Ground Station as a Filming Tool

might be better to get the $250 and sell the parts as you said. I really don't think I need to bother with the osd. do you have a photo of the wires you soldered. I would rather do that then have to order the cable. And thanks for all the info I am looking forward to it arriving this Wed.

funtimegrandpa said:
might be better to get the $250 and sell the parts as you said. I really don't think I need to bother with the osd. do you have a photo of the wires you soldered. I would rather do that then have to order the cable. And thanks for all the info I am looking forward to it arriving this Wed.

If you don't have one already then you'll really like the iOSD, the canbus hub isn't needed on the P2s. I don't have a picture of my wires handy but there are lots of threads on the topic with other internal pictures. The yellow brown, red brown wire is what is used for FPV.

havasuphoto said:
Let me take a stab at this-since I've been playing with the GS-simulator and have seen what others are doing. Let's say the "heading" to your next waypoint is 100 degree's-that's the nose direction to the waypoint.
If you want the nose turned left, 90 degree's, change that to 10 degree's. 100-90+10 degree's. And, if you want the nose to point to the right 90 degree's, add that, so you would have 100+90=190 degree's.
The aircraft should still fly to the waypoint, but you are telling it to face 90 degree's away from the flight path.......

I found this on the rcgroups forums, but I have not tried it yet:

"You can still do it, but you need to do the math ahead of time to calculate the heading for each waypoint. Divide 360/15 and that is a heading change of 24 degrees for each waypoint. so, have WP 0 at the top (north) side of the circle, heading 180. Then the next waypoint 1 would have a heading of 204 or 156 depending on which way you run the circle.Us stop n turn mode with a hold of 1 second. "

Maybe when i get the time I will try this on flight simulator mode. Maybe one of you can try this and report your results.

Spiderx1 said:
Is there a way to aim the camera, such as flying down a road and filming the houses on the side as you pass.
I was hoping the heading entry in the point to point method would do this, but so far no, it does not seem to
matter which heading I enter.

Not managed it with the GS but have used IOC course lock to achieve it on a straight road.

MStacey said:
Spiderx1 said:
Is there a way to aim the camera, such as flying down a road and filming the houses on the side as you pass.
I was hoping the heading entry in the point to point method would do this, but so far no, it does not seem to

Not managed it with the GS but have used IOC course lock to achieve it on a straight road.

+1 IOC course lock is the easiest way to create simple passes like that for filming, where the Phantom is moving in one direction but filming in another. The aircraft will follow a straight path you designate, and you can rotate it all you want as it does.

OI Photography said:
MStacey said:
Spiderx1 said:

+1 IOC course lock is the easiest way to create simple passes like that for filming, where the Phantom is moving in one direction but filming in another. The aircraft will follow a straight path you designate, and you can rotate it all you want as it does.

Could you be so kind to explain how CL establishes a GPS point to follow and is in theory a straight line? If you know the answer. Cause I have tried CL and got mixed results.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok lets have a go

Houses I want to Video
_____ Road ___________________

Park ( me sat in it)
--> Phantom Nose Direction at 90 degrees

Power up Phantom on ground , let it acquire home lock etc in the normal way. Lift off and fly Phantom to where you want video to start

Houses I want to Video
_____ Road ___________________

so i fly the Phantom manually to here /\ (Phantom now with nose pointing at Houses)
Switch on IOC Course lock . Remember the Phantom started with its nose pointed -->>
therefore even though the nose is now pointed at the houses with course lock on we pull the right stick back towards us and Phantom flies right to left along the road. ( i.e. back is in relation to the direction the nose was pointing at power on.

If instead of Course Lock we had selected home lock and pulled back on the right stick then no matter which way the phantom was currently pointing it would fly in a direct line back to the home point.

Does that help ?

mcmax20 said:
rodemic said:
I've been playing around in simulation mode, trying to create a flight path to fly in a circle but keep the middle as the point of interest. I have edited the headings in 36 degree increments using 10 waypoints. Will this work? Weather isnt too great at the moment so I can't test it out. I also assume that this will only make the Phantom fly to the next waypoint and then change orientation at arrival, instead of a gradual arc. To do this would require adaptive headings yes?

Let me know if this works as I have already tried that as well using the 10point circle template and also changing by 36 degrees. My results were the P2 flying in a circle but only looking at my point of interest at each waypoint, not the whole time. Haven't had much time to play with it since then and I don't remember if I used adaptive turning.

It won't keep the camera pointed at the centre point. The 'heading Option' seems to be only available in stop/turn mode, if you select bank or adaptive turn the heading option is not available, at least in the iOS version

OI Photography said:
extrememc, MStacy's explanation there is one way to approach it. Basically you point the Phantom in the direction you want the course line to be and record that.

Page 9 here is the formal instructions: http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... ual_en.pdf

So CL can be activated (flashing green lights) in flight (hovering) with nose (gimbal facing) pointed in direction of course?

extrememc said:
OI Photography said:
extrememc, MStacy's explanation there is one way to approach it. Basically you point the Phantom in the direction you want the course line to be and record that.

Page 9 here is the formal instructions: http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... ual_en.pdf

So CL can be activated (flashing green lights) in flight (hovering) with nose (gimbal facing) pointed in direction of course?

Pretty much. It records your initial direction 30 seconds after you power on the Phantom, but you can manually set a new direction for it at any time after that like this:

"Switch the S2 between OFF and CL position quickly 3 to 5 times to record current nose direction as new forward direction"

(Assuming you have IOC enabled in the NAZA assistant first)

Yes it's enabled. Was not aware that "Switching the S2 between OFF and CL position quickly 3 to 5 times to record current nose" was require. After that is complete then I should see flashing green lights.

extrememc said:
Yes it's enabled. Was not aware that "Switching the S2 between OFF and CL position quickly 3 to 5 times to record current nose" was require. After that is complete then I should see flashing green lights.

Correct, a quick sequence of green flashes, like the one you get shortly after power-on.

funtimegrandpa said:
I hope someone can help. I just got my new Phantom 2 with gimbal 2 axis. It fly's great, but two things are going wrong. I am using the Gopro Hero 3+ Black camera and the fatshark FPV and IOSD mini. the first thing that will happen is the gimbal on its own will tip to the right and stay that way. The tilt works fine and can be adjusted with the arm on the TX but for no reason it will just tilt to the right and maybe a few second later it might work the proper way, but it keeps doing this.

The other problem is that I loose video from the camera the transmitter is still working as I see the OSD information but the camera will just stop even though it is still recording. I have it set video only, 1080 wide 60 fps I tried 30 also but it still happen.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Grandpa Jake
Grandpa Jake: Your in the wrong place. This thread is about the Ground Station as a filming tool. I suggest you start a new thread.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

OI Photography said:
extrememc said:
OI Photography said:

Pretty much. It records your initial direction 30 seconds after you power on the Phantom, but you can manually set a new direction for it at any time after that like this:

"Switch the S2 between OFF and CL position quickly 3 to 5 times to record current nose direction as new forward direction"

(Assuming you have IOC enabled in the NAZA assistant first)

Went out and played with CL yesterday. Got the flashing yellow lights. My question is does it record a new point when you move left or right of starting point?

Can we all please keep threads relevant to the subject line. There are far to many off topic posts in this thread and others. This is about using the Ground Station as a filming tool - pretty specific and interesting to my angle on flying P2's. I find it so frustrating having no active moderators on this forum and the lack of self discipline in postings that I am fast considering moving to another forum that is better structured and moderated.

I am sorry I put this in the wrong location, if you would have given me a chance from your first response I would have removed it. It is sad to see someone with such anger. I do understand that you want relevant topics and yes, this may not be exactly that so I will remove it. I just needed some help and was not sure of where to place it. So consider it done, and just try to chill a bit and relax. I bet most people have some forgiveness in them and again I apologize for not removing it quicker.

Grandpa Jake

funtimegrandpa said:
I am sorry I put this in the wrong location, if you would have given me a chance from your first response I would have removed it. It is sad to see someone with such anger. I do understand that you want relevant topics and yes, this may not be exactly that so I will remove it. I just needed some help and was not sure of where to place it. So consider it done, and just try to chill a bit and relax. I bet most people have some forgiveness in them and again I apologize for not removing it quicker.

Grandpa Jake
That's OK. You haven't done anything to warrant forgiveness, just a mistake and a little discipline needed, which we all need at times all allbeit a little patronising. But don't get it out of perspective by slanging me. You obviously haven't recognized the difference between anger and frustration. I am not angry. The problem is throughout this forum (there is indeed another thread here discussing this very thing) where there is no moderators at work keeping the threads relevant and moving the posts to more appropriate locations in the forums where the subject can be more suitably addressed.

It just takes a little discipline to assess if an intended post is relevent to the current thread. If not please create a new topic.

All the longer serving folk here want to help others as much as possible, it makes it easier for those trying to help and for others who want to follow a relative topic. Makes sense I think.

So let that be the end of it and get back on topic for everyone's sake.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20