Has the Phantom 5 been leaked, is this the tester

A lot of sources are assuming this is the Phantom 5, but I'm thinking it's the P4P V2. Historically, DJI has made notable changes to each new Phantom model. This one just looks too much like the existing Phantom 4 models.

Reactions: hoop826
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
,,this in today's inbox
Screenshot_20180414-074622.jpg
Screenshot_20180414-075247.jpg

Reactions: Green Phantom
The name is irrelevant.. dont care if they call it Phantom 2 or not.

I am interested in the quality of the sensor and glass.. if it’s the same as P4P 24mm, there is no reason to upgrade for me.

35mm would be swell but.. some zoom in post and whatever. It’s still no cinema grade camera up there.

The name is irrelevant.. dont care if they call it Phantom 2 or not.

I am interested in the quality of the sensor and glass.. if it’s the same as P4P 24mm, there is no reason to upgrade for me.

35mm would be swell but.. some zoom in post and whatever. It’s still no cinema grade camera up there.
Oh behave, you're not going to get, and it's ridiculous to even expect a "cinema grade" camera on a consumer UAV. But, I'd defy you to tell the difference on broadcast HD anyway. If you really want a hidef cinema grade UAV get your Black Amex out and whack £30k plus on it as a starting point...

Oh behave, you're not going to get, and it's ridiculous to even expect a "cinema grade" camera on a consumer UAV. But, I'd defy you to tell the difference on broadcast HD anyway. If you really want a hidef cinema grade UAV get your Black Amex out and whack £30k plus on it as a starting point...
What I mean is, the P4P is a great drone as it is. It can already do anything that is not high budget productions.

And an improvement to the camera will not change that. The leap to reach next level use is too far.

Which means apart from some folks wanting to switch to different lenses, and the weatherproofing which I think is good, there is not much DJI can do to justify an upgrade from P4P.

Except shrink it into the Mavic, that would be sweet.

Reactions: lolo780
Which means apart from some folks wanting to switch to different lenses ... there is not much DJI can do to justify an upgrade from P4P.
It depends on how you use your Phantom.
The 24mm equivalent lens is a good all purpose drone lens but there are subjects for which something else would be better.
Having a choice of lenses will be a big step forward for me and the kind of photography I do.

It depends on how you use your Phantom.
The 24mm equivalent lens is a good all purpose drone lens but there are subjects for which something else would be better.
Having a choice of lenses will be a big step forward for me and the kind of photography I do.
Except when filming people I can’t think of anything. What do you have in mind?

Except when filming people I can’t think of anything. What do you have in mind?
The thing about photography is that there are more ways to use a camera than most people can imagine.
For my photography, I love the P4 pro but I have to work to get good results because of the perspective distortion of the 24mm equivalent lens.
It's no problem with scenery but when elements of the subject are close to the camera and others are more distant the perspective distortion can be a problem.
Photos like this would work a lot better with a 35mm or 50mm equivalent lens and I wouldn't be so limited with the shooting angles that give acceptable results.
I would expect real estate or building photographers would also get good use out of longer lenses.
DJI_0020a-XL.jpg

If I'm careful, I can keep a 300 metre container ship travelling at 20 knots in the frame fairly easily but a smaller vessel sailing fast is very difficult because I have to get in too close with the very wide viewing angle.
A shot like this would have been much easier with a longer lens.
The racing yacht is 33 metres long but looks tiny with the wideangle lens.
DJI_0975a-XL.jpg

Reactions: Numone

Not really. DJI *could* improve the camera and support electronics to handle higher bit rates and depths. This would not require expensive, heavy options (and a bigger drone) but would get P4 video closer to the mid range (eg. Inspire). The DJI's camera vendor h has some new silicon (discussed somewhere around here) and, of course, support electronics are improving.

I, for one, would welcome decent QUALITY video that doesn't dissolve in post.

Not really. DJI *could* improve the camera and support electronics to handle higher bit rates and depths. This would not require expensive, heavy options (and a bigger drone) but would get P4 video closer to the mid range (eg. Inspire). The DJI's camera vendor h has some new silicon (discussed somewhere around here) and, of course, support electronics are improving.

Right, so as you want that, then the answer is simple; buy an Inspire. It's like saying you want the size and spec of a TOTL Ford Mondeo in a MR Ford Fiesta and why don't Ford just make the Fiesta with the same spec as the Mondeo; it'll never happen and why would it. The Phantom is and always will be a consumer / hobbyist UAV. They have the Inspire in their range to satisfy the more more demanding prosumer, as you appear to be.

This is the post of someone that has no clue what they're talking about. Yeah, just throw in a better camera and electronics. Why don't you go ahead and link me to a camera sensor and electronics that provide what you're talking about, but the limitation is that it has to be identical in size and roughly the same price as the DJI components. If you cannot do that, then that just proves my point: you cannot just magically assume that better parts exist.

This is the post of someone that has no clue what they're talking about. Yeah, just throw in a better camera and electronics. Why don't you go ahead and link me to a camera sensor and electronics that provide what you're talking about, but the limitation is that it has to be identical in size and roughly the same price as the DJI components. If you cannot do that, then that just proves my point: you cannot just magically assume that better parts exist.
Now, now, behave. You don't think that small form factor cameras are improving? Seen a new cell phone recently? DJI has lots of room in the current Phantom package to put in a better camera and supporting electronics. Yes, it will probably cost a bit more but DJI isn't limited to a particular floor cost, especially as Inspire costs have been rising.

Although this is kinda fluffy, be assured that there is some meat behind this:

Technology – The Ambarella Difference | Ambarella

And they are just one manufacturer. It's technology, not magic.

What Meta4 said above about 35mm and 50mm lenses is very true. It certainly applies to all kinds of landscape photography. We're delighted with the P4P+, but the option of having these two additional lenses would be a serious advantage for filming and stills photography from the air.

The width of 24mm is useful, no doubt - but it's also a "capture-it-all" lens that can turn the operator into a lazy cinematographer or photographer. Using a 50mm lens, for example, is much more demanding. Framing a subject well - composition - is what makes the difference between "okay", "good", and "excellent". And commercially, this is even more important.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31