Great article on DJI possibly over flooding market

Reaction score
DJI’s new Phantom 4 Advanced makes their lineup even more confusing
Posted 20 hours ago by Fitz Tepper (@fitztepper)
dji-phantom-4-advanced-b-tilt.jpg

DJI has announced a new drone in the Phantom 4 lineup.

The Phantom 4 Advanced will take the place of the regular old Phantom 4, which will be discontinued on April 30th when the new version launches. The new drone will cost $1,349 – $50 less than the original Phantom 4’s starting price.

The Phantom 4 Advanced will borrow a bunch of features from the Phantom 4 Pro, which remains on sale for $1,499.

Most notably, the new drone will take the same 1-inch, 20-megapixel sensor that the Pro has. This will let the drone capture 4K video at 60fps. It will also get the intelligent flight modes that the Phantom 4 Pro has which let you pre-program your drone to fly certain routes or follow you around.

What won’t it have? The Phantom 4 Advanced will still only have forward and downwards obstacle avoidance, unlike the Pro version’s backwards and side obstacle avoidance.

But besides that, there’s really not that big of a difference between the two.

Good article from TechCrunch about the confusing of the enthusiaast market and how they could shoot their own toe.

Uses GoPro as an example of a company that grew too fast and then made some bad choices on, well, choices. :p

Personally, I think they were lucky when they didn't do that with the P4 and the P4P, P3P, P3A, and P3S still available.

P4 added the first OA (which turned out to be a bust if you ask me. I believe we are just arriving in the age of OA but you need some worst ones first), but the P3P I think was actually as good or maybe even better than the P3P. It certainly wasn't I MUST GET THAT better but it made a clear distinction between the P4 and the P3 line. Then there was a pretty clear distinction between the A and the P (4k vs 1080p), The consumer can follow that.

Unless you're in the hobby the distinction between the Standard and it using a straight downlink vs. the Lightbridge tech, you just had to believe the many peoply saying it but then consumers had to way that against get a pretty identical formfactor vs. having LB or not.

Then came along the P4 and for whatever reason, it sold long gangbusters (if you ask me), it was EXACTLY for all the reasons I just said. It CLEARLY had everything over the ones below it (per the marketing anyway) and people just bought it.

The Mavic being in a line of it's own, even if you have a P3 and a P4, you had to get the Mavic (if you wanted a vacation bird). Of course when The Spark comes out probably in June it will make people nuts that bought the Mavic for that reason because I don't think it's a racer as some have suggested. I've seen the guts, as have many of you have and I don't think this thing will be sold to people who will crash it over and over and then be expected to fix it on their own and the last thing they want is to inundate their CS.

So with the advanced P4, and the P4A, and the P4P, you have what we had here before with the P5 around the bend but the differences between the P4, P4A, and P4P are too close together and not as definable as above. Until they release the P5 (which it is now obvious they will announce soon, the 3 above are going to go stale on purchasing pretty quick). One of my birds is currently being repaired. I will be stoked, but surprised if they send me a P4A or P4P instead. :) Yeah, wishful thinking.

I think the TC article does a good job of laying out the dangers in too many products in comparing to the GoPro but DJI has not done much wrong yet so until they do. That said, GoPro was just at about the same place when they started making their mistakes. I'll remind you that GoPro is still worth (I just checked) 1.2 billion dollars but they were way above the 10 billion dollar evaluation (probably more than than since the Mavic), maybe double that even.

In case you don't know, the Mavic is the best selling UAS ever in the history of RC electronics. Nothing in the RC world has sold as much as the Mavic so look for a lot of companies making Mavic like products which is probably why they rushed the Spark (and the Mavic because of GoPro TBH), If they knew GoPro was going to fall on in it's face, I bet they would have waited.

Either way, DJI owns the RC world right now. If they get their CS together, they will be unstoppable because the world over is still looking for a company with solid, happy, "Yes we will return your UAS in 30 days if you don't like it for any reason" company to do what they are doing an that company WILL come around. The stakes are just too high. The people around here knew and know how important the UAS world will be to the world, but your average person thinks it's just a fun game for us old people that can afford to spend $5000 on a toy and frankly it is for us but we also know where it's going.

DJI’s new Phantom 4 Advanced makes their lineup even more confusing

Last edited:
Reactions: Daptone

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4