-sick angel not to be seen again. The land owner was speechless and I just had to chuckle. That's why we keep our heads on a swivel at all times. See image below to see my proximity to runway/strip. . .

BiltmoreBaptism_Aug26_2018(3)RED.jpg

Last edited:
We always carry at least 1 spare but there is no way I would fly that area again without careful coordination with the AG spraying company.

As a side note, I was flying at a Private Airstrip today (land owner by my side) and he told me, "This is my own private strip and other than an emergency no one will be flying here because my plane is in the hanger waiting on a part to come in."

Well about 10 minutes into our flight (shooting an event for a client) we heard what was either an airplane or a very loud and fast motorcycle in the vicinity. Around the bend comes a Van's Aircraft RV 4 (or 6) I'm guessing and does a high speed Touch-N-Go 15 feet in front of us. He came up about 400', hit the runway and climbed like a home-sick angel not to be seen again. The land owner was speechless and I just had to chuckle. That's why we keep our heads on a swivel at all times. See image below to see my proximity to runway/strip. . .

View attachment 102826
Wow. So he did an unpermissioned touch and go on that guy’s private airstrip?

Wow. So he did an unpermissioned touch and go on that guy’s private airstrip?

That's exactly what happened. That's pretty much a No-No but sometimes a beautiful strip is hard to ignore LOL.

Indeed. Apparently the helicopter pilot's pesticide spraying trumped the drone pilot's daily surveying operation for the rest of the day. Ideally, some coordination between the two would solve the problem with a backup aircraft. Uncoordinated Fight 1: Helicopter wins by knockout!
Coordinated Fight 2: A draw! No losers! :cool:

I'm gob smacked at how many seem to think this ok as both pilots were operating in accordance and both licenced. This is inches from disater where someone could have lost their life. If that drone had gone through the wind screen, hit the main or tail rotor it would have been tickets. You guys have some major flaws in your regulations. How do 2 pilots operate for a long period of time in the same airspace and not even know about one another. In South Africa this would not have been possible and not be someones fault. I'm a licenced pilot here and the licence is quite strict. Our RPL is very similar to a PPL, we do radio calls before we take off and when we land, we do a full feasibilty study and risk assesment and looking at the Notams for the area we operating in is part of that. Why did the drone pilot not make contact by radio or find out who the crop sraying company is and phone them. Very unlikely that he didnt see the helicopter operating in the area before hand. Would the crop spraying company not have to file a Notam for crop spraying in an area?

I'm gob smacked at how many seem to think this ok as both pilots were operating in accordance and both licenced. This is inches from disater where someone could have lost their life. If that drone had gone through the wind screen, hit the main or tail rotor it would have been tickets. You guys have some major flaws in your regulations. How do 2 pilots operate for a long period of time in the same airspace and not even know about one another. In South Africa this would not have been possible and not be someones fault. I'm a licenced pilot here and the licence is quite strict. Our RPL is very similar to a PPL, we do radio calls before we take off and when we land, we do a full feasibilty study and risk assesment and looking at the Notams for the area we operating in is part of that. Why did the drone pilot not make contact by radio or find out who the crop sraying company is and phone them. Very unlikely that he didnt see the helicopter operating in the area before hand. Would the crop spraying company not have to file a Notam for crop spraying in an area?
Questions you're asking are for South Africa.They really don't apply everywhere else. I think that's why others didn't ask the questions you're asking. And you make very valid points.

Questions you're asking are for South Africa.They really don't apply everywhere else. I think that's why others didn't ask the questions you're asking. And you make very valid points.

Sure I get the regulations are different but even before our regulations came out and when I wasnt licenced. If I was operating in an area where a aircraft or helicopter was operating or if their was a heli port etc. I would phone them and find out what activity is happening and let them know that I'm operating a drone in the area. I find full scale are very accomodating if you let them know what you doing. They just want to stay safe. I also hire conventional helicopters to do some of my work and know the uncomfortable feeling when you have a near miss with another flying aircraft.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4