Gotta see this, Epic drone recovery from 170 foot tall cross!!

Reaction score
We did it, first attempt was an adrenaline rush like crazy. Hope you enjoy. Us phantom guys saving the quad racers lol.

Cool. Curious why you launched from so far away.

Couldn't get closer with everything else closed off to us. That was the best location we could get. There is huge power lines that run around the cross in an L shape, so only from the back side of the cross could we be in a location where we didn't have to fly anywhere near those powerlines and the path kept us clear of people, roads, etc. We had other birds in the air watching the ground.

That is cool...

Also curious why you launched from so far, but also that the return flight was over the pond! LOL!

Great recovery. How did the victim get stranded up there?

That is cool...

Also curious why you launched from so far, but also that the return flight was over the pond! LOL!

There are those HUGE powerlines that run in an L shape around the cross' location. So going in from the rear side of the cross gave us the best path to and from and we had other birds in the air watching the ground. The path back there just gave us a clean way back over no roads, people, etc since the rest of it was closed off. Yea I was like "hang in there little fella" hahah

Reactions: Clinton
That is cool...

He tried to land on it. lol
This cross is 170 tall to the top. It's massive

Great job, neat video, you gotta love happy endings.

That quad was up there for 3 months. Crazy part is, switched out the battery, and the dang thing works 100%. VTX, Camera, motors, esc's, FC, everything. lol

There are those HUGE powerlines that run in an L shape around the cross' location. So going in from the rear side of the cross gave us the best path to and from and we had other birds in the air watching the ground. The path back there just gave us a clean way back over no roads, people, etc since the rest of it was closed off. Yea I was like "hang in there little fella" hahah

That's cool. Interesting use of the hanger, and once it was trapped onto it, it's unlikely it would have found a way to come off, so sure, why not go over the water?! Glad it worked!

Excellent piloting skills and video. Steady hand on the controls and a great recovery. Never would have thought to use a coat hanger though. You made it look easy, even with the nuclear pucker factor going on. [emoji12]

Great job! Thanks for sharing! [emoji106]

Haha! Thanks, pucker factor 100% for sure. Yea, the hanger just isn't something you think about, but one day I was playing with one around my racequads, and found that it's quite easy to grab one with it. Thought, man that's a great way to recover things. Works for small quads to picking up a phantom size bird. and the way the weight pulls it down to the corner of the hanger locks it in. If you can get around one prop, and hook on to the motor, there is no way it's coming off.

I used 12 gauge speaker wire so it'd have some weight to it. Seems to work, in a hover it's pretty dang stable compared to the ropes and string others have tried.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
But I still gotta know........why did he leave it up there?.........and for three months!......geez!

[emoji33]

For some reason, he didn't tell my group on facebook about it. One of our guys found it randomly while flying, and he was like "Oh yea, I crashed up there" lol So we got it back to him. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj