Ground control to major tom

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience building a true ground control base? Specifically, I have built my landing pad on top of my workshop and i would like to install antennea on a 16ft rod over the building to control the drone. In addition, control my drone from my computer within the shop with joystick/display.

I'd love to sit in my recliner and fly a drone around the neighborhood, but the first rule I'd be violating is the VLOS requirement. Not to mention situational awareness with seeing and hearing low flying helicopters. Since I'm new to all this, not sure if you can get a waiver either. Sounds unsafe.

I'd love to sit in my recliner and fly a drone around the neighborhood, but the first rule I'd be violating is the VLOS requirement. Not to mention situational awareness with seeing and hearing low flying helicopters. Since I'm new to all this, not sure if you can get a waiver either. Sounds unsafe.

Im not in a neighborhood and Im way out in the country. So the military can fly drones out of sight but I can not? I dont follow...yah yah i know the "rules"...but seriously though...

I would call the local FAA's FSDO and ask them about the legalities. Their fines can be quite harsh.

Just kidding around....

Im talking waiver 107.31... my purpose is to track area wild turkeys, eventually develop my pc program skills to fly over areas for the TWRA or university groups.

I built my external antenna system quite nicely. It does require amplification and solid signal/video feed is needed. The higher the antenna the better the performance. I live in a condo (Communist community) so I had to build my antenna masts to be able to be taken down after flights. I'd love to mount them on my 2nd story roof peak, but the communists won't ever allow that. As far as VLOS , wearing DJI goggles is the same as flying from a car or building. Common sense is needed as well as situational awareness. I know how low local aircraft fly around my house and never fly above 200ft. I use a 24" monitor and can jack the antenna masts up 15' giving the tips a ht. of around 20'. The experience is awesome. I use 2" PVC tubing and add 5' lengths as needed to get those puppies up high. Coax used is LMR-400 to keep the signal nice and tight within the heavily shielded cables. Keeping the amps connected directly to the antennas ensures max signal both TX and RX is as strong as possible.

Attachments

• 20180224_164819.jpg
    20180224_164819.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 480
  • 20180224_164737.jpg
    20180224_164737.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 508
  • 20170402_072315.jpg
    20170402_072315.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 441
Here is the story that got me to build my set up. If you can read all 118 pages it's a great adventure.
(If you get hooked, your "Amazon buy finger" will get blistered and sore)

Flying from inside house or car anyone?

I built my external antenna system quite nicely. It does require amplification and solid signal/video feed is needed. The higher the antenna the better the performance. I live in a condo (Communist community) so I had to build my antenna masts to be able to be taken down after flights. I'd love to mount them on my 2nd story roof peak, but the communists won't ever allow that. As far as VLOS , wearing DJI goggles is the same as flying from a car or building. Common sense is needed as well as situational awareness. I know how low local aircraft fly around my house and never fly above 200ft. I use a 24" monitor and can jack the antenna masts up 15' giving the tips a ht. of around 20'. The experience is awesome. I use 2" PVC tubing and add 5' lengths as needed to get those puppies up high. Coax used is LMR-400 to keep the signal nice and tight within the heavily shielded cables. Keeping the amps connected directly to the antennas ensures max signal both TX and RX is as strong as possible.

Wow. This is exactly the approach Im looking for. Can you explain more? Or PM me the details?

What Phantom revision do you use? P3 or P4?

What Phantom revision do you use? P3 or P4?

Both. My p3 is my banger/guinea pig and my p4 is more for my business use. I am looking to use the p3 for my local ground station home flights.

Im about 8 pages in on that 118 page adventure. I have already almost bought the antennea and i have already ordered a UAVMaxx thing for the p4.
At any point in that thread did anyone create a materual list and instructions for each item and how to properly install it?

This is where to start. This will enable any external antenna set up.

Begin here: DJI - Clean Install Kit

Antennas: 8.5db 2.4 GHz 8.5 dBi Omnidirectional Antenna - N-Male Connector - HG2409U
9db 2.4 GHz 9 dBi Omnidirectional Antenna - N-Female Connector - HG2409U-PRO

Amps: RF LINX Bi-Directional Amp MN:2400SAXU | eBay

Coax: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008B49AZI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amp power injectors: Replacement DC Power Injectors / Bias-T

12v batteries (optional, but recommended): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016BJCRUO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Building supplies vary, search as needed. I used 3" pvc which works very well.

Split ring pipe hangers used: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=tools&field-keywords=3"+split+ring+hanger+

All coax and power connectors vary by need. Familiarize and search as needed....

My initial control room set up. (Moved amps to antenna to maximize signal)

Attachments

• 20170408_215605.jpg
    20170408_215605.jpg
    651.8 KB · Views: 440
Amp power injection with 12v DC batteries

Attachments

• 20180101_151618.jpg
    20180101_151618.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 353
Dang man, thanks so much! Looks like im going to get to a little more research then start procuring these items! Again, thanks dude. This is awesome

You people rock. Thanks for the push down this rabbit hole....

Directional 14db's

Attachments

• 20171213_170654.jpg
    20171213_170654.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 335
  • 20161202_065434.jpg
    20161202_065434.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 381
Reactions: foconnell1

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics