GoPro Hero 3 Black video and pic quality vs Phantom 2 Vision

Re: GoPro mounting under Vision - does this work?

Has anyone out already tested to mount a gopro under the normal vision cam?
If thus would work it would be perfect, you could have fun flying the normal vision, but if high quality of video is recquired you fly with the vision cam for orientation and take the video with th gopro.
But I don't know if it works.
Anyone already tested?
Tipps for mounting?

Thanks Andreas

Re: GoPro Hero 3 Black video and pic quality vs Phantom 2 Vi

Why is this even a debate. I am no fanboy but the Hero easily trumps the vision. The numbers and my eyes tell me so. Not even a question. The Vision has the connectivity out of the box....that's pretty much it.
Some people need to justify to themselves and others that they didn't pick the inferior product. Same as the Ford Chevy and the God be Damned Dodge/Ram or whatever they feel the need to call it nowadays. :lol:

Brand Loyalty opinions do nothing for anybody but the person with the opinion who doesn't want to see anything better than what he has. It is pathetic but that is human nature.

Saying that, I have both and the Hero has it. Its not even a preference thing.
So there, case solved.....
Now go fly and have fun

Nvr2fst said:
Now go fly and have fun

I have the Phantom 2 Vision. It is my first flying device. I considered the GoPro version, as it provides much more overall versatility for ground level movie making.

However, for me, I was concerned about overly complicating my life during the P2 "learning phase". I'm going to learn to fly the P2V really well and get some nice video clips in the interim. Then, later in the future, I will probably take the jump and get a P3 and a GoPro4. It's all good.

babylonboots said:
Nvr2fst said:
Now go fly and have fun

I have the Phantom 2 Vision. It is my first flying device. I considered the GoPro version, as it provides much more overall versatility for ground level movie making.

However, for me, I was concerned about overly complicating my life during the P2 "learning phase". I'm going to learn to fly the P2V really well and get some nice video clips in the interim. Then, later in the future, I will probably take the jump and get a P3 and a GoPro4. It's all good.

Now I like that. You are using logic for your choice. That is exactly what the Vision was designed for!
+1

Nvr2fst said:
Why is this even a debate. I am no fanboy but the Hero easily trumps the vision. The numbers and my eyes tell me so. Not even a question. The Vision has the connectivity out of the box....that's pretty much it.
Some people need to justify to themselves and others that they didn't pick the inferior product. Same as the Ford Chevy and the God be Damned Dodge/Ram or whatever they feel the need to call it nowadays. :lol:

Brand Loyalty opinions do nothing for anybody but the person with the opinion who doesn't want to see anything better than what he has. It is pathetic but that is human nature.

Now go fly and have fun

The reasons people will opt for a Vision vs other options is the out of the box simplicity. Though the reasons for asking the opinions of video quality from owners of both GoPro Hero 3 Black cameras and a Phantom 2 Vision is to access the viablity of adding a 2 axis gimbal to the Vision down the line or simply getting a Phantom 2 with Zenmuse Combo.

Head to head videos i've seen on youtube to me at least show there is very little improvement to the quality of Hero 3 Black footage versus the Phantom 2 Camera. I do understand though that there is loss of quality when sending video to youtube as from my own experience sending my Personal Phantom 2 Vision footage comparing my native footage versus how it looks on youtube. And my original file is somewhat sharper.

Also hearing the opinion of many people on here and other reviews also seem to show that at least compared to a Hero 2 or Hero 3 Silver there's really little if any difference or improvement on the Hero vs the Phantom Camera. And even a Hero 3 Black isn't a large step above the Phantom 2 Vision camera either. The biggest difference I've noticed at least from Youtube videos is night shots do come out better than the Visions Camera. I also think through firmware updates the quality of the Phantom 2 Visons camera can be further improved.

The bottom line is not that we're "debating" whether or not the GoPro Hero 3 Black or Hero 3+ Black is a better overall camera than the Phantom 2 Vision Camera, but just how much so. And how much of a difference do owners of both really see, and not just raw camera specs. This way one can make a more informed decision making their initial purchase, as well as decisions down the line should you want a more stabilized platform, to do this with the Vision or going with a more complicated Phantom 2 Setup with Custom FPV.

On a side note, I do like not having a 2axis Gimbal setup on the Phantom Vision, as watching the video while in FPV as well as the recorded video afterwards gives me more of a feeling of being on a flying machine versus just floating video.

Once again, I have the Hero 2 , 3 black and the Vision. I have loads of videos I have made since the first Phantom was released and my heli videos. After my first flight with the vision, I sat down and compared videos of all three. They all are good but the 3 easily was the best. One of the best ways I saw was when you turn the quad on its axis side to side. The vision camera could not keep up. It's frame rate is just too slow. The video just turns into a big mess. The GoPro was much smoother. Even the Hero 2. Although not by much . It seemed to have a fuller look at times. Best I can describe it. Besides neither of my Heros have blurry edges either.

An opinion was asked for so I gave mine. Bulk them together, tally them up, and make a decision. I've got all three and others. Will probably get the 4 too so it doesn't matter too much to me. I know what I will be using at any given time.

Mounting a gopro under p2v combining 2 advantages

Thank you for the positive and also negative replays (@ Nvr2fst)!
I am not an expert in flying nor in electronic so I appreciate verry much the possibility which the p2v gives me with his POV.
I am very much intrested in taking best quality of videos for my project to take arial videos from Vienna for a other kind of sightseeing. So video taking is my 1st hobby.
Therfore I would like to mont a gopro under my normal cam, because its easier to do and i have 2 advantages.
POV with my p2v i will see what i shoot (or nearly) and best video quality available I get via gopro.

But I have to find out the best way to mount the gopro - has anyone already done this, so please give me a hint.
And how much flighttime it will cost me if i have to lift 100g plus? Anyone know already?

Many thanks for suggestions and coments.

Andreas

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164