Has anyone used Bluetooth/Gps keyfinders on their quadcopters to track?

Reaction score
Particulary this>>>
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If found within 100ft, this thing can apparently track down the location. I mean if a quadcopter get's d/c, then the pilot usually knows the area of its last location, so isn't this a useful alternative to the $150+ cellular full service GPS out there? Plus, it's lightweight.

I have yet to get one, but this seems favourable. If anyone has any experience with these type of keyfinders, what is your opinion?

Edit: This seems promising:
Findster Duo - The 1st GPS Pet Tracker Free of Monthly Fees!

They said it can track within 2 miles, so that's some legit proximity.

Last edited:
Particulary this>>>
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If found within 100ft, this thing can apparently track down the location. I mean if a quadcopter get's d/c, then the pilot usually knows the area of its last location, so isn't this a useful alternative to the $150+ cellular full service GPS out there? Plus, it's lightweight.

I have yet to get one, but this seems favourable. If anyone has any experience with these type of keyfinders, what is your opinion?

Not having seen these units before, I checked to see how they work. Bluetooth with a yearly 're charge' to keep it up and running. I have looked at similar devices with a similar range and am looking for alternatives to the more expensive Trakimo units that are popping up on drones over in Australia. The problem that I have is the limited range and often lack of cellular service in the area where i live that are pushing me towards a GPS supported device. My local drone supplier is testing a few alternatives to the Trakimo type of transmitters and reckons that if successful, will be retailing them for AUD$65. If they prove to be a winner, i'll post the results up on here to share.

Reactions: tml4191
Not having seen these units before, I checked to see how they work. Bluetooth with a yearly 're charge' to keep it up and running. I have looked at similar devices with a similar range and am looking for alternatives to the more expensive Trakimo units that are popping up on drones over in Australia. The problem that I have is the limited range and often lack of cellular service in the area where i live that are pushing me towards a GPS supported device. My local drone supplier is testing a few alternatives to the Trakimo type of transmitters and reckons that if successful, will be retailing them for AUD$65. If they prove to be a winner, i'll post the results up on here to share.[/QUOT

Please do post the results. Im down in Melbourne and would love something like that. Cheers

BTW I do have a "tile" on my Pro. Dosant seem to affect performance at all and luckily I haven't needed it yet.

Please do post the results. Im down in Melbourne and would love something like that. $65 isnt to steep.Cheers

BTW I do have a "tile" on my Pro. Dosant seem to affect performance at all and luckily I haven't needed it yet!

I'm interested in this topic (I'm also in Melbourne Vic). 100 feet is really nothing however, just within your backyard.
If you crashed in a forest some distance from home, it might be quite difficult to get within 100 feet, depending upon if you had lost contact or not. I think the Marco Polo would be a much better option but also a lot dearer and hard to get shipped to Australia. I hadn't seen the Findster Duo, will research it.
Having said that however, the more I fly my P4, the less I feel the need for one of these things.

The Findster Duo is dependent upon an internet connection so it's no good if you're out in the bush with no cellular service. There's also a lot of baggage which comes with it about time to walk your dog, and rewards for keeping it alive etc., which you might be able to shut down in it's settings.
I think the Marco Polo is still the most useful drone tracker, totally self contained, with a range of several kilometers.

Dropped my Advanced into a one of our wheat crops,green and thick (not me)
A tracker with a range of kms wouldn't have helped I think.
It was only 70m away from me .I searched for ages .In the end I did a quick start stop and heard it 1.5 m from me .

Well it'll take you straight to it. Whether you're 70m away, or 2km away.
Also, I think some of them will make the transmitter beep when you get really close so you can hear it too.

There are many like this but you need to be within mobile data range, no good in the outback.

IMG_2963.PNG
This one actually doesn't require mobile data, and it can be treated like a tablet running DjI Go. Seems like a good investment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers