GPS PLUG CONNECTION FIX

msinger said:
Whoever tests this should also make sure the bottom S1 switch position is set to manual (and not fail safe). That will at least reproduce flyNfrank's settings.
Are you sure about that? Frank, what did you have the bottom position of S1 set to in the assistant?

I don't have a great deal of confidence with the theory either, but it's a theory. Keep in mind, to put it into Calibration Mode the ridiculous switch sequence is GPS/ATTI/FAILSAFE/ATTI/GPS/ATTI/FAILSAFE/ATTI/GPS/ATTI/FAILSAFE/ATTI/GPS/ATTI/FAILSAFE/ATTI/GPS/ATTI/FAILSAFE/ATTI/GPS done very quickly. Who knows what other switch sequences do???

It doesn't work that way fellas.

The GPS connector/data is fed to an I/O port on the imbedded processor (on main PCB) which in turn prepares the data to send to the Naxa via the 'EXP' port.
Intermittent data from the GPS board will have no effect on selecting Flight Modes.

Flight modes are set via the control receiver (S-bus, D-bus) which has it's own discrete connection to the Naza.

N017RW said:
It doesn't work that way fellas.

The GPS connector/data is fed to an I/O port on the imbedded processor (on main PCB) which in turn prepares the data to send to the Naxa via the 'EXP' port.
Intermittent data from the GPS board will have no effect on selecting Flight Modes.

Flight modes are set via the control receiver (S-bus, D-bus) which has it's own discrete connection to the Naza.

That's all very technical and all but how can you say that GPS data doesn't affect mode? If I lose GPS data altogether the mode will most definitely switch to atti. No matter where in the trail of electronics that happens. How do you know there is not some easter egg in the firmware that selects manual mode when you rapidly toggle gps and atti? Just sayin its possible. Not probable.

I'd much rather discuss it technically to see if something can be learned, confirmed, or eliminated so as to find the root cause.
There are others out 'here' who know much more than me and may wish to participate.

Chasing or resigning to 'easter eggs' and other hypotheticals is just a creative exercise.

Just going to add this one reminder to the equation and to the testing of theory. Which is really a more likely event to drop birds in flight.

In Naza mode, CSC command can be any combination of stick orientation.

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phantom_2-Flight

Further, static could play a part in the failure. Cold dry weather will play havoc on electronics... Wool test?

Attachments

• static-electricity.png
    static-electricity.png
    450.4 KB · Views: 527
Recently I was only getting my first set of 10 Flashing Greens and never get my second set. Kept getting 3 flahing Reds between my Green.

I tried calibration, compass dances, never worked. Irocically what I was doing was pulling the battery out (while it was on) and pushing it back into the phantom. This sometimes would get me my second set of flashing greens and no red flashing (meaning good gps lock).

But what was actually happening was, by me slamming the battery back it, it would jolt the GPS cable to a good position.

I just opened my shell and put a piece of black tape around the GPS plug and pushed it into the GPS socket. Put cover back on, and fired it up (outside).

2 Sets of 10 Green Flashes within 1 minute.

Definitely something I need to keep my eye on. It most likely was the cause of my last crash a few weeks ago, where my P2 just went out of control.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhJ1Ujqp72k[/youtube]

The P2V+ is supposed to go into ATTI mode if the GPS drops below minimum sats, but has anyone confirmed that it can in fact go into ATTI without the GPS cable connected? According to a recent thread, the bird can't even start up without the GPS cable being connected, so maybe the bird brain needs to see a constant data stream from the GPS cable in order for it to be drop or be placed into ATTI mode. That might explain the zero sticks response in these cases. Just a thought.

MapMaker53 said:
The P2V+ is supposed to go into ATTI mode if the GPS drops below minimum sats, but has anyone confirmed that it can in fact go into ATTI without the GPS cable connected? According to a recent thread, the bird can't even start up without the GPS cable being connected, so maybe the bird brain needs to see a constant data stream from the GPS cable in order for it to be drop or be placed into ATTI mode. That might explain the zero sticks response in these cases. Just a thought.

Go back a few pages and read

max said:
Go back a few pages and read

Thanks. Didn't realize I had missed the test results. I guess it can't be a loose/disconnected GPS plug alone that causes the crash. On two of the recently posted crashes, you can see the prop arms being forced down into view, which might indicate some really strong wind gusts quickly taking it away.

Well, if you're pretty convinced it was the loose GPS cable, could be that a rapid GPS on/off/on/off/on/off type signal does mess up the little bird brain and it just doesn't know what to make of it.

I can't say for sure, but I was just away with my phantom and did not fly because I was not getting a good gps signal, once back home, I opend the shell and secured the cable to the plug and my gps signal was then fine

I do not. But I do know this has been a problem since the P1 because when I added Flytrex, I was also amazed at the lack of a lock for the plug and that it just can slide in and out. I can't understand how this would NOT be the cause of MANY flyaways / crashes.

One of the fixes to keep the GPS plug tight is to jam a piece of card broad or a piece of a plastic Tie wrap cut to length and jam between the male and female plug to make it secure. Has worked good for a year now. Can still remove the shell and plug with no hassle. I jut put it back and secure it again. Free insurance to be sure my GPS plug doesn't come loose and loose signal and worse.. A fly a way.

One of the fixes to keep the GPS plug tight is to jam a piece of card broad or a piece of a plastic Tie wrap cut to length and jam between the male and female plug to make it secure. Has worked good for a year now. Can still remove the shell and plug with no hassle. I jut put it back and secure it again. Free insurance to be sure my GPS plug doesn't come loose and loose signal and worse.. A fly a way.
How about a few drop of hot glue?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers