hard cases for Phantom

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just curious who has a hard case with cut foam(like a Pelican case) for their quad and what sort of dimensions work best with the phantoms? Or anyone got some photos? Desperate for one having recently taken it out a few times in a cardboard box.. the looks I get! :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Hugh

http://www.goprocases.com/

bought one from here...super impressed.
I have 1.2.1 phantom (original) with fatshark attitude SD, go pro, and bought a different charger and everything fits PERFECTLY.

you can probably get one cheaper if you want to cut out everything and such, but if you are looking for one all ready once it arrives at your house...i would recommend one of those.

socman said:

I have 1.2.1 phantom (original) with fatshark attitude SD, go pro, and bought a different charger and everything fits PERFECTLY.

you can probably get one cheaper if you want to cut out everything and such, but if you are looking for one all ready once it arrives at your house...i would recommend one of those.

Wow these cases look pretty cool. I have a phantom 2- would that fit in the same cut out areas as a Phantom 1. Are the dimensions the same?

hughsnews said:
socman said:

Wow these cases look pretty cool. I have a phantom 2- would that fit in the same cut out areas as a Phantom 1. Are the dimensions the same?

http://www.tradecraftcases.com/shop/tou ... -2-vision/
Best one out there love mine

hughsnews said:
Hi Guys,
Just curious who has a hard case with cut foam(like a Pelican case) for their quad and what sort of dimensions work best with the phantoms? Or anyone got some photos? Desperate for one having recently taken it out a few times in a cardboard box.. the looks I get! :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Hugh

Hugh,

What do you envision using the case for? There are several different cases and some, like the one I have, was purchased to satisfy a specific need. If you just want to carry the phantom in your vehicle then there are many options. If you want to fly with your phantom and don't mind checking your Phantom with your luggage then you will want to purchase a hard case of which there are several. If you want to fly and want to carry the Phantom in a carry on size case then there are fewer choices but a few do exist.

I have a case that I just purchased and setup but it was bought specifically so I could take my Phantom on vacation and keep it with me on the plane (I just don't trust ground crews to take care of it and TSA to not borrow anything). I needed a carry on size hard case that the Phantom and gear would fit in.

Give some idea of use and I am sure you will get several options.

Good flying!

Brian
TechJunkieRC

hughsnews said:
socman said:

they have a few different cases depending on what phantom you have.
For the Vision 2:
http://www.goprocases.com/xb-dji-vision.aspx

TechJunkieRC said:
hughsnews said:
Hi Guys,
Cheers
Hugh

Hugh,

What do you envision using the case for? There are several different cases and some, like the one I have, was purchased to satisfy a specific need. If you just want to carry the phantom in your vehicle then there are many options. If you want to fly with your phantom and don't mind checking your Phantom with your luggage then you will want to purchase a hard case of which there are several. If you want to fly and want to carry the Phantom in a carry on size case then there are fewer choices but a few do exist.

I have a case that I just purchased and setup but it was bought specifically so I could take my Phantom on vacation and keep it with me on the plane (I just don't trust ground crews to take care of it and TSA to not borrow anything). I needed a carry on size hard case that the Phantom and gear would fit in.

Give some idea of use and I am sure you will get several options.

Good flying!

Brian
TechJunkieRC
Hey Brian,
Because I am an archaeologist I will be wanting to take this overseas with me. I live in Australia but work primarily in Greece. I'd prefer to have my quad as carry on if possible simply, as you say, I don't trust many people. I'd suffice to take it on as baggage if I knew that the case could easily withstand bags being dropped on it.
So any advice you have would be amazing! I have a phantom 2, so I'd like it big enough to fit that in, my controller and the batteries and things like my FPV. Propgaurds and all the bits and bobs can go in my laptop bag, because if they are damaged its not such a big deal.
Thanks in advance

If you want a case with pre-cut foam then the toughcase and gopro cases are a good option. You can also purchase a Pelican case with foam and make the holes the size you want and need. These would all work as checked luggage IMHO.

As I said I have a Phantom 1.1.1 so I have not looked at the specs on the P2 or P2v. If they have the same overall form factor then the carry on hard case I purchased, Nanuk935 would work. The cases like mine have pick and pluck foam so you just make the holes the size you need them. The only limiting factor to the case I have is the amount of stuff you can carry. I have everything I need and a few spare props and so on. As an example I had to leave my regular LiPo charger out and stick with the one from the kit as I simply didn't have enough room.

Here is a picture of my setup:

Nanuk935+-+DJI+Phantom+-+Top.JPG

Nanuk935+-+DJI+Phantom+-+Middle.JPG

Nanuk935+-+DJI+Phantom+-+Standing.JPG

You might get by with taking a larger case as a carry on, however, I just didn't want the hassle of being challenged on it and having to pay the extra baggage fee if I didn't have to. My case will not work for everyone but it will work perfectly for what I need it for!

Good luck in your search.

Thanks so much guys- I may go with the Nanuk one although without the wheely one. I like the idea of being able to customise the foam etc.
Cheers!!!

hughsnews said:
Hi Guys,
Cheers
Hugh

DSLRPros is coming out with their plastic hard case in the next week or so I was told. Looking for a compact but sturdy case too. Check out their video of the liquipel phantom and you'll see the cases in there.

Looks like Nanuk is tough to get in Australia. What about Pelican- they are expensive but I like the idea of a very strong case that can probably go in the hold of a plane. I know a few people have a pelican but can anyone suggest a nice size for my phantom2, fpv, few batteries and odds and ends?

hughsnews said:
Looks like Nanuk is tough to get in Australia. What about Pelican- they are expensive but I like the idea of a very strong case that can probably go in the hold of a plane. I know a few people have a pelican but can anyone suggest a nice size for my phantom2, fpv, few batteries and odds and ends?

Duratool D00468, cheap and very strong.

My only issue is I live in Australia so most of these brands would need to be shipped here and its expensive!
Pelican, despite being overpriced, atleast has a few stores here in Aus

hughsnews said:
My only issue is I live in Australia so most of these brands would need to be shipped here and its expensive!
Pelican, despite being overpriced, atleast has a few stores here in Aus

The 1510 is carry on size but be careful, the V1 Phantom barely fits. There is a thread on here about it: http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?t=4790.

Some have mentioned the Pelican 1560 as a good case. Exterior Dimensions: 22.06 x 17.93 x 10.43" (56 x 45.5 x 26.5cm) (WxDxH). Interior Dimensions: 20.37 x 15.43 x 9.0" (51.7 x 39.2 x 22.9cm) (WxDxH). No carry on, though some have, but a good case. If you don't want one with wheels there are others similar in the Pelican Brand.

Here is another thread about cases, many Pelican cases are mentioned, which might be helpful: http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3395

hughsnews said:
socman said:

I bought a case on eBay that turned out to be for the Phantom 1 and I had to do a bit of cut-out modification for the P2V. However, the foam was a better grade than the usual the pick-and-pluck, which tends to go bad in my past experience with photo cases, so I kept it.

Timtro said:
hughsnews said:
socman said:

I bought a case on eBay that turned out to be for the Phantom 1 and I had to do a bit of cut-out modification for the P2V. However, the foam was a better grade than the usual the pick-and-pluck, which tends to go bad in my past experience with photo cases, so I kept it.

I don't have a V2 and I have wondered, in what dimension is the V2 different than the V1? Based on another thread on this forum the V2 and V1 shells are basically identical. The V1 crowd are purchasing V2 replacement shells and putting the lower shell on the V1 to get a larger battery bay. Just curious about what dimension is different!

As to the Pick and Pluck you might be right. To solve that problem, once I had the foam just like I wanted it, I fired up the hot glue gun and I worked over every seam and between the individual foam squares, if necessary, to arrive at a very solid foam setup. Just a little hot glue made it really seem solid and more durable. Time will tell. If it does wear out it is cheap enough to replace but it will never be quite a clean or durable as professionally cut foam but hopefully good enough for what I need.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl