hard cases for Phantom

TechJunkieRC said:
I don't have a V2 and I have wondered, in what dimension is the V2 different than the V1? Based on another thread on this forum the V2 and V1 shells are basically identical. The V1 crowd are purchasing V2 replacement shells and putting the lower shell on the V1 to get a larger battery bay. Just curious about what dimension is different!

As to the Pick and Pluck you might be right. To solve that problem, once I had the foam just like I wanted it, I fired up the hot glue gun and I worked over every seam and between the individual foam squares, if necessary, to arrive at a very solid foam setup. Just a little hot glue made it really seem solid and more durable. Time will tell. If it does wear out it is cheap enough to replace but it will never be quite a clean or durable as professionally cut foam but hopefully good enough for what I need.

So I just bought a case- its a Vanguard Supreme 46f, internal dimensions are (515x435x220cm). It seems to be a cheaper form of case very similar to a Pelican. I have fit the quad, my fpv setup, two sets of props and my little custom mount for my canon camera. I couldn't fit my propgaurds in which sucks and it would be great to have had enough space to pop in my little canon too. But the larger case was wasn't high enough. As it is, I have had to cut a bit of the bottom foam out so the quad can sit in it properly. It'll probably have go into the hold of a plane which sucks but I hope it'll be fine.

The glue gun idea is a fantastic! To fit everything in some of the little cubes have popped out and so making them a bit stiffer will be good.
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

hughsnews said:
TechJunkieRC said:
I don't have a V2 and I have wondered, in what dimension is the V2 different than the V1? Based on another thread on this forum the V2 and V1 shells are basically identical. The V1 crowd are purchasing V2 replacement shells and putting the lower shell on the V1 to get a larger battery bay. Just curious about what dimension is different!

As to the Pick and Pluck you might be right. To solve that problem, once I had the foam just like I wanted it, I fired up the hot glue gun and I worked over every seam and between the individual foam squares, if necessary, to arrive at a very solid foam setup. Just a little hot glue made it really seem solid and more durable. Time will tell. If it does wear out it is cheap enough to replace but it will never be quite a clean or durable as professionally cut foam but hopefully good enough for what I need.

So I just bought a case- its a Vanguard Supreme 46f, internal dimensions are (515x435x220cm). It seems to be a cheaper form of case very similar to a Pelican. I have fit the quad, my fpv setup, two sets of props and my little custom mount for my canon camera. I couldn't fit my propgaurds in which sucks and it would be great to have had enough space to pop in my little canon too. But the larger case was wasn't high enough. As it is, I have had to cut a bit of the bottom foam out so the quad can sit in it properly. It'll probably have go into the hold of a plane which sucks but I hope it'll be fine.

The glue gun idea is a fantastic! To fit everything in some of the little cubes have popped out and so making them a bit stiffer will be good.
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

WHAT? No Pictures? :cry:

I'll post some this afternoon when I get a chance. Not great first attempt but it should do hahaha

GhostMaster said:
Do you guys know where i can get only the foam?

Do you have a specific case? I looked at foam online and there are many sites that sell it. You have to decide what density you want and how thick and how many layers.

If you have a pelican or name brand case then you can usually buy precut replacement foam.

Hey so here is my setup.
image.jpeg

As I said its a Vanguard 46f.
The inside of the case was slightly smaller than I expected. It is 515x435x220cm. The vanguards foam is in a hexagon which means that sometimes I'd be making a shape and then realise it wasn't straight- so some of the bits and pieces were a bit wonky etc. Also because it was just a fraction smaller than I expected, I had to squish some things in at slightly odd angles, like my fpv monitor between the quad and the controller. The hot glue gun is a smart idea so I am going to use that to strenghten some of the joins.
But it holds my full kit(apart from prop protectors) and also holds my little custom housing(bottom right) and my canon camera(up the top). So it works well!!! Somethings are hidden in the layer of foam underneath!
image1111.jpeg

Looks like a great setup to me! I hope is works good for you! You will have to post some videos of your travels with it.

Greetings,

I am a recent first time buyer of the Phantom. I have to say, in the past few weeks I've had it, I love it! I fly planes for a living, but this is still very cool to me. The ease of the control is what attracted me to it. After I bought it, I started looking for cases, and was put off by the high prices I saw. I know you get what you pay for, but I'm not ready to pay that much for a case just yet. I read many posts on this forum, and was disappointed when I saw the Duratool case was sold out EVERYWHERE online until May. However, I kept looking and saw this case at Harbor Freight tools.
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-x-12-34-x-6-aluminum-case-69318.html
It was low cost, and I knew 2 of the dimensions would work. Well, these pictures are the final result. The only bad part is the landing gear has to be removed to get it in the case. But other than that, it is everything I was looking for in a case. I hope this helps other people who were in the same situation I was.

Attachments

• photo 2-1.jpg
    photo 2-1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 460
  • photo 4-1.jpg
    photo 4-1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 539
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 481
I have the GoProfessional case ($200 or so at Amazon). It is very sturdy and fits my P2 with zenmuse. I just took it on a trip (five airplane rides). It fit overhead on four of them. The fifth was a commuter and it should have been checked but I lucked out and got the egress aisle and it fit under the seat (barely - had to have a conference with the attendants). I have pictures of the fit overhead if you need them but it fits better than most carry on bags although it technically is oversize. Nobody questioned me taking it on-board.

Holds all the important stuff+. Have to take the props off on a P2 but not a big deal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CR6 ... UTF8&psc=1

airforcebj said:
Greetings,

I am a recent first time buyer of the Phantom. I have to say, in the past few weeks I've had it, I love it! I fly planes for a living, but this is still very cool to me. The ease of the control is what attracted me to it. After I bought it, I started looking for cases, and was put off by the high prices I saw. I know you get what you pay for, but I'm not ready to pay that much for a case just yet. I read many posts on this forum, and was disappointed when I saw the Duratool case was sold out EVERYWHERE online until May. However, I kept looking and saw this case at Harbor Freight tools.
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-x-12-34-x-6-aluminum-case-69318.html
It was low cost, and I knew 2 of the dimensions would work. Well, these pictures are the final result. The only bad part is the landing gear has to be removed to get it in the case. But other than that, it is everything I was looking for in a case. I hope this helps other people who were in the same situation I was.

I thought about trying that case but having to take the landing gear off and on is too much of a pain in the butt for me.But i dont need one to lug around on airplane or anything.I just wanted something to carry it in to protect it.I did buy that case to carry around my different cameras I have though.That would be a good option if you needed to take it on airplane and didnt want to spend a lot.
I ended up buying on of those plastic storage tubs and lined it with foam I bought and cut the holes to fit all my stuff.Its bigger than a case but i wanted something to hold all my stuff.I have the phantom,charger and remote in it,my fpv system with monitor,tools,another balance charger,extra props and batterys,extra engine,soldering iron.So I have just about everything I need if I break something and need to fix it Ive got it with me :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic