GPS PLUG CONNECTION FIX

justin00 said:
Instead of us guessing.. why dont we test... I have done the simple test....advise others to do the same so we can compare if results same.

Take props off.. take lid/top shell off but leave gps cable connected.. but in such a way the turning motors wont touch shell.. so hang it over side.. if you get what I mean.. anyways.. startup as normal.. i.e gets your satts... start motors.. pull out cable and see what mode it goes into. No more guessing :)

The results of my test on a P2V+ v3:

With a calibrated compass, 7 sats, props off, and motors with a bit of forward thrust I disconnected GPS cable.
Motors did not stop or slow down perceptibly or make any change in how they sound.
GPS mode changed to ATTI mode.

Switching to ATTI should not make Phantoms fall from the sky. It seems those test results disprove the whole GPS plug theory. No?

Brent10 said:
flyNfrank said:
What kind of damage did the quad receive?

Bent a leg, popped out compass PCB, and bent gimbal at a steep angle. All motors spin up and everything seems functional except poor gimbal.
The missing prop that came off in flight was found today 60' away from crash site in melting snow. Prop is undamaged, threads look good, no crack or split, and it spins back onto motor just fine.

That sounds like the motor of the missing prop, stopped running. Or they all stopped and that one just happened to be loose enough to spin off?

msinger said:
Switching to ATTI should not make Phantoms fall from the sky. It seems those test results disprove the whole GPS plug theory. No?

How long ago since you read the OP? I'm not saying you haven't read it, but I have seen so...so many people posting in this thread knowing there was noway they read post #1 here.

flyNfrank said:
msinger said:

How long ago since you read the OP? I'm not saying you haven't read it, but I have seen so...so many people posting in this thread knowing there was noway they read post #1 here.
It's been since about December 7th :cool:

You said your quad was "descending up to 22mph" and thought it was due to a loose GPS plug. I apologize if I jumped to a conclusion there, but it seems it was falling from the sky since it's impossible for it to descend that quickly in GPS/ATTI mode.

Brent10's test shows the quad goes into ATTI mode when the GPS plug is not connected. I've never heard of a quad in ATTI descending at that rate of speed.

msinger said:

When was it ever proven to begin with? :cool:

N017RW said:
msinger said:

When was it ever proven to begin with? :cool:
Exactly. That's why I said it was a theory :cool:

Not to be pedantic but a theory typically describes a well-confirmed type of explanation of nature, made in a way consistent with scientific method.

This exercise is based on a hypothesis. ;)

It's all good!

I think the general consensus now is that loss of GPS signal when already flying and in GPS mode with >= 6 sats results in ATTI mode. This is not a revelation. This is normal behavior. I think the securing of the plug only results in keeping the available sats locked in. I have secured my plug with a piece of wire tie as preventative maintenance. Even tho I have never had all sats dropping out unexpectedly ever. These diving Phantoms and other unexplained flyaways have nothing to do with some mode change IMO. If a Phantom is flying in GPS mode and sats drop to where it goes to ATTI and it then shoots away because of wind, that is not a flyaway. That is expected behavior.

I think this is put to rest with the latest test in the above posts. When the plug comes loose and the sats drop out, ATTI mode is the result. Expected behavior.

BlackTracer said:
I think the general consensus now is that loss of GPS signal when already flying and in GPS mode with >= 6 sats results in ATTI mode. This is not a revelation. This is normal behavior. I think the securing of the plug only results in keeping the available sats locked in. I have secured my plug with a piece of wire tie as preventative maintenance. Even tho I have never had all sats dropping out unexpectedly ever. These diving Phantoms and other unexplained flyaways have nothing to do with some mode change IMO. If a Phantom is flying in GPS mode and sats drop to where it goes to ATTI and it then shoots away because of wind, that is not a flyaway. That is expected behavior.

I think this is put to rest with the latest test in the above posts. When the plug comes loose and the sats drop out, ATTI mode is the result. Expected behavior.

I agree - this horse is dead in my eyes. Now that this "GPS connection item" is quantified (if risk and results) and this has been ruled out as a contributor for the falling phantoms are we back to the original hypothesis of battery, motor and ESC issues?

N017RW said:
Not to be pedantic but a theory typically describes a well-confirmed type of explanation of nature, made in a way consistent with scientific method.

This exercise is based on a hypothesis. ;)

It's all good!
The dictionary says a "theory" is "an idea that is suggested or presented as possibly true but that is not known or proven to be true".

And, I'll stop being pedantic now too ;)

mad in nc said:
BlackTracer said:

I agree - this horse is dead in my eyes. Now that this "GPS connection item" is quantified (if risk and results) and this has been ruled out as a contributor for the falling phantoms are we back to the original hypothesis of battery, motor and ESC issues?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but all of these latest diving Phantoms are +V3s. Having said that, what are the major HW/FW diffs of the V3? Motors and ESCs. I think a motor or ESC issue is a good bet. HW in the case of the motors (solid wire problems anyone?) and FW in the case of the ESCs, and even FW incompatibilities between the ESCs and the FC (dare I say). How I love beating a dead horse as long as PETA isn't watching.

msinger said:

You said your quad was "descending up to 22mph" and thought it was due to a loose GPS plug. I apologize if I jumped to a conclusion there, but it seems it was falling from the sky since it's impossible for it to descend that quickly in GPS/ATTI mode.

Brent10's test shows the quad goes into ATTI mode when the GPS plug is not connected. I've never heard of a quad in ATTI descending at that rate of speed.

I figured it may have been awhile. Like I mentioned I have seen this thread spin so many ways.

Other then actually finding the location of the problem itself, here is the most over looked sentence I wrote:

"I didn't say, but at the time I actually thought my quad was slipping into manual mode on it's own and stay until I switched S1 from atti and back to gps mode."

Notice I was in ATTI mode when this took place.

flyNfrank said:
"I didn't say, but at the time I actually thought my quad was slipping into manual mode on it's own and stay until I switched S1 from atti and back to gps mode."

Notice I was in ATTI mode when this took place.
And, you still feel it has something to do with the GPS plug falling out and/or temporarily disconnecting?

msinger said:
flyNfrank said:
msinger said:

This reminded me of an old post where Frank said he descended at a very high rate of speed. It turned out the quad was simply moving laterally at a high rate of speed, while also descending (at some unknown rate). See this post:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=27422

Maybe, Frank can you clarify if you do actually mean moving vertically at 22mph, and if so how you got this speed measurement?

Okay... so here's a thought. What if a combination of switch throws confuses the controller and puts it into Manual Mode. Much like toggling S1 five times to put it into Calibration Mode, a loose GPS plug could be rapidly toggling GPS/ATTI/GPS/ATTI/GPS/ATTI... etc. Maybe the controller uses manual mode as a backup if it detects a problem holding GPS and ATTI modes. That theory could easily be tested using the S1 switch while in the air, but I'm not volunteering for that. LOL.

MapMaker53, that should be easily testable with the props off and motors turned on.

MapMaker53 said:
Okay... so here's a thought. What if a combination of switch throws confuses the controller and puts it into Manual Mode. Much like toggling S1 five times to put it into Calibration Mode, a loose GPS plug could be rapidly toggling GPS/ATTI/GPS/ATTI/GPS/ATTI... etc. Maybe the controller uses manual mode as a backup if it detects a problem holding GPS and ATTI modes. That theory could easily be tested using the S1 switch while in the air, but I'm not volunteering for that. LOL.

Yes pleeeeeeeaaaaase test this. I would but can't for a few days. In manual mode the rear LEDs are off btw.

Whoever tests this should also make sure the bottom S1 switch position is set to manual (and not fail safe). That will at least reproduce flyNfrank's settings.

This would even explain the mysterious return to normal if you select GPS mode. Something like if it auto switched to manual then the plug was no longer flipping back and forth, switching from s1 middle to top would reselect gps mode and all would be right with the world again.

I have very little confidence in this one though.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20