Greetings to all!

Reaction score
New user here.

P3S. I got it as a good deal on BF along with many others.

Have flown the other versions of the P3, nad the Inspire twice.
(I was leveraging my heli CFII for a training company not to be named here, but when I demanded payment for services rendered, seems they didn't like that).

R/C helis and A/C before that.

Have charged batt's and setup, FW update. Did a prelim compass calibration and did 3 short test hops with it, very nice.

IMU checked and though ok, since it had a FW update, I went hahead and on a level surface did a IMU Cal.

Field nearby with room to get it going a bit without obstructions, power lines, etc. Unfortunately it may be Sat until I can take it out there.

Had already registered with FAA or my R/C models, so sticker affixed and good on that front.

I got the P3S for two reasons:

1. Cost.

2. That I really have no plan with it moving forward other than enjoying flying it and possily doing some shots/video for friend events.
(I could do commercial, but prefer not to)

Also partly because rules mean LOS flying, the range of the P3S should still be more than adequate here.

Backpack case coming in next day or so, amazon, cheaper.

Any other thoughts for a new flyer with their own for once?

(I didn't get DJI Care yet, still considering)

Good Holidays to all,

Marc

Reactions: StevenPG
Welcome to Phantom Pilots! It sounds like you're off to a good start already.

Welcome to the forums and gratz on your new p3s :) I know range is a hot topic for many phantom pilots but I feel the standards range is just fine, for my tastes at least lol I did a range test with mine just to satisfy my curiosity and I got 5284 ft b4 rth triggered so a mile on a completely stock p3s. I am totally happy with that for the cost of a standard lol happy flying and again welcome to the forums :)

Reactions: RW-1
Hello again guys, thank you for the terrific welcome!

Got a simple Ultimax hard shell case, which will fit my P3S and be able to go up if I should upgrade later on.

Let's face it, at my age hehehe, 1/2 mi it's likely not going to be seen very well, I'd have transitioned to the display before that I think (Which violates the FAA reg anyways, who wants to do that knowingly?) :)

I'm looking forward to getting past buyers nerves and pushing that bad boy upstairs for a good look around near my house :)

I also decided not to get DJI Care, I didn't outlay the whole cost of the quad, and I'm not saying I'm going to be immune to a mishap, but I will say that I bring my Heli CFII skills to this, plus my R/C - Using checklists, making **** sure I understand the flight modes and what can happen, learning to fly it a bit on atti and landing it in that mode, the whole thing is to reduce risk. My wife says if I do smack it totally, she'd go get me another, she's a keeper eh? :)

Anyways, a slow methodical plan at the field on the first day will be warm ups, rectangular patterns and figure eights starting with watching the quad, then thru the phone, etc.

As I hope to gain confidence, I'll take it further and higher, I also want to get to a full throttle point to listen to the motors for anything abnormal in case I have to deal with a problem while under warranty.

Nervous getting back into it, my R/C stuff has sat for 5 years, but it is nice to fly something that is somewhat more enjoyable. My Heli had a solid state gyro and I was going to add a cam and stabilization to it, but moved and no longer can fly all year 'round.

I will keep track of everything, I'm sure I'll come up with the typical "Dumb" questions which you'll be happy to direct me to the appropriate resource.

I'm excited for some good wx now!

I would recommend flying around in GPS mode not atti, in GPS mode it'll stay locked in place from drifting side to side especially helpful on take-off and landing, once your comfortable with the bird playing around in atti. And then when your totally comfy start playing around with f mode just avoid follow me mode like the plague lol it's pretty wonky feature. You'll find flying around in GPS mode the bird flies itself and you can just make heading and altitude changes as needed. If you let both sticks go in GPS the bird will just hover in the same spot, these really are quite remarkable machines. Happy flying and any questions just ask away that's what we come here for :)

Reactions: Cookie$Dough
And PS yeah your wife sounds like a keeper lol :D

Hehehe, yes she is ....

Yes, I understand staying in GPS, its just to have a familiarity with atti (like a model R/C) in case something goes wrong and I have to switch to it, at least that's my thinking.

I read what you're saying on follow me on another board, I don't think I'll be trying the mode for a few weeks.

Of course, anything that comes up, I'll shoot you guys a question!

Thanks again.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31