Ground control to major tom

And you thought microwave was just for popcorn.........

Reactions: JohnnyB
Upon further thought I am thinking that the controller for the P3S uses it's 5.8ghz band only for the wifi connection to the drone, not the control or video feed. Since I don't have the P3S I cannot verify. If this is true you can use two 2.4ghz leads for the control and video feed aspect and not worry about the 5.8ghz part as it might only come into effect while connecting initially. Unsure, mabey someone with a P3S can pipe in here.

On the P3S, the 2.4 is WiFi, and the 5.8 is control/transmitter.

The single pole antenna on the P3S r/c is the 5.8. There are two 2.4 wafer shaped WiFi discs inside the r/c for WiFi signals.

I use an Itelite DBS on my R/C that moves all antennas outside the case for stronger signal to/from the bird. Hope this helps.

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
So then he would need one 5.8 booster for video/control and the 2.4ghz not needed to be boosted?

So then he would need one 5.8 booster for video/control and the 2.4ghz not needed to be boosted?

Truthfully I didn’t read the entire thread, so I don’t know what you are trying to do. Just wanted to answer your 2.4-5.8 question.

EDIT : After reading a bit of the ‘rabbit hole’ concept, I believe you are on the right track........just have to adapt it to the P3S. Good luck [emoji106]

Last edited:
Here is a explanation of its function (P3S):

The remote controller is taken from the Phantom 2 and operates at 5.8 Ghz. (Control signal)
The video is streamed at 720p via Wi-Fi at 2.4 Ghz (Video feed)

Reactions: captainmilehigh
So then, both bands (2.4 & 5.8) would need boosting for extending range and using external antenna leads.

Here is a long boring, but visually clear project inside the controller installing external antenna leads for the P3S.

It appears that you'll need two 2.4ghz amps, and one 5.8ghz amp for the antennas installed either on masts or onto a building exterior. Glad my P3P's only need two in total. But once the system is installed you could switch between P3A/P's and P3S mode operation quite easily.

very cool, thanks

Im not in a neighborhood and Im way out in the country. So the military can fly drones out of sight but I can not? I dont follow...yah yah i know the "rules"...but seriously though...
I have considered the same thing except I want to mount an antenna on top of my Kawasaki Mule so I can set inside out of the dam blinding sunlight. The rules do say you have to keep the drone in site
but that is really a joke and I can tell you most people on this site do not. Why, because unless you are superman you cannot really see the drone once it is a quarter mile from. Yesterday I confused it
with two Red Tailed hawks that were in the area. (Yes folks I moved away as I love to watch them
soar and would not want to injure one.) However with that side, I would still be able to see or hear an
aircraft near me at that low an altitude and act accordingly. You will not likely be able to do that in your building. As I recall there are quite a few ads out there for the equipment you would need and even some that have a directional antenna that tracks the drone. As it gets fairly cold here in Missouri it would also be nice to set in my warm Mule and fly as the air is usually very calm when very cold out. As a old private pilot years ago I would go flying when it was 20 degrees out and you could literally turn loose of the controls and Cessna would fly perfectly on track for 10 to15 minutes.

Reactions: Jeff
Just kidding around....

Im talking waiver 107.31... my purpose is to track area wild turkeys, eventually develop my pc program skills to fly over areas for the TWRA or university groups.
unless your flying very high you'll spook the turkey . you'll need to be 200 agl much less and off they go . i know this because i've filmed plenty of turkeys . i have wondered if they think it's a hawk or eagle .

I just purchased a set of RF Linx 2400SAX amps with Dc Injection.
My issue (please correct me if I’m wrong) is that the sticker on both units say; “2400SAX-500mw”
l purchased 1W amps (supported by paper work) through eBay off a reputable seller.
I’m I missing something?
Can someone chime in and clear this up for me and weather or not I should contact the seller.

Thanks,

I just purchased a set of RF Linx 2400SAX amps with Dc Injection.
My issue (please correct me if I’m wrong) is that the sticker on both units say; “2400SAX-500mw”
l purchased 1W amps (supported by paper work) through eBay off a reputable seller.
I’m I missing something?
Can someone chime in and clear this up for me and weather or not I should contact the seller.

Thanks,

You are correct.. I would definitely contact them and get the ones you ordered. That sucks dude..

Soo much great info in this thread. I thought I would bump for any fresh takes and additional info.

Any way we could get a run down by someone for the P4 or Inspire?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164