GPS question

Thanks Rod. Great info!!. I’m not the best with the internet searching, but your simple search sure makes me look stupid and lazy.

Reactions: RodPad
Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
0rojyyg-png.95983

Reactions: JTC56
@JTC56,
Thanks, some of them came at you like vultures. ;)

If you think you need some help in a battle?
I think @dirkclod carry's a gun. :rolleyes: ;)

Rod

Added: Actually, general this forum goes after what we see could be bad judgement, crash, Etc...

These thinks fly in the air.
Easy to fly, until something happens, were doesn't go, down to earth, a lot faster then it went up, who or what is below?

Your control is ZERO

Last edited:
Reactions: JTC56
In addition to what other have said, I would make sure that whatever arrangement EagleWatch has with the state and federal agencies covers using drones for the observations. Even though Bald Eagles are no longer on the Endangered Species List, they are still protected and harassing them (such as coming in close proximity with a drone) is prohibited.

Also, since this is not a hobby/recreation use for your own personal enjoyment, you likely would need to get a Part 107 certificate to fly a drone for this purpose. Does Audubon have insurance that would cover this?
Be rest assured, if you disturb the nesting or the eagles in ANY WAY, ANY MANNER, the fines will be in excess of $5000.00 per criminal and civil count, and you really don't need that trouble. I agree with the previous poster, get your binoculars a good telescope or monocular and do it the safe and quiet way.

Disturbing a Bald Eagle is going to get you into a heap of trouble. Go buy a telescope or a pair of really good binoculars instead.

I have to agree. I know all Eagles are protected by federal law. You can't even possess a feather, unless you are a Native American and then special circumstances apply. I'm sure the federal statute includes their habitats. We have so many here, I have to look to there isn't one (usually 2 or 3) flying in the vicinity of my property. Had one try to attack my drone a couple years ago, at least I think that was what it was trying to do. It dove past the drone at around 200' very, very close. I didn't wait to see what his/her/it's next move was. I landed extremely PDQ. Sadly, I wasn't recording video.

Always maintain VLOS and stay away from eagles. It's that simple. Additionally, eagles will attack your drone from above. That could be expensive. There are many examples on the forum where large birds took out drones.

I have two eagles on my lake that I stay away from. Whenever I fly, I am on constant lookout for them. If they decide to approach the drone, they attack from above. If you use left, right or downward evasive strategies, you lose. On the other hand, if you rise rapidly (staying under 400') they can't attack from below and will soon lose interest in your drone.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z