GPS Tracking for Fly Aways.

Happyflyer said:
Crank said:
...Ok... I need a bit more help.
I got my TK102B yesterday and I need a SIM Card. I looked all over today for a phone SIM Card. Some had a contract, some had no contract. Some said $10 for 30 days. Some said I needed a previous account before buying the card. What the heck!
Do I pay $10-30 a month? Every month? Will my minutes be reset to zero at the end of the month? There is also the activation for the SIM? How do you activate the dang card?
I haven't a clue. It might be the turkey screwing with my brain. What do all of you use? Do I need to pay a monthly fee?
There must be a better way! What do you use?.....
I don't have the same tracker but sim is sim. I went with T-Mobile. A "minute" card cost me $10.00 and last three months. They pull $3.00 each month out of the balance and I have (I think) 30 minutes each month. It was the cheapest method to go I could find. As long as you don't go crazy and call it, the tracker, to much, you will not run out of minutes.
Do you have a T-Mobile account already? All of the cards I saw said I needed an account. The one I got was a no name and said no contract and cost $10. I placed it in the tracker just to see what would happen. I knew I wouldn't work without a phone number, but had to try :)

Crank said:
.....Do you have a T-Mobile account already? All of the cards I saw said I needed an account. The one I got was a no name and said no contract and cost $10. I placed it in the tracker just to see what would happen. I knew I wouldn't work without a phone number, but had to try :)
I bought a T-Mobile sim off Ebay. Went through the activation process which gets you a phone number and a site to log into to see your balance. I guess you could call that an account. No contract or anything like that. When you buy a minute card you need an "account" so T-Mobile knows where the card info needs to be applied to.

Crank said:
p fandango said:
Where are you guy? UK?
I wonder if this would work here in the US? Sounds like it would. I have another application for one of these. My mother in law is very elderly and travels all over her town. She refuses to carry a phone. It sounds like a winner!

I purhased one too. I'm awaiting the arrival. It might be useful for other applications, not much data given. Great size, reasonable price.

Here is a pretty good article to follow for set up. I also had to send a command to get into SMS mode and out of GPRS.

http://www.visionflyer.com/adding-a-gps ... -2-vision/

I downloaded an android app that has most of the commands needed. I also edited one of the commands to request just 3 location report backs, instead of constant messages.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... x.tkconfig

You will have to add your tracker's phone number and input your password to be saved in app. (Leave the password default to work reliably)

Here's the edit made.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417217155316.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1417217155316.png
    264 KB · Views: 347
Just picked up a "Pay as you go" AT&T SIM card. It costs me $2.00 a day, no monthly fee, unlimited texting and calls per day. It has its own phone number. If I use it today, it will cost me $2.00 for an all day usage unlimited texting. If I don't use it for 3 months, it doesn't cost me a cent until I use it again. Then it's another $2.00 for that day. I paid $10 today and I get 5 days out of it. I call an 800 number to add more days. I like it! I gotta say, the girl there wanted to sell me another phone line for $30 a month and 2GB of data! DANG! She told me that's all AT&T has to offer. They are trying hard to sell more junk.

I looked into that AT&T $2.00 plan and decided to go with what I have. It can save you some money without a doubt. But, like Dirk, I "test" mine too often for that $2.00 plan to save me any money. I don't call it before each flight but do check the lights on it that tell me I have cell service and a GPS lock. I have been lucky so far and only time I had to do a search was for the tracker when a bird took it off my deck when testing it last Summer.

I have the TK also, but the only ting i can do is call it and it will respond back with its coordinates. it will not respond back to any commands. anyone have an idea what im doing wrong? i have looked at every setup vid and manual with no success. it works, but has other options i would like to access.

Looking online, it appears that there are magnets inside the TK 102 units. I will definitely remove those before putting it on my FC40. I can't imagine that using one without removing the magnets would not interfere with the compass.

They come with two battery covers. One has four magnets, to slap it on your kids car ;)

Thanks for the clarification. I bought one on Ebay, it'll take over a week to get here, evidently.

p fandango said:
Crank said:
I wonder if this would work here in the US? Sounds like it would. I have another application for one of these. My mother in law is very elderly and travels all over her town. She refuses to carry a phone. It sounds like a winner!
yes i'm in the UK, the one's they've pictured are different to mine. The communication is quite good on it, can hold conversations quite easily

There is a USA version. It looks the same and it should be here by now! Oh, it is on EBay too.

RF-V16 is what I bought and it is on eBay. It claims to be the smallest GPS tracker.

Try a "Tile" soon as they come out with android version this is what I will purchase, maybe!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik