H3-3D Gimbal Installation Guide

ianwood

Taco Wrangler
Reaction score
This is an installation guide for the H3-3D gimbal in the original P2 without using the optional adapter plate. This is for the "version 1.1" which comes with the anti-interference board and has the ribbon cable that plugs into the side of the GoPro for video and power as opposed to using the connector on the rear of the GoPro.

1. Open up the Phantom removing the top of the shell. This you should know how to do! I can't even count how many times I've opened up the Phantom. Way more than I ever anticipated.

2. You'll need to get access to the battery area inside the Phantom to do this properly. To do so, with the Phantom facing away from you, you'll need to remove the screws holding the front and back motors and ESCs on the right side. You'll need to unscrew the main board as well. The goal is to make it possible to flip the main board and right side motors up and away so you can get access to the battery area. You want to free up anything holding the main board down. Be gentle.

h33d-install-p2.jpg

3. With the battery area exposed, you now need to expand the opening in the bottom to accommodate the yaw motor. The easiest way to do this is to temporarily screw in the H3-3D mounting bracket and trace the outline of the circle in the middle. A Dremel with a small grinding bit will work best. Plastic dust will go everywhere!

h33d-underbelly.jpg

4. The anti-interference (AI) board will go on the right side of the main board using the same screws that hold that side down. Use the short ribbon cable supplied to run between the AI board and the main board. Note, the AI board is directional and installs only one way.

5. The longer ribbon cable that came with the Phantom runs to the gimbal from the AI board. I made a little cut in the belly and routed the ribbon cable along the bottom of the battery tray and to the gimbal. Use the Dremel as needed to clear a path for the ribbon cable under the battery. Tape the the ribbon cable down to make sure it doesn't snag on the battery.

ribbon-cable-routing.jpg

6.Reinstall the right side motors and ESCs as well as the main board. Reconnect all wires and double check. Mount the AI board using the two right side main board screws. I used one of the adhesive pads supplied with the H3-3D under the AI board.

7. Mount the gimbal using the marshmallow white vibration dampeners. Attach two small zip ties loosely through opposite corners of the gimbal mount. The zip ties should be loose enough not to compress the dampeners or inhibit their movement. Connect the ribbon cable to the gimbal.

8. I couldn't tell if the battery was rubbing on the yaw motor. If it wasn't, it was very close. I used the Dremel to cut off part of the battery's plastic frame to make sure it cleared the gimbal motor. Be very careful doing this. Use a cutting wheel on the Dremel to cut a path across the surface of the plastic. Don't cut all the way through as you really don't want to cut into the battery itself! Once you've cut the outline into the plastic, you can wedge some needle nose pliers under it to pry the plastic off.

battery-h33d-mod.jpg

9. Put a battery in confirming it is clear of the ribbon cable and that the gimbal moves freely with it in position. Confirm all the connections are correct. Attach the GPS cable from the top of the shell and power it up to see that it starts up normally. Re-attach the top of the shell.

10. Download and install the latest P2 Assistant software. Upgrade anything that is not current (main board, firmware, gimbal) rebooting the P2 as necessary. Check, change and confirm all settings in the P2 Assistant and give the IMU an advanced calibration (ignore temp warnings) and allow it to finish. Check and calibrate all stick controls including X1 which is for the gimbal tilt.

11. Carefully free the small ribbon cable where the GoPro mounts to the gimbal and attach the supplied mini USB adapter. Mount the GoPro, screw in the retainer and plug in the ribbon cable.

12. If you're shooting in bright daylight, you'll probably want to use an ND filter. The H3-3D is more sensitive to rolling shutter and JELL-O effects and an ND will slow the shutter speed enough to compensate. I found even the H3-2D needed an ND filter. I used a Polar Pro ND filter. It is very important when using an ND filter to rebalance the gimbal otherwise the motors will get overworked. I tape a paper clip to the pitch motor that has a small weight on the end. There are other methods. Experimentation is needed here. You want the gimbal to be able to balance on its own in both pitch and roll axes no matter what position it is in. If it falls forward or to one side, you're not balanced. Further complicating matters, you need to make sure that the counterbalance will not interfere with the movement of the gimbal or get caught on anything. I used washers with a nut and bolt. The bolt I cut down and rounded after taking this picture.

polar-pro-counterbalance.jpg

That's it. My first impressions of the H3-3D are here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15010

Watch the video of my test flights with the H3-3D here:

Take the filter off, these gimbals are balanced with the camera as is, adding to it will throw the balance of the gimbal off and burn it out over time.

madsonp said:
Take the filter off, these gimbals are balanced with the camera as is, adding to it will throw the balance of the gimbal off and burn it out over time.

Apparently you didn't read this part of my post:

12. If you're shooting in bright daylight, you'll probably want to use an ND filter. The H3-3D is more sensitive to rolling shutter and JELL-O effects and an ND will slow the shutter speed enough to compensate. I found even the H3-2D needed an ND filter. I used a Polar Pro ND filter. It is very important when using an ND filter to rebalance the gimbal otherwise the motors will get overworked. I tape a paper clip to the pitch motor that has a small weight on the end. There are other methods. Experimentation is needed here. You want the gimbal to be able to balance on its own in both pitch and roll axes no matter what position it is in. If it falls forward or to one side, you're not balanced. Further complicating matters, you need to make sure that the counterbalance will not interfere with the movement of the gimbal or get caught on anything. I used washers with a nut and bolt. The bolt I cut down and rounded after taking this picture.

I did a similar conversion but couldn't be arsed to totally dismantle the guts of it.
Purchased a hole saw and carefully stuffed two wooden battons into the battery compartment so I had something to drill into and protect.Had a Hoover to suck the bits as I drilled. Took best part of 20 seconds to do that part. Nice clean cut too. Removed the batons and then added plastic washers to the gimble for a lot of distance for the yaw motor. Originally I didn't add plastic washers as I think it wasn't touching the battery but i was VERY close.

nuny5ehe.jpg
bypy5ahe.jpg
6anegany.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399965622.382772.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399965622.382772.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 2,065
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399965656.831961.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399965656.831961.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 2,015
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399965698.581512.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399965698.581512.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 2,188
Marconi Union said:

This is very intersting! So i guess the weight of the ND filter must be the same a the those nut and bolt together? Is it important where to place it? sorry for my bad english. Thx

Instead of using an ND Filter, Why not turn on Pro Tune and limit your iso to 400 instead of the default 6400?
I haven't tested it but a low ISO=Slower Shutter Speed.

madsonp said:

This is simply not true.

Please stop spreading myths. It is not helpful.

panhygrous pantler said:
madsonp said:

This is simply not true.

I am sure there is a bit of truth to it, but after mirroring ianwoods counter-balancing rig with a bottle cap, paperclip and quarter, I decided to see what would happen without any counter-balance. During bench testing, the gimbal made no more noise than it did perfectly balanced. I flew a full flight, about 15 minutes with moderate wind and fairly aggressive flying, with no issues and upon landing the three motors were not warm at all (a sign they're being overworked).

My first attempt to counter balance was with two quarters and a glob of sugru (putty that hardens into a solid plastic mold), and with it perfectly balanced the gimbal would reset numerous times during flight (die and then snap back quickly).

I am not suggesting that you don't have to counter-balance a filter, just that in my opinion I don't think your gimbal will die after a few flights if you don't.

panhygrous pantler said:
madsonp said:

This is simply not true.

It is no myth my friend. DJI & Zenmuse say this...

"Q) Can I be free to change the camera and lens at will? (meaning a weight change)
A) You can’t, each gimbal has been calibrated with the exact type of camera and lens. Pleaes call local DJI Zenmuse authorized dealers or DJI headquarter."

SOURCE: DJI

Rather than take a side of myth or no myth, I can report back that I have used an ND filter attached to my GPH3+ w/o any counterbalancing and my H3-3D is fine. YMMV.

...again, just my experience.

I imagine it is a long term issue, not immediately seen. They mention the fact that it is not recommended so I tend to believe them. There was a number to call if there were questions.

You need to counterbalance it. DJI's statement about being balanced is correct. The motors are designed to rotate a balanced mass. They are not designed for the extra torque needed to rotate an unbalanced mass. And inertial loading will compound the effect of the unbalanced mass.

Bottom line, it may work now but the motors will get overworked. I wouldn't risk it. The effort to balance it is not high.

I just picked up a pack of non magnetic snap apart weights from a hobby store. They are flat and have peel and stick backing. They have different small sizes in the pack. Worked perfectly!

I was thinking I would use a heat sink for a counter balance on the back of H3-3D, may help with cooling. Not sure why it gets so hot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

LuvMyTJ said:
panhygrous pantler said:
madsonp said:

This is simply not true.

It is no myth my friend. DJI & Zenmuse say this...

"Q) Can I be free to change the camera and lens at will? (meaning a weight change)
A) You can’t, each gimbal has been calibrated with the exact type of camera and lens. Pleaes call local DJI Zenmuse authorized dealers or DJI headquarter."

SOURCE: DJI

I've been flying the H3-3D with a light filter (no pun intended) with no balance issues.

I understand that DJI likes to CYA - especially when filters come in a wide range of sizes.

Ian, regarding the method you used to balance the gimbal...couldn't you make the length of it much shorter by simply increasing the weight on the end? Same principle as when balancing props with tape; a smaller piece closer to the tip will have the same effect as a larger piece closer to the hub. I just figured making that shorter might make the whole thing less cumbersome.

Great reading on the mods for the H3 3D gimbal mount. Thanks for all the work you guys put in. Can't wait to get mine in. Had to throw a note in here....didn't know how to tag the thread for future reference otherwise!! :D

keefer said:
Great reading on the mods for the H3 3D gimbal mount. Thanks for all the work you guys put in. Can't wait to get mine in. Had to throw a note in here....didn't know how to tag the thread for future reference otherwise!! :D
FYI- At the very bottom, left side of the page is the topic subscribe button. ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl