Grainy video when light changes

• Thread starter Deleted member 98051
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 98051

When my drone goes from a darker place to where it's sunny or I just move the camera down and back up it goes all like grainy for a second or two and then it's fine but if I'm trying to take a cool shot and it does that it's not so cool makes it look really bad anyone know how to fix this?

Grainy shots usually have to do with the ISO being too high, change it off of auto and shoot just in ISO 100.

Reactions: Oso
Here's what I do. I switch to manual and set my ISO to 100. Then I set my shutter speed to be 2x whichever frame rate I selected. For example, if I chose a 30fps setting, I put my shutter to 1/60. Then its just a matter of choosing whichever ND filter gets my EV to zero.

It seems like I use my ND8 more than any other, though everyone has their own light environment and video setting favorites.

Here's what I do. I switch to manual and set my ISO to 100. Then I set my shutter speed to be 2x whichever frame rate I selected. For example, if I chose a 30fps setting, I put my shutter to 1/60. Then its just a matter of choosing whichever ND filter gets my EV to zero.

It seems like I use my ND8 more than any other, though everyone has their own light environment and video setting favorites.
Ok thanks, I don't have any ND filters though I'm getting one tho which one to get tho?

Is this chart true?

Attachments

• IMG_7312.PNG
    IMG_7312.PNG
    24.9 KB · Views: 329
Seems about right. If you only get one, probably ND8. ND16 after that. I have an ND32 that I've used at high noon in the sun and it's almost too much.

Even without a filter, keeping your ISO low keeps out the grain, but I don't think you'll have bad shots if you have to go to 200. Mostly it's the auto setting's choices, I think I've seen mine choose ISO 1600.

To expand on 'ryantrax' reply, on auto the camera will typically go for a higher ISO setting in poor light. The higher the ISO the more noise (or grain) will become apparent. By controlling the ISO level you force the camera to compensate with shutter speed / aperture. ND filter artificially reduces the light reaching the sensor.

Interesting advice from 'oso'. I'm going to give that a crack.

Currently I'm experimenting with a cheap variable ND filter and getting some good results. I would consider an ND of 4 a minimum. An ND of 8 sounds about right.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl