H3-2D Gimbal pitch control not working with Phantom 2

You have calibrated the x1 channel in the assistant software haven't you? I'd do that before sending anything back, In Fact I'd calibrate the x1 channel after i installed any gimbal or made any changes to firmware etc, or it doesn't work.

Driffill said:
You have calibrated the x1 channel in the assistant software haven't you? I'd do that before sending anything back, In Fact I'd calibrate the x1 channel after i installed any gimbal or made any changes to firmware etc, or it doesn't work.

I can't even get it to recognize the X1 channel. Period.

Yeah I did the RC update using the RC Assistant tonight, and now my X1 calibration has gone nuts. It worked perfectly fine before this.

I would have just left well enough alone, but DJI requested the update for P2 machines before installing the Zenmuse (which arrives TOMORROW!!!)

So now I'm not going to be able to install my gimbal until the X1 issue is resolved. I can't even get it to center, so I'm afraid the camera will go nuts if I try to use it :(

Hi...hope it helps...
i found my self on similiar case 2 days ago...
my pitch got no movement after i slide a lil bit on X1 sliders adjustment.
after scratching my head for a few minutes...then i try clicking " X1 CALIBRATION " button then move my pitch control on the main controller .back and forth/left to right a few times. then everything back to normal...
try this method hope it helps...

I did that many times... what ended up fixing it was going into the RC Assistant tool, doing the calibrate from there and when it told me to move the sticks in all directions, ALSO move the X1 back and forth all the way - even though it said nothing about the X1 lever. From there I saw it move correctly from -1000 to 1000. After I said finish I turned the remote off and unplugged it, and then reattached the back with gimbal pitch lever in place. Then I had to go back into the Naza assistant and basic / RC / Calibrate the X1 again updating it with the correct travel of the small lever.

Now THAT part works, but one of my sticks won't calibrate correctly so it's telling me I won't be able to fly the craft in NAZA because the values are wacked up. Now I have to try and fix THAT today. Fun stuff.

I take it back - all calibrated and working now! You have to use the RC assistant software first, go through calibration and ensure you not only roll the sticks around at that point, but also move X1 back and forth with a screwdriver through full lock left and right a few times, then shut down and do calibrate again in Naza software. All good now and ready for my gimbal!

adam12hicks said:
I take it back - all calibrated and working now! You have to use the RC assistant software first, go through calibration and ensure you not only roll the sticks around at that point, but also move X1 back and forth with a screwdriver through full lock left and right a few times, then shut down and do calibrate again in Naza software. All good now and ready for my gimbal!

Thanks a lot! This solved my problem with the X1 not calibration correctly.

SOLUTION TO GIMBAL CONTROL ISSUE:

I am pleased to say that I found the solution to the gimbal misbehaving where it locks itself un the upward or downward position and although it still self levels, the slide switch on the RC has no effect on tilting the **** thing.

Go to the DJI website, download (or just read) page one of the Zenmuse H3-2D product release notes, dated January 9, 2014. Follow the instructions line by line and 'Hey Presto!', problem fixed. I did this this afternoon after updating firmware yesterday. I didn't notice any problems until I had a fly this morning and I thought I'd broken my gimbal. I found a couple of online cooments about the gimbal slider being broken etc but I thought I'd try the simple approach, thankfully it worked.

adam12hicks said:

I just found your post after a search. I have had this problem for weeks and did what you suggested and that did the job.
Thanks so much, and thanks for all the great posts and info on this board.

Got my Phantom 2 Saturday, gimbal and everything worked great until Monday evening when I did all of the latest upgrades.
Yesterday my first problem was the pitch no longer responds to the controller. Called tech support and was able to speak to someone (took 1hr 9 minutes to get to a technician.) He seemed unsure of what to do and after calibrating the gimbal and nothing changed he gave me a RMA. After the call I (deciding there is probably a problem on the upgrade) tried to redo the upgrades. Now the front red lights only come on briefly when first powering up and then go out and the motors will not start. When calibrating the gimbal and switching back and forth the gimbal points straight down and will briefly come up just a few degrees before dropping back down. I can lock it either straight down or up (straight ahead). It still functions correctly when tilting the copter.
I bought this thing to tape and photo a very large wedding on 4-5 after deciding the QX350 Blade I had wasn't going to work. Now the blade is sold and the Phantom will be gone probably 3 to 4 weeks. I saved $65.00 by ordering the Phantom 2 on Ebay but now I don't have a local dealer to work with.
In hindsight I should have gone by the " if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

nammac said:
Got my Phantom 2 Saturday, gimbal and everything worked great until Monday evening when I did all of the latest upgrades.
Yesterday my first problem was the pitch no longer responds to the controller. Called tech support and was able to speak to someone (took 1hr 9 minutes to get to a technician.) He seemed unsure of what to do and after calibrating the gimbal and nothing changed he gave me a RMA. After the call I (deciding there is probably a problem on the upgrade) tried to redo the upgrades. Now the front red lights only come on briefly when first powering up and then go out and the motors will not start. When calibrating the gimbal and switching back and forth the gimbal points straight down and will briefly come up just a few degrees before dropping back down. I can lock it either straight down or up (straight ahead). It still functions correctly when tilting the copter.
I bought this thing to tape and photo a very large wedding on 4-5 after deciding the QX350 Blade I had wasn't going to work. Now the blade is sold and the Phantom will be gone probably 3 to 4 weeks. I saved $65.00 by ordering the Phantom 2 on Ebay but now I don't have a local dealer to work with.
In hindsight I should have gone by the " if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Try this utility and see my post earlier in this thread. It fixed my similar "sounding" issue":

Did you upgrade your firmware? Mine and others gimbal control worked before the firmware update and stopped working after the update. If so check this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5116

Driffill said:

I just updated my P2 w gimbal to V2 firmware. Now my gimbal doesn't work PLUS the gimbal calibration doesn't even show the lever operating when it did before. I even bound another known good transmitter (DJI) to it and no go. Tried the RC assistant and on 2 computers the tx doesn't show or hook up. This bites as with 1.8 I've flown to 3 miles no problem, had gimbal control etc.

Well I got the gimbal going! What a pain in the ***. Kept messing with it till I updated the P330CB (Center Board) firmware a second time to 1.0.1.24. It was already updated but I just went in and did it again and viola, it works. There is no rhyme or reason to this sometimes. I still can't get the Phantom RC Assistant to see my transmitter when I plug a usb into it. Don't care at this point as it's seen in the Phantom2 Assistant. What is odd though. I knew there was the V2 update for the Main Controller but when I fired up the P2 Assistant it said I was up to date with 1.8 even though the pop up box said to update to V2? I had to uninstall P2 Assistant then reinstall for it to indicate it as a a update available.

A year later and now the problem seems to be mine. Installed the gimbal yesterday, and have no pitch control. I even worked the pot by hand and nada. The NAZA connection to the gimbal works (a single wire from a ribbon wire), because when I unplug it, the giimbal moves to the position I set with the plastic screwdriver, and entering numbers into the assistant moves the gimbal. The transmitter doesn't seem to be interacting with the rest of the system. Did anyone ever come up with a fix? I'm prob going to jump to Phantom 3, but it sure would be nice to get this thing working the way others seems to have done.

I had this problem & traced it to the Gimbal Tilt Control Gain being set to '0'. In the Phantom 2 Assistant software you'll find it under the 'Advanced' tab, then 'Gimbal'. If you adjust the setting up to 100 & then back down again switching X1 back & forth you'll see how quickly it responds. I set mine to '5' for slow response, but a setting of '0' seemingly prevents it working at all.

I also found that by setting the vertical adjustment back a bit (-10 for me), that the gimbal stopped the GoPro short of the point where the propellers get into the top of the shot.

Hope that helps someone!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic