GPS Tracking Device

If I attach a GPS Tracking device to my Phantom 3 Pro will it interfere with any of the electronics on the aircraft?
No, but unless you plan on flying out of signal range the tracker is useless. As long as you have signal from the Aircraft, the flight logs will do the same thing. Just a pointer.

Could you explain how this works? (the flight log)
Each time you fly, a record of the flight is stored on your device including many details. GPS locations, and around my guess off the top of my head around 30 (more of less) other parameters of the aircraft's operation etc... Think of it like an external "Black Box" if you will. There is also a second recorder on the aircraft itself..Think of this one as a full on "black box". That is about as basic as I can explain it. The logs must be converted for viewing and anaylising however, which is very easy. The analysis is not at times.

Wow as long as I could get the final GPS coordinates' off of it I could put them in my Garmin GPS unit and it would take me very close to where it is.

Do you need a special program to decode this information?
Thanks for this information!

Do you need a special program to decode this information?
Yes and No, to that. But for your stored device logs which if using GO will be in a .txt format, with Litchi they are already .csv files.
You can upload those to the link below. (Instructions are on the link) and view the basic information yourself. To get the full data file you would need to download the .csv file. Give it a try with any log you have, if you like.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I have GPS / GSM tracker and in ADDITION to flight logs gives peace of mind.

They DO have a place - if you lose all contact with the AC and it goes down different to what the last entry of the log file is ............ how will that log file help you ? It cannot as it can only give you a position that was last recorded.
Lets say you overfly the battery capacity and lose all contact and it hasn't enough battery to complete the RTH .. it will land out at critical and you have no idea at all where or what. But majority of GPS trackers will send a message to your mobile of location when sms command sent to it ...

To show how to mount and not interfere with sensors etc - here is my mount (3D printed but available on ebay) :

Its actually my general mount to carry either Soloshot tag or GPS tracker ...

Nigel

It is becoming a trend for some drone owners to attach GPS tracking device because of a lot of flyaways going on. The Tracking device should not affect the electronics of the drone. I use Trackimo which even have wifi and bluetooth capability on top of GSM/GPS tracking and I don't have any problems using it.

Litchi has a "Find my Aircraft" tab on the "General" page. It will give you the location of the last signal received from the aircraft. This will show the aircraft on a Google Earth like map or terrain. Check it out. I always fly with Litchi.
Joe
KC7GHT

Litchi has a "Find my Aircraft" tab on the "General" page. It will give you the location of the last signal received from the aircraft. This will show the aircraft on a Google Earth like map or terrain. Check it out. I always fly with Litchi.
Joe
KC7GHT
I will check this out, most of the time I fly with Litchi also.

Joe
KC7GHT

Correct but even GO with last position on screen / in the log file will give you similar .. I found my P3S that way with GO ... in fact I used it to navigate my boat to the drowned item !

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

But the point of the tracker is for those occasions when total contact lost and the last position recorded is nothing to do with eventual location ... which can be significantly different to the last position on Litchi / GO.

Nigel

Reactions: sea157

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31