Hacking 12v in P4 for strobes

No need. Your best approach may be
Lume Cube 1500 Lumen Light, 6000K Color Temperature, Waterproof.

They even make some 3D printed parts to safely attach them to your phantom.

Thanks for the ideas . . I do have one I planned to attach . . . just thought there might be an easy Hack that would not hurt the P4. That LIME CUBE is pretty hefty . . I'm going to try a couple of mini Strobes from a motorcycle kit . . very light weight and has internal flasher control unit . . . with "super bright" 4 LEDs . . we'll see how super bright they really are. Probably good in low light situations but we'll see. I'll post a photo later when I get it working

Stay out of the inside of the craft and trying to hack the wiring. It's not that difficult but it's also not necessary at all for what you're trying to do. that's all I was saying.

Reactions: WetDog
Stay out of the inside of the craft and trying to hack the wiring. It's not that difficult but it's also not necessary at all for what you're trying to do. that's all I was saying.

yes I agree . . prefer not to crack the case at all . . just hoping someone might know of a "plug in" . . USB connection or other way to get 12v for strobes. I think I will attach LEDs high up under the body to the 4 legs . . should be good to be more visible for low flying aircraft too like helicopters. . . or other drones

yes I agree . . prefer not to crack the case at all . . just hoping someone might know of a "plug in" . . USB connection or other way to get 12v for strobes. I think I will attach LEDs high up under the body to the 4 legs . . should be good to be more visible for low flying aircraft too like helicopters. . . or other drones
Strobes don't take a whole lot of juice. I have 5 Flytron strobes on a P3 run by a pair of Hubsan X4 batteries. Lasts all day. A benefit (so far unrealized, fortunately) is if you drop the Phantom due to a power issue, the strobes should still be functioning, hopefully enabling recovery.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
Flytron make a standalone one with its own battery so you can stick them all around the outside

Strobes don't take a whole lot of juice. I have 5 Flytron strobes on a P3 run by a pair of Hubsan X4 batteries. Lasts all day. A benefit (so far unrealized, fortunately) is if you drop the Phantom due to a power issue, the strobes should still be functioning, hopefully enabling recovery.
That Flytron all-in-one looks good . .may try that one too . . thanks for the ideas and Malletron too

Here is a link to something on amazon. It works for p3, I'm not sure what the p4 battery terminals look like but on p3 there are 2 terminals and the wires for light slide over them so when you plug your battery in ,the battery gives the light juice. I attached a strip of LEDs to the wire and they work great. I bought the headlight and cut the clip off and connected to the strip of LEDs that goes around the body of p3.
The link was to big I'll post pics in a little while. You can google headlight for phantom 3 to get the idea.

i have a p3advanced and used the flytron red/green/clear strobe kit on mine and love it. i use 1 3.7 volt li-po battery and a 3.7 volt to 5 volt dc to dc converter and all works great. you can see all from 400 foot during day time with no issues. i think 17.00 for all strobes and 5.99 for battery. great addition.

From an engineering perspective don't try to hack into your Phantoms DC bus system. There is a chance that the device may inject noise into the flight systems controllers and that is not a good thing. Use a small LiPo pack instead.

1492902587417-1169993927.jpg 1492902587417-1169993927.jpg
p4 is hard enough to keep in sight based on size and background light. Anyone know how to get 12 volts from inside to outside the case so I can add some long range strobes?
HI Yip you don't want to take any power from inside,,you can get strobon strobe lights like in these pics of mine,,makes so much difference1492901965754-1595151805.jpg 1492902059594713710683.jpgthis green strobe off my other drone runs off 3.7volt lipo batt..extremely bright can see it over long distance,I keep within hills where I am but can easily see at 2km..can go lot further but airport...:)good for nite flightsand yes I fly with OA off

Last edited by a moderator:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic