Helical antenna with stock omni?

Reaction score
So I finally got me SMA adapters to fit the IBcrazy 5 turn Helical antenna to my Black Pearl monitor. I put everything together and went out to fly and got GREAT distance, 2.29 miles (3,700 meters). However I noticed during the flight that the BP was mostly using the stock omni directional antenna and NOT the Helical. What gives?? I do still have the stock omni directional antenna on the IRC 600 watt transmitter but this doesn't seem right.

Help?

Thanks,
Landon

Xanadu said:
So I finally got me SMA adapters to fit the IBcrazy 5 turn Helical antenna to my Black Pearl monitor. I put everything together and went out to fly and got GREAT distance, 2.29 miles (3,700 meters). However I noticed during the flight that the BP was mostly using the stock omni directional antenna and NOT the Helical. What gives?? I do still have the stock omni directional antenna on the IRC 600 watt transmitter but this doesn't seem right.

Help?

Thanks,
Landon

If you are using the stock whip antennas with a helical, it won't work that well. The whip antennas are linearly polarized and the helical is circularly polarized. You need to get a RHCP clover leaf antenna to work best with the helical.

Also get a skew planar antenna to for the other antenna nub on the BP :D And DO NOT, get the cheap clover leaf and skew planar antennas you find on ebay, the ones with the white cap enclosure. They are not even tuned to 5.8ghz even though they clame to be... more like 7.0ghz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oi ya!

I was going to get the IBcrazy Mad mushroom RHCP clover set. Will that work?

Thanks for your help!

Xanadu said:
I was going to get the IBcrazy Mad mushroom RHCP clover set. Will that work?

Thanks for your help!

no problem. I've never tried it, but just as long as it's RHCP and the same frequency, you should be fine.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl