Government

Reaction score
Hi there, I live in the Netherlands, and i live in a no-fly zone.

My phantom 3 Standard doesnt fly any further than 30m en nog higher than 50m.
I always blamed it on the cellular tower in my town, but is there a chance that my government disturbs drone signals so that no one flies drones in no fly zones?

Oh I don't know. My only no fly zone is 20 miles away and I never flown near there.

Hi there, I live in the Netherlands, and i live in a no-fly zone.

My phantom 3 Standard doesnt fly any further than 30m and not higher than 50m.
I always blamed it on the cellular tower in my town, but is there a chance that my government disturbs drone signals so that no one flies drones in no fly zones?
What you describe is not due to any mobile phone towers and not direct government intervention.
If it was limited to 30 metres away and 30 metres upwards, that would be beginner mode which can be turned off in the app.
Is it always the same distances or are those numbers only approximate?

What you describe is not due to any mobile phone towers and not direct government intervention.
If it was limited to 30 metres away and 30 metres upwards, that would be beginner mode which can be turned off in the app.
Is it always the same distances or are those numbers only approximate?
They are approximate, sometimes 10 meters more, sometimes a bit less

They are approximate, sometimes 10 meters more, sometimes a bit less
Its not actually the drone that stops flying, its the video feed that cuts out.
If the drone flies further, but video signal doesn't, that sounds like a poor signal issue and the first thing to check is antenna orientation.
Do you have the antenna pointing upwards with the long side facing the Phantom?

If the drone flies further, but video signal doesn't, that sounds like a poor signal issue and the first thing to check is antenna orientation.
Do you have the antenna pointing upwards with the long side facing the Phantom?
Yep, definitly, with the dead zone pointed upwards. But i have the P3s, which means the feed comes through wifi. Cant the cellular tower interupt that,

Sent from my E6653 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yep, definitly, with the dead zone pointed upwards. But i have the P3s, which means the feed comes through wifi. Cant the cellular tower interupt that,
Cellular towers get blamed for many things they don't contribute to.
The simple way to check would be to try another location further away.

Cellular towers get blamed for many things they don't contribute to.
The simple way to check would be to try another location further away.
Thanks for your help, gonna try that on friday. I am also thinking about buying the mavic pro, would that be a good option or not?

No, DJI firmware stops your Phantom from flying in a no fly zone.
Ermm...no. I live in a no fly zone (2 prisons within 2km, and I still can take off from my home location. I don't though, as it's a no fly zone!)

My local airport makes my house a restricted zone with no fly close by.

The software in the Go App takes the GPS position and when it finds it touching or inside such zones - pops up warning that I have to accept as 'warned' ... I can still fly in the restricted. When I touched the No-Fly - the aircraft stopped ... warning came and I found my flying was limited ... in fact I went a few metres then turned away. My local airport is near unused now and I fly my other models of the runway by agreement with airport management.

The OP appears to have beginner mode or limits set in the Go app ....

My local airport makes my house a restricted zone with no fly close by.

The software in the Go App takes the GPS position and when it finds it touching or inside such zones - pops up warning that I have to accept as 'warned' ... I can still fly in the restricted. When I touched the No-Fly - the aircraft stopped ... warning came and I found my flying was limited ... in fact I went a few metres then turned away. My local airport is near unused now and I fly my other models of the runway by agreement with airport management.

The OP appears to have beginner mode or limits set in the Go app ....
What explains this then?
a73556a5f4ab69942df035e931f7f0d3.jpg

Each time i loose connection it saves it as a full flight

I had a ph3 s and could get around 2,500 to 3,000 ft away at 350 ft altitude. Before I lost signal. Sounds like beginner mode. The app wouldn't let me fly by the airport. But a mile away it just warned me no fly close

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Beginner Mode - per the manual - keeps the AC within a 30m radius from the Home Point. I strongly doubt that it would do that by cutting the video feed, which is what you're experiencing (see post #6).
I have both a distance and altitude limit on my P3S, and when I reach either one, the AC just slows down and stops, while the app gives me a warning. I never lose video in the process.
As someone said, go fly in a remote area, make sure there is nothing obstructing the WiFi (hidden) antennas on the RC, and see what happens: if you still lose video feed at short distance (50-100m), then I'd say you have a problem, and I would contact DJI.
Other things you can try: re-link the RC to the AC (page 24 of the Manual), reset the WiFi (page 26), make sure you have the latest firmware, and - just in case - disable Beginner Mode (if it's enabled).

Last edited:
I had 3 P standards and the range was bad on all of them, there weren't in beginner mode or anything contacted DJI told me to recalibrate everything , the Imu , the tx, ....still the same , I sent them all back and now use a P4 which is ten times better, what I didn't try back then was put the phone in airplane mode this cuts the cellular data and wifi while flying, it helps with P4 as get less or no screen roll and fly mostly with VR goggles now, I hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

[...] put the phone in airplane mode this cuts the cellular data and wifi while flying

Good point. Just to be clear, with the P3S you can put the phone/tablet in airplane mode but you have to manually enable WiFi, as that's the way it connects to the RC/AC.

I had 3 P standards and the range was bad on all of them, there weren't in beginner mode or anything contacted DJI told me to recalibrate everything , the Imu , the tx, ....still the same , I sent them all back and now use a P4 which is ten times better, what I didn't try back then was put the phone in airplane mode this cuts the cellular data and wifi while flying, it helps with P4 as get less or no screen roll and fly mostly with VR goggles now, I hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Same, got 2 new DJI P3S. both didn't work. Gonna send it back and buy a mavic pro

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20