Ha ha. You can actually buy this.

Yea. Much like my hat that reads:
’FL DOT Licensed Driver Class E’.

At the moment I use a regular safety vest without any, um, presumptuous, writing or labeling on it, and even that does seem to help. Honestly it's amazing what you can get away with in general when you're wearing a safety vest. You can up the cred ante a bit with a well-worn hard hat. If you find one on the side of a highway that bounced out of the bed of a truck, it's probably perfect.

yup, years of working in IT taught me that a clipboard or a computer under your arm will get you into most places without question.

Reactions: Bad Andy
Clipboard. LOL. Thanks for making me feel young.

Was going through my father's old stuff last weekend. Found his old ledger binders. Felt like putting a Microsoft Excel logo on one and hanging it in the office for laffs.

Reactions: Nightwolf
At the moment I use a regular safety vest without any, um, presumptuous, writing or labeling on it, and even that does seem to help. Honestly it's amazing what you can get away with in general when you're wearing a safety vest. You can up the cred ante a bit with a well-worn hard hat. If you find one on the side of a highway that bounced out of the bed of a truck, it's probably perfect.
Yes. Safety vest not a bad idea. It was the presumptuous writing I found amusing.

The vest is dorky - there, I said it.

A more legit method when flying commercially is to have more than one person on site working as a team, VO's , etc. Have one person designated to talk to people who may question what the pilot is doing and is also responsible to keep people away. This is especially important in more congested areas.

Throwing a vest on with writing as to what you are is just another phallic symbol - in my opinion.

I am going to have to get one. Twice now I have had the bird up and in the process of landing when I was interrupted by onlookers. Its nice to have conversations with the curious but not during landing in a heavily obstructed area. I know I shouldn't land in a heavily obstructed area, but thats what I sometimes have to do to get the shots I need. Safety Vest here I come.

For those of us who are already flying professionally on jobs sites, we already have the hi viz gear, hard hat, safety glasses and steel toes. So it's nothing new. But I agree, the wording is a bit silly! Just my 2 cents worth ;)

Reactions: bsartist
As I said. That’s not a bad idea. But the rest seemed a little over the top. You asked so I’m just explaining. No offense intended to those who made or own it. Some of my fellow USCG volunteers (we were called USCG Auxiliary) tried to make their own uniform service tapes to downplay the word auxiliary. I thought that was kind of funny too.
Misrepresenting yourself in uniform isn't cool. If they had wanted to be a Coast Guardsmen and not an Auxiliarist then join the service, it is a voluntary organization. I sacrificed a lot in 26+ years to be a guardsman and to have someone misrepresent who we are is a dishonor to those that serve. Coast Guard Auxiliarst and Civil Air Patrol provide vital voluntary roles and often work along side their active duty service members. Even during courtesy boardings you are there to teach safety And educate vessel owners, not as a law enforcement boarding officer. There are distinctions in uniforms for very good reasons and I would call out anyone found to be misrepresting any uniformed member of our armed services. There is a lot of training, commitment, and honor that go's into wearing the uniform. Tell your friends to honor those which serve the uniformed services by doing the right thing. Otherwise they are no better than the rich kids flying their drones wrecklessly.

Misrepresenting yourself in uniform isn't cool. If they had wanted to be a Coast Guardsmen and not an Auxiliarist then join the service, it is a voluntary organization. I sacrificed a lot in 26+ years to be a guardsman and to have someone misrepresent who we are is a dishonor to those that serve. Coast Guard Auxiliarst and Civil Air Patrol provide vital voluntary roles and often work along side their active duty service members. Even during courtesy boardings you are there to teach safety And educate vessel owners, not as a law enforcement boarding officer. There are distinctions in uniforms for very good reasons and I would call out anyone found to be misrepresting any uniformed member of our armed services. There is a lot of training, commitment, and honor that go's into wearing the uniform. Tell your friends to honor those which serve the uniformed services by doing the right thing. Otherwise they are no better than the rich kids flying their drones wrecklessly.
They are not my “friends” and I no longer serve with thst unit. And as you may be able to tell by my post, I was not condoning that behavior.

Required to use in some areas on some jobs believe it or not. Might seem funny to a hobbiest but they do come in useful for the professional making money.
Absolutely! I use one all the time when working commercial gigs. I also (get ready to laugh, OP) have one designated for a 'Spotter' on those occasions when I find myself in need of assistance or using goggles. My experience has been such that there is a world of difference in terms of perception from the public when I wear the vest and when I do not. Laugh all you want, find it as silly as you want, they work and do have a place for those of us 107's legitimately making money with our birds.

It’s considered a best practice here, along with eye and head protection. Ours just say “UAS Pilot Do Not Disturb”, it does greatly. Reduce the number of people coming up with questions

Absolutely! I use one all the time when working commercial gigs. I also (get ready to laugh, OP) have one designated for a 'Spotter' on those occasions when I find myself in need of assistance or using goggles. My experience has been such that there is a world of difference in terms of perception from the public when I wear the vest and when I do not. Laugh all you want, find it as silly as you want, they work and do have a place for those of us 107's legitimately making money with our birds.
I am also a “107” and I have no objection to wearing a vest. But I personally wouldn’t wear one with that lettering on it. Esp the big FAA. It’s misleading at best.

See post #39

Last edited:
...Ours just say “UAS Pilot Do Not Disturb”, it does greatly. Reduce the number of people coming up with questions
That is exactly the kind of lettering that I think is totally appropriate. It serves the intended purpose and no more.

PUBLIC PERCEPTION is exactly what this is about.

WE may know it's just a vest, but to the public, it makes a statement and if it keeps the ones with an attitude towards us at bay - then I'm all for it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spaz_12