Haven't flown for over a year

Reaction score
My drones have sat in their cases for over a year and I'm taking one with me on a desert trip this week. I charged the batteries, updated the firmware and had to link my RC with the aircraft. Is there anything I'm missing? I took it for a little check out flight and it seemed like it wasn't holding its position very well. There was a breeze but I've flown in windier conditions before. I'm a little rusty so any advice you might have would be helpful. I hope to use the follow me mode while four wheeling in the desert. I've watched a couple tutorials and I think I can get it to do what its supposed to do.

You need to check flight batteries.
Did you get new ones?
Did you maintain 50% charge during storage?
If not stored at near half charge and after sitting unused for a year they have likely lost capacity. They will charge up fully but flight time will be reduced.

Before taking your trip, just go to a nearby open field and check if all is working well. Wait for Home point set up and calibrate compass and then fly. If all ok, take it to your trip.

No need to calibrate compass. Not affected by storage.

No need to calibrate compass. Not affected by storage.

Technically yes, he need not calibrate but you never know in what conditions the drone was stored and it takes just two minutes to do it again.

No need to recal.

____________Bottom line : "Keep it in Beginners mode".....for a few flights around the field....Then when you feel like your All ready for much more speed and altitude ! Shut down that mode and take that quad UP and enjoy !

Reactions: Windwalker7
My drones have sat in their cases for over a year and I'm taking one with me on a desert trip this week. I charged the batteries, updated the firmware and had to link my RC with the aircraft. Is there anything I'm missing? I took it for a little check out flight and it seemed like it wasn't holding its position very well. There was a breeze but I've flown in windier conditions before. I'm a little rusty so any advice you might have would be helpful. I hope to use the follow me mode while four wheeling in the desert. I've watched a couple tutorials and I think I can get it to do what its supposed to do.
Since you chose to update FW, I hope that you are aware of the significant flight distance restrictions with the latest FW that need to be removed. Click here to read about it, get some of the background, and how to remove the restrictions.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31