5.8Ghz Omni Directional Antenna Recommendations Anyone...

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am looking to replace the 10dbi 5.8ghz Omni directional Antenna that came with my Argtek kit.

I found Rokland has this one:

Alfa 9 dBi gain (white) ARS-N19W indoor dipole antenna RP-SMA connecto

I know it is only 9dbi but I've read that that their 2.4ghz panel antenna replacements are very good quality.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which I should be looking at as a replacement?

Thank in advance for your suggestions,

Manny

Wow that thing is huge,,and it says its heavy,,you gonna tripod it manny? I'd be curious as to how it works out for you,,I've got the argtek base coming in the mail,,,

I'll add the pic,because I'm curious if anybody has used this massive antenna,,
3b5ee8722a22df5137b8dd2d501ff454.jpg

Ok I just read through it again,,that's a 2.4 ghz,antenna it will not work for 5.8 as you want to do,,sorry.

Here is a far more practical way to get some better gain at 5.8 GHz. I have been flying with this as a replacement for my alfa panel antenna, and I like it. Far easier to point correctly, and it performs very well with great range.

Remember, you don't really want the highest gain you can get in an antenna. The only way to get higher gain is to increase directionality, and that increased directionality means greater difficulty in pointing correctly, which leads to more frequent link breaks unless you are a perfect pointing robot. What good is a high gain antenna that is so twitchy with pointing that you can't keep the link in contact? My own experience has been that 9 dbi gain or thereabouts, is about the most gain that I can stand with a handheld RC trying to point at a moving aircraft. I tried some higher gain panel antennas and didn't like them.

Also, the half dipole has a torroidal radiation pattern (basically a donut around the pole) which radiates 360 degrees, so it concentrates energy in a narrow elevation band, but wastes it by spreading in all around you. It is too directional in elevation, and not enough directional in azimuth. The patch antenna is equally sensitive in both x and y dimensions, so you can get more gain with a smaller physical size, and it's easier to point in my opinion.

This one is much better than stock and seems to be in the sweet spot for me. YMMV.

Hyperion 5.8ghz Double RHOMBIC 9dbi Patch Antenna SMA - FPV Antenna - Got Heli RC LLC

Last edited:
THANK YOU both for the great information!

The challenge for me is I fly in the North Eastern part of the U.S. so between the leaf coverage most of the year and all the elevation shifts around here finding a range extender that works well is a challenge.

I know I probably will never see the distances our Midwest and prairie land members see but I think if l can improve signal strength a bit more on the outer ranges without having to go too high up I will be happier.

I'm not a straight line distance flier so I will research that Rhombic antenna you suggested Skyhog. Do you have any photos of you mounting solutions?

As far as mounting the Rhombic antenna, it is fairly easy if you already have the Argtek kit. Just mount it to the center RP-SMA connector on the red cable. That cable is a semi-rigid RF cable, meaning that you can bend it to whatever angle suits you as you hold your RC in flight, and it will maintain that shape. That way you can just point the rhombic directly at the bird with whatever position it is comfortable to hold the RC. I found that was another advantage versus trying to keep a vertical monopole at a 90 degree angle to the bird.

I think that's the one Matt175 has tried,,if I remember correctly he really liked it,,,

I've seen this one advertised, but I haven't tried it yet. I have one on the way right now.

Well, I received the YKS antenna, installed it, and finished one test flight. So far, I'm a little disappointed. I definitely didn't get the performance I was getting with the Hyperion dual rhombic antenna. I could only get roughly 800 ft out of the YKS, before getting the signal disconnect and RTH. After cancelling RTH,and trying again about ten times, I gave up. From this same spot, I could usually get about 2000 to 3330 with my trusty Hyperion dual rhombic. It's always hard to draw conclusions from one flight, and it was more humid and cloudy today, so I'll try again later. But...

I noticed that my controller signal strength did not fade away gracefully. Instead it went from full bars to two bars to zero bars in a matter of seconds, which could be a sign of pointing problems. I know the YKS claims to have 14 dbi gain, which sounds very high for a patch antenna of this size. But even if it does get 14 dbi in some part of the radiation pattern, it might be a thinner beam than I can handhold reliably. The Hyperion is slightly smaller, with a claim of 9 dbi, which is entirely believable, but I'd bet it has a more user friendly radiation pattern (would be nice to have access to a real antenna range to measure this stuff reliably). More tests to follow when the weather improves.

I fly a P4 Pro Plus. I'm happy with the range I am getting (standard RC with just a windsurfer added), but I would be happier with the same range I'm getting but not have to worry too much about antenna's pointed in the right direction. Sometimes I fly from the top of a mountain and it's not always easy to know exactly which way to point the RC. Found these on Amazon (on eBay too). Would these help in my goal ?

Amazon.com: Drone Fans Remote Controller DIY Refitting Antenna Kit 2.4G 5.8G Antenna Range Extender for DJI Phantom 4PRO PRO+ Inspire 2: Toys & Games

It is available but coming from Hong Kong, it's a long wait. More important, does anybody know if they do as advertised ?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj