GPS maps worked on my phone but not Nvidia Shield tablet?

Reaction score
Recently upgraded from using my phone for flights to an Nvidia Shield tablet. One of the things I really enjoy is toggling back and forth from the satellite imagery to the camera view. On my phone the satellite imagery was great, perfect view of google maps. For some reason the imagery on the tablet is not there...I have the gps turned on and I have the pointer showing up but all the imagery and details are not there...only grid lines. Any idea why this is happening? When I'm outside of the go app the imagery is perfect and just as it should be on the maps, just doesn't work on the go app like my phone did....is this a common issue?

Recently upgraded from using my phone for flights to an Nvidia Shield tablet. One of the things I really enjoy is toggling back and forth from the satellite imagery to the camera view. On my phone the satellite imagery was great, perfect view of google maps. For some reason the imagery on the tablet is not there...I have the gps turned on and I have the pointer showing up but all the imagery and details are not there...only grid lines. Any idea why this is happening? When I'm outside of the go app the imagery is perfect and just as it should be on the maps, just doesn't work on the go app like my phone did....is this a common issue?
The maps have to come from somewhere - your internet connection.
Open your DJI Go app at home on the tablet.
make sure that you have wifi connection to the internet.
Go to the camera view and click on the map view.
You should see maps.
Find the flying area you are interested in and scroll around at the detail level you want.
That's it.
You've now cached map images so they should appear next time you fly there.

Reactions: Opfor
Oh wow...makes perfect sense. Never considered that the phone was using internet to provide the images while this tablet needs a wifi source, didn't have one and thus the blank page. Thanks for the fast, spot on answer sir!

The maps have to come from somewhere - your internet connection.
Open your DJI Go app at home on the tablet.
make sure that you have wifi connection to the internet.
Go to the camera view and click on the map view.
You should see maps.
Find the flying area you are interested in and scroll around at the detail level you want.
That's it.
You've now cached map images so they should appear next time you fly there.

I fully understand your answer but why is it that my Galaxy Tab A shows maps in the flight logs without an internet connection?
It doesn't show them when flying - only in the logs afterwards again without internet.

I fully understand your answer but why is it that my Galaxy Tab A shows maps in the flight logs without an internet connection?
It doesn't show them when flying - only in the logs afterwards again without internet.
The maps aren't in your tablet or the app.
They have to be brought in from Google Maps by the app.
The only way it can show maps without a connection, is to have them cached already.

The maps aren't in your tablet or the app.
They have to be brought in from Google Maps by the app.
The only way it can show maps without a connection, is to have them cached already.

Thats why I don't understand having maps without a connection?
I deliberately don't connect to the net cause I don't want the app to update

Thats why I don't understand having maps without a connection?
I deliberately don't connect to the net cause I don't want the app to update
If you have maps, you've had a connection sometime.
There's no other way for the maps to get into the app.
If you don't want a surprise update, go into your Android Play Store settings for the tablet and disable auto updates.
Instructions here: Update downloaded apps - Google Play Help

Reactions: Phill2
If you have maps, you've had a connection sometime.
There's no other way for the maps to get into the app.
If you don't want a surprise update, go into your Android Play Store settings for the tablet and disable auto updates.
Instructions here: Update downloaded apps - Google Play Help
Thanks for that.
The procedure was slightly different but it worked

Ok, next question. I went out of town this weekend but before I did I opened up the maps on the tablet via the app that comes on it....google maps I guess it is. I cached in the maps of where we were going and once there I checked them and did in fact see they were there via the google app. Prior to flying the copter I launched the go app and I looked in the corner where the gps was and once again the maps were NOT there. So in order to make this work correctly do you actually have to spool up the copter, launch the go app and them cache the maps in this way....thru the GO APP??

Thanks for the heads up. Will look for it but if anyone knows exactly where to find this setting please let me know.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj