Have DBS antenna need amp recomendations

Reaction score
I have read all the threads I can find on the subject of DBS/FPVLR antenna setups and cant quite find what I am after. If anyone knows of a thread where the following can be found please let me know. Thank you.

Please don't respond talking about the need for amps or any other b.s. I have read as much as I can on the subject and talked to a few people and have decided I want what I want, I just need help finding it.

I already have a DBS 02 antenna for my P3A (haven't made it back in town to install it and test yet).

I want to buy a booster/amp setup for it.

I have seen where some companies will sell you an entire setup like the FPVLR and Horizon FPV. I already have the antenna, I just need the amps, battery, and bracket setup. Doesn't look like FPVLR will sell theirs without their antenna as well.

I like how the Horizon FPV battery/amp/bracket setup looks/works under the RC. I can buy their Anker battery and amps separately. It looks like they will even eventually sell their kit without an antenna. It says expected release date was Feb 1st but doesn't look like it is for sale yet. And they are in England so shipping will be a nightmare.

Does anyone have any recommendations for parts to buy (battery,amps,bracket,cables) or complete kits (less antenna) and where to buy? I have seen the Sunhans gold 3 watt antenna online and it shows it comes with cables.... but what cables? and what cables do I need? I can TIG up a bracket fairly quickly so I don't want to pay a crazy amount of money just for a bracket, UNLESS ITS REALLY SHINY ;-)

Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you

Reactions: Long range Jim
I can't vouch for it with the DBS since I don't have DBS but maybe someone who is running it with boosters can. I would say 2.4ghz is 2.4ghz so it should work. You would need 2 SMA male-male cables too.

Also, I think I read somewhere that there is a special sequence to powering on the remote and the boosters... I forget which way but if you do it wrong you can fry you radio.

Edit: Don't turn on the remote without the antenna connected :)

I have read all the threads I can find on the subject of DBS/FPVLR antenna setups and cant quite find what I am after. If anyone knows of a thread where the following can be found please let me know. Thank you.

Please don't respond talking about the need for amps or any other b.s. I have read as much as I can on the subject and talked to a few people and have decided I want what I want, I just need help finding it.

I already have a DBS 02 antenna for my P3A (haven't made it back in town to install it and test yet).

I want to buy a booster/amp setup for it.

I have seen where some companies will sell you an entire setup like the FPVLR and Horizon FPV. I already have the antenna, I just need the amps, battery, and bracket setup. Doesn't look like FPVLR will sell theirs without their antenna as well.

I like how the Horizon FPV battery/amp/bracket setup looks/works under the RC. I can buy their Anker battery and amps separately. It looks like they will even eventually sell their kit without an antenna. It says expected release date was Feb 1st but doesn't look like it is for sale yet. And they are in England so shipping will be a nightmare.

Does anyone have any recommendations for parts to buy (battery,amps,bracket,cables) or complete kits (less antenna) and where to buy? I have seen the Sunhans gold 3 watt antenna online and it shows it comes with cables.... but what cables? and what cables do I need? I can TIG up a bracket fairly quickly so I don't want to pay a crazy amount of money just for a bracket, UNLESS ITS REALLY SHINY ;-)

Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you

Dude you don't need to amp a DBS antenna? That's just crazy talk!

I'm just kidding! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I can't vouch for it with the DBS since I don't have DBS but maybe someone who is running it with boosters can. I would say 2.4ghz is 2.4ghz so it should work. You would need 2 SMA male-male cables too.

Also, I think I read somewhere that there is a special sequence to powering on the remote and the boosters... I forget which way but if you do it wrong you can fry you radio.

Edit: Don't turn on the remote without the antenna connected :)

Man that's good info thank you. More to read about. If anyone know the sequence please let us know. Thanks for the info on the cables.

Dude you don't need to amp a DBS antenna? That's just crazy talk!

I'm just kidding! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

There is absolutely no room on this forum for humor!!!!...... bahahahaha

Whenever I do get to the bottom of all this and make it work I'll post a how to with some part numbers so dumb asses like me can finger it out easier.

Regarding the cables, you'll likely find out later that using 90 degree SMA connectors on one end or both ends of the RF cables will work more streamlined. I bought mine on Ebay, made in China, custom length. Some of the Chinese vendors that sell standard cables on Ebay will also fabricate custom length cables with your choice of connectors (180D or 90D) on each end. You just have to ask them. All you really need to do is make up a illustration of what you want and you'll get a quote. Although they are custom made, my experience was they are fabricated in one day and shipped out, arriving in about 10 days. They aren't expensive either, about $5/cable. I bought one set with a braided shield outer skin because they looked so rugged and high quality. These custom cables were inexpensive, I bought several types from a couple of vendors. They all worked great, the quality is pretty good considering I was expecting worse.

Here's one of the vendors I used.

Here's the other vendor I used.

Last edited:
Reactions: Noble 1
Thank you that will help a lot. I will look into them.

Guess step 1 would be starting on bracket and placement before I order cables. Or maybe start with $10 worth of generic cables to get flying and then order nice fitted set when I figure out how I am going to set it up.

Yeah I read that too - in one of the P2 forums.

As I remember, and this will be in laymans terms, the amp is sensitive to input and can be damaged if the input is to high. But when you initally power up your transmitter, there is a SPIKE on the initial start up which is higher than what the amp can accept happily. So in that thread, the writer suggested turning on the transmitter first, and then the amp second. That way the amp never "feels" the spike.

The problem with that scenario, at least in my mind, is the risk of burning out the transmitter - because if the amp is off, it seems to me the signal is not moving to the antenna, which we all know is unhealthy to transmitters.

What FPVLR recommended in that thread (quoted second-hand from the OP) was the use of an antennuator between the transmitter and amp which will soften the initial spike of the transmitter. So with the antennuator in place, you'd start the amp first, the transmitter second.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Noble 1
I'd prefer to find the thread so you could read it yourself and I can't find it. I can tell you about the one I bought though, based on that thread. It has "ATTENUATOR" and "SMA-JK6G-6dB" printed on it (I spelled attenuator incorrectly in the post above). I bought it on some obscure site, not Amazon, not eBay. It was around ten or twelve bucks. Hope this helps.

The new 2016 gold sunhans 3w 2.4 ghz amps are little bit smaller than the black 2015 model and they offer more options for powering them up. Those might also be worth checking out.

so do you think I will need them with the 3w gold sunhans 2.4ghz?
The gold sunhans are basically the same specs as the black 2015 amps. The only difference being that the gold ones are smaller and have a couple more options for powering them up. You can use a usb style battery . But the specs are the same as the previous model.

thanks for the info. does anyone know what connector type and gender are on the back of the DBS antenna? I won't be home for another week and I am trying to order some short cables to go from the amps to the antenna. Amp shows to be RP SMA Female to antenna end.

Thanks guys.

thanks for the info. does anyone know what connector type and gender are on the back of the DBS antenna? I won't be home for another week and I am trying to order some short cables to go from the amps to the antenna. Amp shows to be RP SMA Female to antenna end.

Thanks guys.
The dbs antenna has 2 sma female connections .

Perfect that completes my connection types.

Looks like amp out is RP SMA female to SMA female at antenna.

Radio out is SMA female to sma female at amp input.

Cables to order

(2) 6" SMA male to SMA male right angle

(2) 6" SMA male to RP SMA male. Shows the amp comes with these in 8". Want to order some 6" with 90° angles on one end.

Going to go with the Anker power core 13400 with dual 5v 2a usb outs.

Do you think 5v will hinder power to the amps performance vs 12v?

Reactions: phantom13flyer
I have the DBS antenna on my P3P and wanted to try it boosted as well and went with a RexUav setup like this.
DJI Phantom 3 ULTIMATE Signal Booster Kit

I'm going to try both antennas and see which works best for my area that I fly in. It comes with all the extra wires and he's even sending it with some cool braided flexible cables as well so everything will be nice an clean when attached. If you just want the amps and battery try mount he sells those too. He can set you up with anything you need just ask him.
His Battery/booster tray.
DJI Sunhans Booster Battery Bracket

His mini 2016 sunhan gold boosters.
Sunhans eSunRc 3W 2.4GHz mini-Wifi Signal Booster, 1-3 day shipping

Good info I hope it works for you. Let us know which does better in you area.

I will probably have about $250 in my amp/battery/and cable set before I get into the bracket so you your definitely saving money with his kit.

Personally I wasn't sure of those premade kits would fit my antenna and what not and I wasn't a fan of any of their brackets except the horizon fpv. (Which isn't for sale yet). I also didn't want to have to drag around another charger. The Anker battery bank uses my Samsung micro sd charger I already have everywhere I go.

There is definitely a market for a nice amp bracket for these radios. Preferably something bolt on and permanent and sturdy. (Shiny helps too) haha.

I am thinking about making an offset stud/ flat plate setup that sits off back of remote about an inch (room for fingers) and strapping amps and battery on top of plate between radio and plate. I'll post pics whenever I get that far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.