GPS Troubles - unfixable on P2V+ v2

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been reading so much around here and other places about the troubles of the GPS with the P2V+. While many seem to be able to fix the issue with the well known aluminum/copper fix, this was not my case. I've searched high and low for a solution, and have now pretty much decided to return it.

The Phantom 2 Vision Plus was my first quad ever (yes, I am that stereotype, although I have ordered a Hubsan X4 for training), and I was terrified of flying it. Such and expensive instrument in the sky, with thousands of things that could go wrong! I've been taking it slowly though, and have now stacked up roughly 4 hrs of flying time, still without any major incidents. The first time I flew it I had a hard time controlling it at certain points, and it would drift all over the place: after gaining some more experience I clearly see now that the reason for this was the quad going into ATTI since it lost all GPS signals while filming. It was very overwhelming for me as a completely inexperienced pilot, but luckily there wasn't any accidents.

After conferring with the supplier they sent me an extra GPS shielding pad, and I bought myself some aluminum tape to shield the cable correctly. Here are some photos from my install:

GPS Unit:

Shielded cable:

Pulled cable back:

Second layer of shielding with alu foil between:

GPS unit under 2 shielding pads with aluminum tape sandwiched between them:

Still, I end up with this:

This was after a 5 minute warm-up, with my iphone receiving 8 satellites on the same spot. As you can see, all GPS signals are lost after 10 seconds of recording.

It is really annoying not being able to use GPS functions, i.e. homelock is something that could save me from screwing up one day, and I need to practice it in order to know how to use it. I also take a lot of photos, and being able to have a steady hover is key IMO. No to mention the fact that if the drone should end up out of range or loose the connection to the controller for some reason, it would never be able to find it's way home. The last thing my P2V+ can call itself is "a tripod in the sky" as DJI says.

Anyone else experienced this without being able to fix it?

Attachments

• drone1.jpg
    drone1.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 484
  • drone2.jpg
    drone2.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 537
  • drone3.jpg
    drone3.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 460
  • drone5.jpg
    drone5.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 485
  • drone6.jpg
    drone6.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 470
Were you testing for GPS inside the house because that's what appears that you are doing. The first photo only shows 5 satellites not 8 as you have claimed. While working on my P2 NV I have gotten up to 8 or 9 and even GPS lock but only for a few seconds which is not unusual in the house.

jason said:
Were you testing for GPS inside the house because that's what appears that you are doing. The first photo only shows 5 satellites not 8 as you have claimed. While working on my P2 NV I have gotten up to 8 or 9 and even GPS lock but only for a few seconds which is not unusual in the house.
Sorry, my iphone received 8 sats, not the quad. Testing is exclusively done outside, I wouldn't even bother looking for GPS signal inside as it has big enough problems under clear sky. I've been flying a couple of times since the mod was done (about 8 flights I think), and I've never had more than 8 sats. Usually idles between 4 and 6, except when I'm filming, I can get 3 if I'm lucky.

Hmm, I think after all of the shielding you have done should have fixed the issue by now. You may have a defective GPS unit in the first place. You can send your GPS unit to be upgraded to a 4mm taoglass GPS for improved GPS lock. Either Call Jeremy James of Hani UAV for such repair.

Best, as you mentioned, to try to return it for refund or exchange first if that is possible.
Swapping the antenna is no guarantee to correct your problem(s).

Ya I would agree that if you can return it to go that route.

But if not being that is shielded and if you did the foil mod to providing none of the foil is touching ANY thing on the back of the GPS puck and causing a short. Then there is some thing not right with the gps unit or the connector in the board.

Tho that big black plug that is on the gps have been known to come with lose pin connectors and that could be the cause to.
due to that issue I now take out the pin connectors on the plug of any gps unit and use a bobby pin to push down the two brass tabs in each connector then put the connectors back in the plug and the plug then plugs in to the board much more snug and then less chance it will ever have any contact issues.

also for any one that does the foil mod if you use conductive foil MAKE sure you cover the side that is going to be faceing the puck with tape or some thing that will act as an insulator.. I had some copper foil that was supposed to have none conductive glue end up pushing up so hard against the pule that some thing scratched threw the adhesive and was causing a short some were in to my compass Oh a build I did a few weeks ago. and the compass was not only giving me error messages. the compass was also getting really really hot to the touch. OPPS. once I realized what was going on luckily it was an easy fix and no harm done. But it might not of been cool it it happened while in the air.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik