GPS Module - Large Antenna (4mm)

Reaction score
This is a basic comparision of the stock GPS ceramic antenna to a larger 4mm antenna. I have read several post about this antenna but never seen any results.

I ordered three of the Taoglas GP.1575.25.4.A.02 from Digikey.com, it looks to be -3.5 db. Also I ordered a new GPS module to ensure a good comparison (ouch $175)!

The installation of the new stock GPS module is just plug and play. In the kitchen of my house I would receive a solid six satellites on average of 80 seconds. Outside I would receive between seven and nine satellites on the ground, it would jump back and forth. Typically flying outside around my house I have see between ten to twelve.

Then I took an old GPS module I had and removed the stock ceramic antenna and soldered in the Taoglas. Installation into the phantom shell requires trimming down some of the high ridges in the case. In the kitchen of my house I quickly received six satellites on average of 45 seconds. Outside on the ground it quickly locked in eight satellites then after minute nine.

The two things I noticed most was the Taoglas locked in quicker and it didn't jump back in forth outside.

15901769356_007a32200a_z.jpg

15901531276_3196e2bcf3_z.jpg

15740037910_db0b0f57b7_z.jpg

Hmm interesting... and only like $6 yeah ?
Any pics of the bits you need to solder ?? Just want to see if its a job i'd be able to do.. I can do basic soldering... provided the area is large enough to work in.. e.g I can't solder in joints if they are like a couple of mm apart :(

I had a look at the data sheet.. looks like might only need to solder the antenna connector ??
http://www.taoglas.com/images/product_i ... 190410.pdf

Is the stock antenna held in with just adhesive + solder on the antenna connector ? I can see the toaglas has adhesive to.

Thanks =)

Just ordered one. Should be about $7 shipped.

(Does anyone know how to bookmark/subscribe to threads? I don't see the provisions for it as commonly seen on other forums) Read the forum FAQ and its the general directions like other forums)

Wow, ordered it on Sunday and it has arrived! Only went from from North Dakota to Colorado, I like quick shipping! Plan to do some comparison tests, to see the imrpovements.

WOW I must do this to mine, Sometimes I cant get more than 4 - 5 sats in my yard until I raise it up about 60 feet. then I only get about 6-7 and then it flies fine. Untill I bring it down then I lose satts again...

I will order this from digi key Thanks guys for this great info .. and its only a few bucks!!!

Lol I was going to come on saying how quick and easy the install was.... but i'm getting 0 sats lol...
Either the antenna is damaged or the cable has come lose or something... put the lid on/off 1000 times and cable has never come loose.. soo... anyways will take it all apart again and inspect it all...

its literally 1 solder, which went very well so not sure whats gone wrong :(

Ordered a few antenna's so will try anothr.

cant believe something is scrrwed
like its literally 1 solder.... can't believe this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
done mods 10000000000000x harder and no problems.. and now this simple one... ive screwed the gps module..

Can someone who has done this mod please tell me... should the top of the phantom be heating up ?
Like should the new antennta make things hear up quite dramatically ??

Well mine never did before or after the mod so best answer would be NO. Something must have gone wrong with your mod.

I've mentioned this before, but it is worth noting again:
Satellites are moving, and the earth is rotating. The number of satellites available to you at any one time changes! Every day! Almost every hour!
If you detect 8 satellites now, perform an antenna swap (or other mod) and check satellites again, the number of available birds probably changed since your first check.
Before flying, or checking GPS performance, look at: Location Lookup

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20