Close Encounter with an Eagle

I've been harassed by Swifts, White-Throated Swifts in fact, while flying at the Toadstool Hoodoos. Swifts are the fastest birds in their group and among the fastest birds on the planet so trying to out-fly them is quite simply impossible -- the Inspire 2 wouldn't stand a chance so the P4P isn't even in the running. As you can see in my video they make frequent strafing runs at the P4P but stay far enough away to avoid contact. They are petty amazing birds for sure as they are purpose built for one thing -- speed!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Brian

Great video, incredible scenery. Aggressive birds.

Reactions: OOO
Not Taylor Swifts, just want to make that clear! ;)

Brian

Just make sure you don't get harassed by a flying Kardashian. I hear they are quite hard to handle too - if you're in their habitat

I was referring to post #10 ;-)

Ahh, OK, I try to avoid bothering wildlife but sometimes they come looking for it and you can't avoid them. If you go to them and then hover there besides them that harassment and not cool. If, OTH, they come to you and you can't avoid them that's them harassing you and that's there right. While in Guam while in the USAF I was walking to the chow-hall for lunch one day and a bird, not sure what kind as this was almost 40 years ago, would sit atop a light pole then when you walked past it would dive at you and screech at you as it streaked past your ear only inches away. Birds can be VERY territorial.

In one of my latest videos of the Horseshoe Springs in the desert west of Salt Lake City I fly over the area which is popular with many birds. I flew over one of the streams with numerous birds and didn't really disturb them because I just kept moving. Getting close and hovering is the worst, but if you fly over and continue moving away they are not generally bothered at all. When I walked the boardwalk around the place the birds were far more disturbed by me walking around than by my drone.

Brian

Just make sure you don't get harassed by a flying Kardashian. I hear they are quite hard to handle too - if you're in their habitat

Best to avoid any possibility of running into a Kardashian whether flying or not. You certainly wouldn't want to back into one!

Brian

Ahh, OK, I try to avoid bothering wildlife but sometimes they come looking for it and you can't avoid them. If you go to them and then hover there besides them that harassment and not cool. If, OTH, they come to you and you can't avoid them that's them harassing you and that's there right. While in Guam while in the USAF I was walking to the chow-hall for lunch one day and a bird, not sure what kind as this was almost 40 years ago, would sit atop a light pole then when you walked past it would dive at you and screech at you as it streaked past your ear only inches away. Birds can be VERY territorial.

In one of my latest videos of the Horseshoe Springs in the desert west of Salt Lake City I fly over the area which is popular with many birds. I flew over one of the streams with numerous birds and didn't really disturb them because I just kept moving. Getting close and hovering is the worst, but if you fly over and continue moving away they are not generally bothered at all. When I walked the boardwalk around the place the birds were far more disturbed by me walking around than by my drone.

Brian

Yes, I remember The Birds as a kid -- Hitchcock was a pretty amazing director. I grew up in upstate NY and across the street was a swampy area with ponds and some streams in addition to marshy areas. We had a lot of Red Winged Blackbirds there in addition to the Sparrows, Blue Jays, Robins, and ... Crows. It is interesting to note that Crows, like all the Corvids, are VERY smart with tool using and problem solving skills not thought to be possible. A little girl befriended a bunch of Crows by feeding them and in return they give her presents.

Brian

As smart as many birds are I think it reasonable to assume that some of them do it for the trolling fun of it. There are occasions when they do this as a public service. Years ago the singer Cyndi Lauper was singing onstage when a bird performed a perfect Stuka dive and landed a bomb right in Cyndi's mouth. Talk about circular error probability!

Brian

Love that pic!

That's a great shot.We have a wedge-tail eagles nest on the western boundary of our farm. They raise one or two off spring every year. They are very big and very territorial .I don't fly near their nest but they range far and wide so you never know where they will show up .
They are truly masters of the sky .You can see them searching for and catching thermals or generally just cruising about.It gives me a great scene of peace to watch them although if I happened to drop dead out in the paddock I fully expect they would come over and chew on my carcass but hey that's life more useful than being cremated eh.
See right at the bottom of the footage.One of four hanging around our hay shed looking for mice and snakes.

Attachments

• DSCF0374.JPG
    DSCF0374.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 318
Reactions: OOO
In northern Michigan we have a few that hunt near us. They have showed a little interest in my drone and I try to leave the area as quickly as I can.
Great shot, He doesn't appear happy. Was he able to keep up as you departed in ATTI mode?
Eagles can achieve 30 mph using powerful wing-beats and even faster when diving after prey (stoop). Bald eagles can dive at up to 100 mph; golden eagles at up to 150 mph. By National Eagle Center. You are not going to outrun one.

Was flying a P4P near my home today when I had a too close encounter with a bald eagle. I have over 80 hours in flying Phantoms and a Mavic and never had a run in with any type of bird before.

I have spotted eagles flying near my father's cottage, but have no interest in disturbing wildlife, and always give them a wide birth.

I caught a flash coming from below and to my right and snapped a quick picture, put it in sport mode and accelerated out of the area, he chased me a long way and almost down to ground level. There is a wooded area nearby, and possibly a nest I was not aware of - another area to stay away from.

Here is the picture I took as I first saw the eagle coming. He obviously was not happy with the P4P.View attachment 98054
That is one awesome picture! Eagles and hawks will definitely attack drones, plenty of videos online to prove it. Friend of mine had his Mavic attacked when flying in Maryland and he managed to get away. Whenever you're about to be pounced on fly straight up full throttle. The birds get startled by this and they can't duplicate this maneuver. You can usually hi-tail it out of there before they recover.

Reactions: Nick Mendocino
Kind of like unwanted relatives.
Or internet trolls.
Great pic OP, and good job getting out of there...

That is one awesome picture! Eagles and hawks will definitely attack drones, plenty of videos online to prove it. Friend of mine had his Mavic attacked when flying in Maryland and he managed to get away. Whenever you're about to be pounced on fly straight up full throttle. The birds get startled by this and they can't duplicate this maneuver. You can usually hi-tail it out of there before they recover.
Thanks for the confirmation, I'd wondered if that would be the way to go. Zoom straight up a couple hundred feet and then head for home in sport mode.

Last edited:
Was flying a P4P near my home today when I had a too close encounter with a bald eagle. I have over 80 hours in flying Phantoms and a Mavic and never had a run in with any type of bird before.

I have spotted eagles flying near my father's cottage, but have no interest in disturbing wildlife, and always give them a wide birth.

I caught a flash coming from below and to my right and snapped a quick picture, put it in sport mode and accelerated out of the area, he chased me a long way and almost down to ground level. There is a wooded area nearby, and possibly a nest I was not aware of - another area to stay away from.

Here is the picture I took as I first saw the eagle coming. He obviously was not happy with the P4P.View attachment 98054
Great shot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic