Have you ever done this?

I do almost all my filming in urban landscapes. I've shot a lot of material in downtown Chicago. My advice would be to only do it when you have a lot of experience and a lot flying in less urban areas. These are just some of the considerations I have to take to shoot safely in an urban area:
  • Avoid busy periods, rush hours, etc.
  • Avoid VIP presence, special events, sensitive areas, anything that can be construed as a security threat without local clearance.
  • No shooting over crowds, even small groups of people require you have someone near them with comms in case something happens.
  • No flights during TFRs (concerts, sporting events).
  • Know where all helipads and other air traffic sources are.
  • Fly at or below the roof lines to avoid any air traffic you miss.
  • Watch out for significant RF sources.
  • Maintain distance from magnetic sources - e.g. metal bridges, skyscrapers, etc.
  • Watch out for wind tunnels / turbulence created by buildings.
  • Avoid hovering next to residential apt windows. Respect the residents.
And Chicago weather is not drone friendly either. When it's not butt cold, it's cloudy and when it's not cloudy, it's windy as all get out.

furniture-01.jpg

Reactions: -terry and DrChris
I was going to say pretty much the same thing as Cooter3690 Tho more so pertaining to even if you have even a lot of experience flying any other phantoms or not. This would not be very advisable to do for the p3s maiden flight. Or one any models maiden flight even if it was a model you have had experience with It. Its always a good Idea to give it a gentle flight to verify every thing works right and make sure there are no gremlins in it. and make sure your battery is good and see what kind of time you get out of 50% of the battery and what not then recharge and take it on more of a shake down cruise or two and test out some more of its limits. before attempting any real critical missions such as flying off buildings or esp over any water.

I do almost all my filming in urban landscapes. I've shot a lot of material in downtown Chicago. My advice would be to only do it when you have a lot of experience and a lot flying in less urban areas. These are just some of the considerations I have to take to shoot safely in an urban area:
  • Avoid busy periods, rush hours, etc.
  • Avoid VIP presence, special events, sensitive areas, anything that can be construed as a security threat without local clearance.
  • No shooting over crowds, even small groups of people require you have someone near them with comms in case something happens.
  • No flights during TFRs (concerts, sporting events).
  • Know where all helipads and other air traffic sources are.
  • Fly at or below the roof lines to avoid any air traffic you miss.
  • Watch out for significant RF sources.
  • Maintain distance from magnetic sources - e.g. metal bridges, skyscrapers, etc.
  • Watch out for wind tunnels / turbulence created by buildings.
  • Avoid hovering next to residential apt windows. Respect the residents.
And Chicago weather is not drone friendly either. When it's not butt cold, it's cloudy and when it's not cloudy, it's windy as all get out.

furniture-01.jpg
Good guidelines. Thanks.

All my favorite things skydiving, base jumping, zipline, drones all in one place Im so going. I here they have a Atlantis resort to.8))

Skydive Dubai is literally the best place in the world to skydive my friend. Aerial views of the palm island :)

In terms of the 400ft thing, there is NOTHING here in the UAE at the moment in terms of laws, so flying from a roof is not illegal. Always fly safe though, and risk assess.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl