GPS Tracking for Fly Aways.

Reaction score
Has anyone found a gps locator that is light enough and easy to use?
With all of the talk about fly aways, I've been looking for a very small, very light, and doesn't have a monthly charge. I found a few GPS trackers that are 50-80 grams, rechargable battery, days of intermintant transmitting, only 1.7 x 1.7 x .3 inches, less than $50, is accurate to 5 meters, will give you map position on demand, will listen in on demand, and will use a SIM card that you pay for minutes. No monthly charges! It doesn't use up minutes because it texts the position when you dial that pay for minutes SIM card. You click on that text and it pulls up Google maps. COOL! I'll bet there are a few of us that wished we had that gadget!
Anyway I'm doing some research on the best to use. I've looked at (A8 GPS, TrackerG, Pet-Tracker). Some are better than others. Just google mini locater or mini GPS tracker. You'll find a bunch.
If anyone is using a tracker, please let me know.

Yeah, I saw this one. It was my favorite one. In fact that was the first one I saw with a video. 50g weight. Nice.
It just looked too big to mount on a Phantom. Do you have trouble with its weight and size? Where did you mount it?
Do you have a good place to get it? Was it China?
TNX Man.

Thanks Dirkclod for the picture. That looks great.

Works fine in Washington State:)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416801929826.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416801929826.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 775
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416801939440.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416801939440.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 823
I use drone-mods. Not much features but it always works for me and I don't have to worry about monthly charges (only annual-ish).

dirkclod said:
Damon said:
That's the one I was looking for and someone put me on that clip the other nite !!Ya like it ?
I like it, but I had to wrap the legs with a piece of duct tape because it likes to slip forward during the course of flight. Its nice because it can be removed quickly. It would slide up to the back of the gimbal motor. (No effect on gimbal, but it bugged me)

I think it saved my gimbal during a 90ft free fall from bad motor. Absorbed some of impact then popped off of legs.

I think I'll remove the old Velcro and replace with command strips since it has been working really well holding on my vtx.

Crank said:
I wonder if this would work here in the US? Sounds like it would. I have another application for one of these. My mother in law is very elderly and travels all over her town. She refuses to carry a phone. It sounds like a winner!
yes i'm in the UK, the one's they've pictured are different to mine. The communication is quite good on it, can hold conversations quite easily

Damon said:
I like that bracket that holds your traker. Was that handmade or did you buy that some where?

I think it was a 3d print from shapeways. Not sure if its the best one, but it works. I've seen some with a shelf under tk102. But that would add even more weight.

Crank said:
Has anyone found a gps locator that is light enough and easy to use?
With all of the talk about fly aways, I've been looking for a very small, very light, and doesn't have a monthly charge. I found a few GPS trackers that are 50-80 grams, rechargable battery, days of intermintant transmitting, only 1.7 x 1.7 x .3 inches, less than $50, is accurate to 5 meters, will give you map position on demand, will listen in on demand, and will use a SIM card that you pay for minutes. No monthly charges! It doesn't use up minutes because it texts the position when you dial that pay for minutes SIM card. You click on that text and it pulls up Google maps. COOL! I'll bet there are a few of us that wished we had that gadget!
Anyway I'm doing some research on the best to use. I've looked at (A8 GPS, TrackerG, Pet-Tracker). Some are better than others. Just google mini locater or mini GPS tracker. You'll find a bunch.
If anyone is using a tracker, please let me know.
check out TRACKIMO.

Crank said:
I like that bracket that holds your traker. Was that handmade or did you buy that some where?
It is a zip tie. :D
I know different tracker.
But smaller sometimes can be better. :)

Attachments

• Tracker on.JPG
    Tracker on.JPG
    395 KB · Views: 387
dirkclod said:
Works fine in Mississippi :D
Ok... I need a bit more help.
I got my TK102B yesterday and I need a SIM Card. I looked all over today for a phone SIM Card. Some had a contract, some had no contract. Some said $10 for 30 days. Some said I needed a previous account before buying the card. What the heck!
Do I pay $10-30 a month? Every month? Will my minutes be reset to zero at the end of the month? There is also the activation for the SIM? How do you activate the dang card?
I haven't a clue. It might be the turkey screwing with my brain. What do all of you use? Do I need to pay a monthly fee?
There must be a better way! What do you use?
By the way....
HAPPY THANKSGIVING YA'LL!

For those who have a slightly higher budget and don't want to mess with quirky sim cards, I recommend the Tagg tracker (tagg.com). works pretty well, the charge lasts for nearly a month, and only 32g.
plus very easily attached to the leg of the Phantom. - tho it does have a monthly charge. (doubles as a genuine pet-tracker too)

dirkclod said:
.....Now happy you just had to show that knowing I would see them antenna's and RPG that are about to kill me to get didn't ya ;)
Well.......I guess I could have blacked them out, but, gee........ :D

Crank said:
...Ok... I need a bit more help.
I got my TK102B yesterday and I need a SIM Card. I looked all over today for a phone SIM Card. Some had a contract, some had no contract. Some said $10 for 30 days. Some said I needed a previous account before buying the card. What the heck!
Do I pay $10-30 a month? Every month? Will my minutes be reset to zero at the end of the month? There is also the activation for the SIM? How do you activate the dang card?
I haven't a clue. It might be the turkey screwing with my brain. What do all of you use? Do I need to pay a monthly fee?
There must be a better way! What do you use?.....
I don't have the same tracker but sim is sim. I went with T-Mobile. A "minute" card cost me $10.00 and last three months. They pull $3.00 each month out of the balance and I have (I think) 30 minutes each month. It was the cheapest method to go I could find. As long as you don't go crazy and call it, the tracker, too much, you will not run out of minutes.

T-Mobile for me too. Same plan.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94