GPS needed at TX? new to "3" pro

Reaction score
I'm a old heli RC polot - and had a PV2+ (sold due to lag - lack of light bridge), lack of follow me and decent waypoint automation... and recently acquired a 3 pro.

I'm I shoot catamarans over water (racing) and did some with the V2+ but the lag scared me. (didn't want to hit a boat or sail). Also lacked the features I wanted which I can now do with autopilot app.

So the question... I found my 5c phone and ipad3 do not work. (the 3 works POORLY and slow with Litchi) so I ordered a ipad mini 2 (no gps) after reading reviews. It will be drone only really. Should I have got one with cell? I don't want data plan on it - but I read that the GPS works without a data plan. I then asked around and was told no I need a data plan for GPS. (but I think that's wrong).

I figured I can add blue tooth GPS (that red puck 150/a I think it's called). I wanted to ask how important is GPS at the TX? I know I can fly without it... but I will often be controlling on a moving chase boat. So home will need to be changed... updated as the TX on a boat moves. Also for "follow me" of the TX wouldn't it need GPS? do I stick with the mini and add blue tooth gps? or should I return it for exchange of a mini with cell option (but not get a data plan?) I wanted a larger screen than my phone. But My ipad3 was quite heavy on my old V2+. The mini seemed like a good compromise - but wondering about GPS necessity and in what instance? I will be using it for complex flight modes, waypoints, follow me's etc. I checked the WIKI cool! I learned about light bridge) but didn't find anything on GPS at the TX/home point.

I'm a old heli RC polot - and had a PV2+ (sold due to lag - lack of light bridge), lack of follow me and decent waypoint automation... and recently acquired a 3 pro.

I'm I shoot catamarans over water (racing) and did some with the V2+ but the lag scared me. (didn't want to hit a boat or sail). Also lacked the features I wanted which I can now do with autopilot app.

So the question... I found my 5c phone and ipad3 do not work. (the 3 works POORLY and slow with Litchi) so I ordered a ipad mini 2 (no gps) after reading reviews. It will be drone only really. Should I have got one with cell? I don't want data plan on it - but I read that the GPS works without a data plan. I then asked around and was told no I need a data plan for GPS. (but I think that's wrong).

I figured I can add blue tooth GPS (that red puck 150/a I think it's called). I wanted to ask how important is GPS at the TX? I know I can fly without it... but I will often be controlling on a moving chase boat. So home will need to be changed... updated as the TX on a boat moves. Also for "follow me" of the TX wouldn't it need GPS? do I stick with the mini and add blue tooth gps? or should I return it for exchange of a mini with cell option (but not get a data plan?) I wanted a larger screen than my phone. But My ipad3 was quite heavy on my old V2+. The mini seemed like a good compromise - but wondering about GPS necessity and in what instance? I will be using it for complex flight modes, waypoints, follow me's etc. I checked the WIKI cool! I learned about light bridge) but didn't find anything on GPS at the TX/home point.
Check out this post. It might help with your research.

Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

I then asked around and was told no I need a data plan for GPS.
A data plan is not needed.

I figured I can add blue tooth GPS (that red puck 150/a I think it's called).
Yes, this will work. Some commonly used GPS receivers are the Garmin GLO (GPS & GLONASS), Bad Elf (GPS only), Dual XGPS150A (GPS only), and Dual XGPS160 (GPS & GLONASS).

I wanted to ask how important is GPS at the TX?
Currently, it's only important if you want to reset the home point to your current location after takeoff or if you want to use the Follow Me feature.

thanks to all. I don't see a ipad mini-2 with cell... so I ordered without. Figured I could add on. I do want to do follow me for sure as well as moving home point since I'll often be on a boat and will be far from initial take off point. I read reviews about the 150 and 160 and it seems worth it to have GLONASS too - but the reviews said it took so long to lock on and that they recommended the 150 at 1/2 the price of the 160. though it seemed many of the reviewers were jet pilots and I thought it was weird that the jet didn't have gps positioning in the instrumentation? At any rate - whats the favored gps add on? The Bad Elf I think is out - because it's a lightning connector. (uses the spot that we'd connect to the tx) unless there is a lightning TRHOUGH connection on it I didn't see in the features. I'll look into the garmin. (I have one for my bike riding). would be cool if that could interface but doubt it.

Since I won't have the mini-2 until Friday - I tried a mini-1 of a friends today it worked but the video seemed REAL LAGGY... the 2 will be a better processor... is there also a problem/lag because we were to close? 15-20 ft?) and or indoors? I imagine that there is a bit rate setting too - but I didn't see it on my initial use of the GO app.

At any rate - whats the favored gps add on? The Bad Elf I think is out - because it's a lightning connector. (uses the spot that we'd connect to the tx) unless there is a lightning TRHOUGH connection on it I didn't see in the features.
Hi Ron. In the threads pertaining to external GPS, I don't recall anyone saying they use a wired solution. As far as I know everyone who uses one uses a bluetooth device.

I just bought the Ipad mini 4 wifi and then ordered the GARMIN GLO ($99) add on blue tooth GPS. I'm a dyed in the wool Garmin fan. I used to sell GPS equipment and EVERYTHING pales by comparison. Yesterday I took my GLO and Ipad Mini 4 for a ride in the car. The GLO actually tracked my movements inside my house as I walked by my south facing windows. In the car it was showing movement of as little as a couple feet when I was stuck in traffic. Very impressed

I was using Google Maps and the Maps program that came on the Ipad. Both worked great

Now I'm trying to find an app that gives me actual GPS coordinates so I can use this setup for other things rather than street navigation and my P3A reference points.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers