Have DBS antenna need amp recomendations

I received my RexUav boosted setup today. Only took a few minutes to assembly and it popped right onto my TX without any problems. Here's some pics of it with the DBS antenna non-boosted then a few pics with the Rex antenna & boosters. Also one thing that cool is when you want to run your DBS antenna with the boosters the DBS mount clears the RexUav booster holder no problem. Will take a pic of that so you guys can see it if you want to run boosters with the DBS antenna. Now I just need some time to test out both antennas with and without boosters to see which works best for my area.

IMGA0271.JPG IMGA0272.JPG IMGA0283.JPG IMGA0279.JPG IMGA0275.JPG IMGA0281.JPG

Hopefully someone smart will chime in and explain better, but heres the basics:

They have lower watt amps and even dual amps. But you can't split the antenna feeds. There are 2 feeds and 2 antennas and 2 seperated streams of data going through each. 1 line is for your remote and 1 line is for the video. On the P3A and P3P they are both 2.4ghz. On the P3S one is 2.4ghz and one is 5.8ghz. They sell cheaper sunhans amps that are only 2 watt (or maybe less) but they require exact power inputs. The 3w gold amps have several power voltage options making them work with a wider assortment of power supplies. Even if you don't plan on distance flights they will improve your range nearby when behind objects and trees.

In my opinion it sounds like if you don't think you need max amplification I wouldn't even mess with it. Just put on the upgraded DBS antenna and see if that's enough. You can always come back and add amps and battery.

On the P3 remote just like the Inspire 1 remote one antenna is Send and the other is Receive. The antenna's do not both Send and Receive. Doesn't make a lot of sense to boost the Receive side.

No I haven't made it home to install the antenna. I got 12800ft yesterday. That was in south Texas in oil field leases. My bird is currently a bone stock P3A, no mods aside from 32 channel (which didn't seem to change my range yet).

I live in North texas and have flown in my neighborhood. 10-30 acre lots with houses pretty spread out. I get about 11000ft there.

I have flown in Allen texas in more densely populated area and still was able to get 11000ft.

Right now it seems like when I run out of range with camera pointed away I can turn it towards me and yaw away and it keeps going further.

There is definitely an art to pointing remote directly at the bird to increase range and re connect when it starts dropping out.

~21,000ft stock P3A and Remote and not in the country, suburbs of a medium size city.

I made it home tonight an installed the antenna alone for now for testing. I am seriously disappointed with DJI. I have been thinking my radio seemed loose and cheap since day 1. Now I know why... all but 1 set of screw mount posts were blown out. Lol somebody on the Chinese assembly line is over tightening them lol. After I finished my install I dug through my rc screws and found some longer replacements to go in deeper and tighten down on what was left of the posts.

Now for the install... pretty straight forward. Especially disassembly since I only had to remove 1 main screw and the 4 small screws on the usb plate.

The longer shank cables I ordered on ebay fit well into the original antenna holes except the inside of the cable stuck into the scroll wheel mounts on each side. I was able to "clearance them" a little and make it work. I would recommend getting some that the inside is angled or more flexible if you want to run them through the original holes so you don't have to "clearance" like I did.

I was able to trim back the plastic that sticks out from the original holes and use a rubber backed steel washer to cover the larger holes left open and mount the shanks. They are plenty long enough to still attach an antenna cable.

I briefly powered up and made sure I had a good connection and all my radio functions were still working properly.

I will make a test flight tomorrow and post my results with the new antenna before I tackle the amp/battery setup tomorrow night. I'll add picks of the cable "clearance" and install tomorrow night as well as the links to the parts I used.

I made it home tonight an installed the antenna alone for now for testing. I am seriously disappointed with DJI. I have been thinking my radio seemed loose and cheap since day 1. Now I know why... all but 1 set of screw mount posts were blown out. Lol somebody on the Chinese assembly line is over tightening them lol. After I finished my install I dug through my rc screws and found some longer replacements to go in deeper and tighten down on what was left of the posts.

Now for the install... pretty straight forward. Especially disassembly since I only had to remove 1 main screw and the 4 small screws on the usb plate.

The longer shank cables I ordered on ebay fit well into the original antenna holes except the inside of the cable stuck into the scroll wheel mounts on each side. I was able to "clearance them" a little and make it work. I would recommend getting some that the inside is angled or more flexible if you want to run them through the original holes so you don't have to "clearance" like I did.

I was able to trim back the plastic that sticks out from the original holes and use a rubber backed steel washer to cover the larger holes left open and mount the shanks. They are plenty long enough to still attach an antenna cable.

I briefly powered up and made sure I had a good connection and all my radio functions were still working properly.

I will make a test flight tomorrow and post my results with the new antenna before I tackle the amp/battery setup tomorrow night. I'll add picks of the cable "clearance" and install tomorrow night as well as the links to the parts I used.

Be careful with those screw posts. I started with just one bad post. Then the next time I opened up my controller I found all four posts cracked or broken. Controller Cracked Threaded Holes!!!

Can't wait to see pics of the inside of your controller where you routed your long-thread connectors with RG316 cables. Some kits come with 45-90 deg bend/angle at the bottom of the long threaded RP-SMA end. I think the ones you have are straight, right?

I received my RexUav boosted setup today. Only took a few minutes to assembly and it popped right onto my TX without any problems. Here's some pics of it with the DBS antenna non-boosted then a few pics with the Rex antenna & boosters. Also one thing that cool is when you want to run your DBS antenna with the boosters the DBS mount clears the RexUav booster holder no problem. Will take a pic of that so you guys can see it if you want to run boosters with the DBS antenna. Now I just need some time to test out both antennas with and without boosters to see which works best for my area.

View attachment 44012 View attachment 44013 View attachment 44014 View attachment 44015 View attachment 44016 View attachment 44017

Thank you for confirming the DBS antenna and mount system will work with the Rex bracket. I have both coming and thought this was a nice clean setup but I don't have the parts yet so I was not sure both brackets would fit at the same time.

I finally got some more pics of the DBS antenna mounted with the Rex booster mount tray . Fits perfectly with it. Overall this is very nice setup for the money. Will be testing over the weekend.

IMGA0285.JPG IMGA0286.JPG IMGA0287.JPG IMGA0288.JPG IMGA0289.JPG IMGA0290.JPG IMGA0291.JPG IMGA0292.JPG IMGA0293.JPG IMGA0295.JPG

I got my dbs02 antenna setup and I'm disappointed. I'm getting about the same distance as the $20 windsurfer 3D print I had on previously. I see no difference.

This is the cable kit I ordered. Notice in their ebay advertisement pic below they have the cables pulled through from the outside in, not the inside out where you can actually put the nut on and lock them down.
$_3.JPG

When I installed I had to trim a little of the plastic support where the screw is on the left side which wasn't a big deal. But I had to notch a hole in the right side of the screw "tube". Everything is still locked down and works great but if you are wanting to keep from heavy modification I would find a set that are angled on inside.

I haven't flown yet with new antenna but I was able to power up bird in garage and walk throughout my house and put up to 6 walls between me and the bird up to 100ft away and it never lost full signal. That is something I couldn't do with stock antennas.

Thanks for being social Rich! I got the rex a while back ( it seemed a little inconvient) so i havent used it to its potential! It looks like you got it to set up pretty good for you, nice and clean! I did notice I'm going to have to use longer cables than the 10 inch ones that I have. What size cables did you order for that. They look like 14's

Thanks for being social Rich! I got the rex a while back ( it seemed a little inconvient) so i havent used it to its potential! It looks like you got it to set up pretty good for you, nice and clean! I did notice I'm going to have to use longer cables than the 10 inch ones that I have. What size cables did you order for that. They look like 14's

Thanks glad to help! I just measured them and they are 13" end to end. Rex supplied those cables by the way.

I spoke with the young man in charge of rex, i respect that he's trying to juggle school and a new business but i found his service to be sloooww! Ive ordered a few things from him but im going back to Wi-Fi Direct outa cali! They are fast and costumer service rules

This is the cable kit I ordered. Notice in their ebay advertisement pic below they have the cables pulled through from the outside in, not the inside out where you can actually put the nut on and lock them down.
$_3.JPG

When I installed I had to trim a little of the plastic support where the screw is on the left side which wasn't a big deal. But I had to notch a hole in the right side of the screw "tube". Everything is still locked down and works great but if you are wanting to keep from heavy modification I would find a set that are angled on inside.

I haven't flown yet with new antenna but I was able to power up bird in garage and walk throughout my house and put up to 6 walls between me and the bird up to 100ft away and it never lost full signal. That is something I couldn't do with stock antennas.

Having a hard time following where you had to notch a hole in the right side screw tube. The pic above is from their site (which I ordered the exact same kit you did just waiting for it) do you have actual pics? I think I have seen a video where the little bit of plastic support needs to be trimmed. I still think this is a cleaner look than drilling new holes in the remote.

Yes I use the itelite boosted and I will say it works extremely well have gone out as far as 10,177 meters and back.good signal both ways...

Having a hard time following where you had to notch a hole in the right side screw tube. The pic above is from their site (which I ordered the exact same kit you did just waiting for it) do you have actual pics? I think I have seen a video where the little bit of plastic support needs to be trimmed. I still think this is a cleaner look than drilling new holes in the remote.
Yes I have done the same mod but I keep the antenna cables separated same way DJI installed there cables.not to sure that you want cables touching or that they cause interferance with each other..you might want to see the way horizon fpv modded there controller for a little different approach...And if your going to use that kind of bracket the shorter the cables the better..RC711 sells p3 with modded itelite ready Togo also less sma connections less DBI loss if you see the way they did it only one cable...

Last edited:
Basically if you look at the scroll wheel mounts on the right side you see where the hole is for the mounting screw? It has a "tube" or "tunnel" in the plastic that goes down to where the screw actually goes and holds it to the radio. I was able to take an exact and cut a wedge out of it so the cable on the back of the shank on inside of radio would be able to come in straight(er).

You can't actually cut it off or there would be nothing left to hold the bracket down after being screwed in. I will take a pic when I open it up again tonight and mount my amp/battery tray posts.

Basically if you look at the scroll wheel mounts on the right side you see where the hole is for the mounting screw? It has a "tube" or "tunnel" in the plastic that goes down to where the screw actually goes and holds it to the radio. I was able to take an exact and cut a wedge out of it so the cable on the back of the shank on inside of radio would be able to come in straight(er).

You can't actually cut it off or there would be nothing left to hold the bracket down after being screwed in. I will take a pic when I open it up again tonight and mount my amp/battery tray posts.

Okay duhhhhhhhhh you said the right side. I see the screw hole that looks like a tube. I kind of see what you mean. Is there any bend that both the shanks fit in the holes with but you can bend the bottom of the shank that is wrapped in black heat shrink or is it too stiff. And yes your pics would be awesome. Thanks for the info by the way this is helping big time.

It's definitely too stiff to bend. I tried to put a little bit of a bend on it but it wasn't gonna bend without a lot of force. I didn't want to break it so I cut the plastic instead.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik