GPS and Home Point (Vision App)

Mako79 said:
Need to be careful on the rapid green flashes.
The phantom records 2 types, home lock and course direction lock. They will both rapidly flash green and one can occur before the other depending on GPS strength.

To be clear, you can set new home positions anywhere. A reset of home position is indicated by the distance changing to 0.0. In Naza mode in mid flight - left toggle, flick from top to mid x 5 (its tricky with firmware 3.06) and you will notice the distance changing to 0.0 - this will be the new home lock/return to home/POI.

If you flick from position mid to lower x 5, this will change the direction of the phantom for course lock. Which ever way its facing fwd will be the new forward direction in course lock.

I have never found the emphasized statement above to be true.

Forward direction, (for Course lock) always occurs first followed by home lock after 6 or more GPS sats. are acquired.

I have seen them occur back-to-back prompting me to re-start to confirm I did in fact see both.

Mako79 said:
If you flick from position mid to lower x 5, this will change the direction of the phantom for course lock. Which ever way its facing fwd will be the new forward direction in course lock.

Actually upper IOC to center sets course lock. Mid to lower sets homelock.

And N017RW, I cant say for sure as I dont know but it appears based on the above excerpt from NAZA manual would indicate course lock is timed and HL happens 10 seconds after its found 6 sats.

So it does seem possible HL could come before or after CL.

Attachments

• reset.jpg
    reset.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 309
rrmccabe said:
And N017RW, I cant say for sure as I dont know but it appears based on the above excerpt from NAZA manual would indicate course lock is timed and HL happens 10 seconds after its found 6 sats.

Course lock (CL) and home lock (HL) are flying "modes". Setting home position/location/point is not. If IOC is enabled, you can select HL or CL any time by switching S2.

AnselA said:
Course lock (CL) and home lock (HL) are flying "modes". Setting home position/location/point is not. If IOC is enabled, you can select HL or CL any time by switching S2.

Sorry but not sure what your point is here. We are talking about course lock and home lock being set at start (and when) and not anything to do with the actual "modes".

But I agree with your comments

rrmccabe said:
AnselA said:

Sorry but not sure what your point is here. We are talking about course lock and home lock being set at start (and when) and not anything to do with the actual "modes".

Course lock and home lock are not set at start.

rrmccabe said:
Mako79 said:

Fair enough. ;)

My info came from one of Simon's kitchen table videos.

AnselA said:
rrmccabe said:
AnselA said:

We are discussing when these points are set. Once again not the actual modes.

When the course lock direction is set and when the home lock position is set.

Maybe you are talking about choice of words for start as in actual motor start?

AnselA said:

Lets try this differently,

Course lock or Home lock function is activated by the S2 IOC selection switch

Course lock orientation is set / saved approx 30 seconds after the Phantom has been switched ON or after it has been manually reset via S2 IOC switch 5 time fast toggle between OFF and CL position

Home Point is set / saved after GPS has obtained 6+ Satellites or after it has been manually reset via S2 IOC switch 5 time fast toggle between CL and HL position

rrmccabe said:
AnselA said:

We are discussing when these points are set. Once again not the actual modes.

When the course lock direction is set and when the home lock position is set.

Maybe you are talking about choice of words for start as in actual motor start?

Do you understand the difference between "home point" and "home lock"?

Please read the following article, I hope you understand it better than I can explain

http://www.pattayadays.com/2014/03/naza ... -2-vision/

Yes I do understand the difference. But thanks for clarifying what you were referring to.

I agree you are actually setting home POINT which home lock will work from.

Thanks for the link. I read that when I first got started and was the best Naza description I could find although the author does not understand the benefits of course lock and because of that I avoided it for a long time.

But you are correct, home lock and home point are actually separate things.

rrmccabe said:
Mako79 said:

Sorry my bad.
You are correct. It was 2am and I forgot my switch orienteering.
It's been ages since I last used the resets. 3.06 has a bug and it takes about 10 attempts to reset either modes..
Can some others test theirs.

pb7424 said:
I don't think the motors have to be started to record the Home Point. This is from DJI info:

Home Point: When the Phantom enters ’Ready to Fly’ from the ‘Ready to Fly status (non-GPS)’, the GPS coordinates will be recorded and set as the home point.

NEVER start the motors until after you verify the home point is set. Even just idling, if you lose signal for some reason, it will go into RTH, jump to 20m then go to it's last recoded home point.

On my second flight, the provided AA batteries experienced a momentary failure and my transmitter power cycled. Scared the crap out of me when the Phantom took off and made its way to 60+ feet. Thankfully, I had ensured home lock prior to CSC.

Mako79 said:
3.06 has a bug and it takes about 10 attempts to reset either modes..
Can some others test theirs.

Yea I have had to fight that too. For some reason its been better though. But my S2 might be about wore out now :D

Michigan_PI said:
NEVER start the motors until after you verify the home point is set. Even just idling, if you lose signal for some reason, it will go into RTH, jump to 20m then go to it's last recoded home point.

Are you sure about that? I don't think it is capable of saving a home point after a power cycle.

It will keep the last home point saved. I frequently fly in 2 places near my house. In a common area about 100yds away and in my driveway. When in my driveway, it takes a while to get a GPS fix and I can see on the radar screen (lower left on the app), the last home point.
Try it yourself. Power up in the house where it will take a while to get a GPS fix and look at your radar screen. You'll see what I'm talking about. But then again, maybe it's just the app showing the last point it had registered. Maybe the Phantom resets to China. That would explain many of the fly-aways!!

Michigan_PI said:
Maybe the Phantom resets to China. That would explain many of the fly-aways!!

LOL. I really don't know but I did not think it will save home point. I thought the bird just shows off screen until home is set.

I will try to test it too.

rrmccabe said:
Why we are talking about this does anybody know but the distance has before you can reset home lock. As an example I'm pretty sure that you cannot reset homewok 500 feet away. I tried it once by mistake and then came to my senses on what can happen lol
Okay found time to test. Started Phantom let course lock and home point set before heading straight out ATTI to 500 meters. Flipped to GPS to hover flipping S2 5 times. IOSD registered O so new home point was set.

Flipped to ATTI ran out 500 meters more. Sat in GPS and flipped S2 5 times. Same results.

Then flew out another 500 meters. Sat in GPS flipping S2 5 more times. Same result new home point set.

Climbed to my height limit 120 meters, put in ATTI and flew straight back using fpv for geographical orientation coming home. Top speeds around 17.6 m/s. I'm still pissed reading guys hitting 70mph! But I had absolutely no wind to assist.

But learned another tidbit tonight. When bird was back I reset a new home point. Bare with me on this. I have been in a habit of flipping S2 from top clear to bottom to reset home point. Well that does two things at once! It resets home point and course lock! I found this out because I threw it into course lock and it was flying directionally based on bird orientation of my last reset, not as originally set. (Before some blasts me for not going from c/l to h/l 5 times, I know that works too, I just found it easier to achieve new home point by going complete top to bottom)

I'm sure glad I didn't lose orientation at 1500 meters away because my original backup plan out there was to flip to course lock and pull back since I could not rely RTH or H/L to get it home. My course lock would have been different than my original launch.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic