GPS map downloading to tablet??

Reaction score
At the moment I'm planning on purchasing the Google Nexus 9 for my P3S. Since it(tablet) will have WiFi connectivity only, but my drone has a GPS receiver, do I have to download maps from Google Maps or is their another APP to use? Or is there some other process I must do? Do I just use Google Maps when I go to wherever I'm going to fly and download at that time? Any direction you guys/gals can give me would be much appreciated. How many gigs of storage would I need to be able to do what I need to do (16, 32, 64, or 128). Tablet will only have the DJI and Map apps. because it will just be for drone(s) flying, pics, and videos. Thanx in advance. H.P.:confused:

At the moment I'm planning on purchasing the Google Nexus 9 for my P3S. Since it(tablet) will have WiFi connectivity only, but my drone has a GPS receiver, do I have to download maps from Google Maps or is their another APP to use?
You don't need another app. You just very simply, while connected to the internet, zoom in and out on the area you intend to fly. Then turn off the Wi-fi....that is important. This will cache the maps to your device. When you are at the area you wish to fly those maps will be available. Do not turn the Wi-Fi back on after you do this. There is no download. It is temporary cache.

You don't need another app. You just very simply, while connected to the internet, zoom in and out on the area you intend to fly. Then turn off the Wi-fi....that is important. This will cache the maps to your device. When you are at the area you wish to fly those maps will be available. Do not turn the Wi-Fi back on after you do this. There is no download. It is temporary cache.
I believe I understand this process, but why can't a person download a mapping app. and permanently save/store maps in the tablet/devise for future use? H.P.:confused:

I believe I understand this process, but why can't a person download a mapping app.
You can, but the app must also be your default flying app. I don't do mapping so can't answer for certain, but as I have seen there is no standalone, side load for DJI GO. If that is what you intend to fly with. There are many mapping apps out there but they are all stand alone and do not interface with GO. I stopped flying with GO a long time ago. And I might point out that some of these are not compatible with the P3S.

You can, but the app must also be your default flying app. I don't do mapping so can't answer for certain, but as I have seen there is no standalone, side load for DJI GO. If that is what you intend to fly with. There are many mapping apps out there but they are all stand alone and do not interface with GO. I stopped flying with GO a long time ago. And I might point out that some of these are not compatible with the P3S.
Thanks for the explanation. They just can't make it simple or cheap, can they? This ol'dog just has a problem with technology! H.P.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the explanation. They just can't make it simple or cheap, can they? This ol'dog just has a problem with technology! H.P.:rolleyes:
There was some confusion in this thread.
First, your Nexus 9 has GPS (like almost every Android tablet does).
2. DJI Go is the only app you need to display a map for flying and whether you have GPS in your tablet doesn't matter at all.
3. When Fly Dawg mentioned mapping apps, he was talking about apps used to fly and create maps, which is an entirely different topic.

There was some confusion in this thread.
First, your Nexus 9 has GPS (like almost every Android tablet does).
2. DJI Go is the only app you need to display a map for flying and whether you have GPS in your tablet doesn't matter at all.
3. When Fly Dawg mentioned mapping apps, he was talking about apps used to fly and create maps, which is an entirely different topic.
Thanks Meta4, I was reading the DJI website and was about to reach the same conclusion. H.P.:)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic