Have you ever done this?

Reaction score
While I'm still a week away from my P3, my friend has invited me to the roof of his building to fly my P3. Now we're talking 40 stories up on the Chicago lakefront. The videos could be epic. The chance for disaster seems just as epic. If I lose it from up there, it is gone for good, even if it doesn't go into the lake. OK, I will have a cellular transponder on it, so I might find it. Has anyone ever flown like this off a very tall building?

A guy in new York did. Slam into a few buildings before crashing down below. Cops and even the news caught the owner. But you have more knowledge than him u should do fine

Be aware of wind currents caused by the buildings - very unpredictable...

I'm also in Chicago, and it would be awesome to do this! My question though is what is the legality of doing this? Can one legally fly downtown?

Be aware of wind currents caused by the buildings - very unpredictable...

+1

Be aware of the winds and eddies around the building corner. Can be very tricky. Once you're clear of the building you should be in smooth wind, but be aware that wind speeds increase with altitude, so being 40 stories up will probably have much higher winds than at ground level. How high is your pucker factor?

I seen videos online, looks pretty cool, I'm also in chicago and was planning on flying near navy pier....if legal of course

b51.gif

Reactions: Brett_Meyer
Epic footage often requires risk. Do what it takes to get the shot!

I think I would avoid revealing the launch position in the edit though. Just in case, for anonymity sake.

Reactions: AdamTr
While I'm still a week away from my P3, my friend has invited me to the roof of his building to fly my P3. Now we're talking 40 stories up on the Chicago lakefront. The videos could be epic. The chance for disaster seems just as epic. If I lose it from up there, it is gone for good, even if it doesn't go into the lake. OK, I will have a cellular transponder on it, so I might find it. Has anyone ever flown like this off a very tall building?

Its definitely possible. Where I live in Dubai here, some guys were base jumping off the roof of the tower in which i live. You can see drone footage in this video - the drone took off from the roof on the 97th floor...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

As soon as you take off you will be over the 400 feet guidelines. if something happens you are screwed. yes it will look cool but is it worth the trouble.

Hell, you couldn't even get me up to that roof, much less jump off!

For that shot, I think I'd consider taking off from the ground and waiting at 300-400 feet altitude and a safe distance away and shoot them as they go by...

A guy in new York did. Slam into a few buildings before crashing down below. Cops and even the news caught the owner. But you have more knowledge than him u should do fine
And even though I've nearly amassed 1 million views from my videos that will always be my absolute favourite lmao
I'm still jealous in a sick sorta way ;)

Some of my best videos are from places I shouldn't have flow. I risk assessed them and when I realised it was less than a 50/50 chance of getting caught I went for it. In my mind I had to get the shot. I'm still not locked up

Its definitely possible. Where I live in Dubai here, some guys were base jumping off the roof of the tower in which i live. You can see drone footage in this video - the drone took off from the roof on the 97th floor...

That's the sickest thing I've ever seen!

Balance the risk and the rewards. The 400 limit is a guideline not enforceable by law (yet) so as long as your responsible and perform within your abilities then go for it.

Risk is minimized as your skill and experience increase so I'd get in a bunch of flights first. Fly on a gusty day in a field and see how the phantom reacts then once your confident, take it to your friends. Oh and be mentally prepared if you loose it!

Good luck

All my favorite things skydiving, base jumping, zipline, drones all in one place Im so going. I here they have a Atlantis resort to.8))

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31