Green dot on video from sun glare

Reaction score
Has anyone ran across this before. I bought a Vision+ camera used to replace one with a broken ribbon cable.

For some reason I end up with a green dot on screen when I am anywhere close to pointing towards sun. Like even within 60 degrees both directions. Had it the first flight with sunrise and on two flights tonight. Lens is clean externally. Even marginal sun has this issue.
2015-04-14_19-00-16.jpg

I experienced the same issue and purchased a uv lens cover for my Phantom 2 Vision it seemed to help but I did notice a small green dot on my last flight, not sure how to eliminate this all together.

I just filled out a support ticket with DJI. See what they say.

According to Google its common to a lot of camera's.

"light can reflect off of the sensor and bounce back to the lens and then back to the sensor".

I get that in all of my sunset shots and can see it on mini as I am lining up the shot .
I just line up my shot and then put her into reverse hard and take photo and crop it out if it still some of it in there .
Tryed a polarized filter with mine but it was still there .

Well I can assure you some don't do it. My last one might get a flare but never the dot.

I mostly shoot video so really can't change much.

I get that in all of my sunset shots and can see it on mini as I am lining up the shot .
I just line up my shot and then put her into reverse hard and take photo and crop it out if it still some of it in there .
Tryed a polarized filter with mine but it was still there .

It is a common thing with most cameras, I have this on my Canon 5D Mark II with many of my lenses, and my iPhone 6 too. As stated earlier in the topic, light reflects off the sensor and back to the optical elements. Therefore, a polarized filter won't help, because it will only stop polarized light (reflected light) from entering the lens' outer element, and not "internal" reflections.

What might help is a ND-filter that reduces the amount of light that travels through your optics; less light is less likely to reflect of the sensor. Removing it in post is usually a quick process too, which often is far easier than adding extra glass or lens elements.

After googling it I did notice a lot of iPhone users report the same problem. My problem is I can rotate the phantom 120 degrees (60 each way) and its still there. It would be very hard to remove in post with video.

My last camera never did it so hoping DJI will do something about it. I talked to the guy I bought it from and he told me that its a new camera that DJI sent him after having issues with the $450 repaired one they sent back to him. So maybe he can get them to replace it.

LOL, hear back from DJI with just a link to this thread.

I think I need to find a new manufacturer to buy from. Their support sucks !

LOL, hear back from DJI with just a link to this thread.

I think I need to find a new manufacturer to buy from. Their support sucks !

true from what we read, never have used it.

But isn't this a used camera you bought from some guy that said....

Not sure DJI service would apply except as a fee.

BTW :
last evening flying with a different camera setup my dot was orangish so I think it is a thing that is common more than a defect. but I may be wrong

This is with mine so I am sure you can figure out something. Mine has no lenses and was only cleaned up in lightroom.

11161359_10203947418914382_2607791849998593495_n.jpg

true from what we read, never have used it.

But isn't this a used camera you bought from some guy that said....

Not sure DJI service would apply except as a fee.

Yes. But the the original owner contacted them about the problem and they pointed him to this link.

Its fine. Just going to move on.

I was going to order a P3 when the pipeline got filled but I think I am going to try a 3DR Solo instead. DJI owes me a credit on a P2V+ version 3 at the moment. So I think that money will just go towards a Solo with a gimbal.

This is with mine so I am sure you can figure out something. Mine has no lenses and was only cleaned up in lightroom.

11161359_10203947418914382_2607791849998593495_n.jpg

Photo looks great!

However am have no intention of cleaning up video which is mostly all I shoot. My other camera and previous phantom had no green dot issues.

I have been wanting to upgrade anyway.

I was going to order a P3 when the pipeline got filled but I think I am going to try a 3DR Solo instead. DJI owes me a credit on a P2V+ version 3 at the moment. So I think that money will just go towards a Solo with a gimbal.
3DR Solo is 1800 dollars once you factor in the gimbal and GoPro. Id go with the phantom 3.

You are correct on price but still leaning towards Solo. I don't like the fact DJI basically tossed a 4K head on a crappy gimbal like we have on our P2V+ and called it good.

The p3 is impressive so have not ruled it out. One year from now the competition is going to be stiff.

You are correct on price but still leaning towards Solo. I don't like the fact DJI basically tossed a 4K head on a crappy gimbal like we have on our P2V+ and called it good.

The p3 is impressive so have not ruled it out. One year from now the competition is going to be stiff.
I believe you may be right on the competition. It seems to me that the R/C world is about to get really big with the introduction of drones. That's why I built a multi-state R/C Classifieds site. ;)

I almost hate the see the competition and price drop that will come with it. Just because every Tom **** and Harry will have one. Less than serious users will be the ones making news.

I almost hate the see the competition and price drop that will come with it. Just because every Tom **** and Harry will have one. Less than serious users will be the ones making news.

Then let's be the serious users ;) With the prices dropping the better tech will be more affordable, hopefully.

Yea I agree. You just know how it goes when some stuff becomes "too affordable" :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues