GoPro Hero 3 Black video and pic quality vs Phantom 2 Vision

Reaction score
I have seen footage on YouTube and other sites of GoPro Hero 3 black cameras and I can't really say for sure if its much better if better at all than the Phantom 2 Vision camera. I'd like input from people who own both a Phantom Vision as well as a GoPro Hero 3 black and give me your impressions and comparisons of both the overall picture quality of both day and night.

My reason for this is if I should decide I want more stabalized or higher end video if I should go with a 2 axis gimbal when one becomes available for the vision or if their really is an appreciable difference in quality between the two just going with getting a Phantom 2 with Zenmuse gimbal and GoPro Hero 3+ Black and add on fpv system

Re: GoPro Hero 3 Black video and pic quality vs Phantom 2 Vi

evaluating only the image (not taking note of stabilization gimbal) my opinion is that gopro is much more crisper than the p2v
but p2v has more natural colors ...
anyway, regarding the better detail of gopro, video files are @12-13mb/sec for p2v and 30-32mb/sec for gopro
thats why :roll:

BenDrone- I am in the same camp as you......I will probably buy the 2-axis gimbal, but am a little diasapointed with the FC200'camera.

Maybe they will offer an upgrade for that sometime soon....then we are in business....literally and figuratively.

I am hoping the raw image converter will at least make the photos better. Video is another story.

I have both camera´s and i think Gopro is better for video en Vision is better for photo´s but i wait for the rawconverter and use it with Photoshop to have a good view on the photo quality. If i remember good, some people at this forum where talking about the specifications.

You need a DJI hexa F550 or something similar with dslr/videocamera with hdmi output and gimbal for higher end video and fpv.

FC-200 (the camera on PV) is really weak in high iso mode, particularly when there's lack of light. I've seen gopro hero videos taken in night flight which still look great, whereas my PV already shows graininess even before sunset!

Other than worse performance in high-ISO, the FC-200 has a more limited dynamic range too. This is visible on scenes with extreme light and dark areas... but for my use this doesn't bother me too much. Also, the FPV allows me to make immediate corrections if necessary.

Anyway, the gopro hero would completely trump the FC-200 if it lets you remotely take pictures and change the settings (probably what you can do with its wifi app). So for the time being, picture taking capabilities is the one thing that the FC-200 has over Gopro Hero.

I have both cameras and I actually prefer the footage from the PV camera. I have not sent my Gopro up in the air but I do use it to record all my actions in preflight and flight in case I suffer some malfunction or the Vision does. You pays your money and you makes your choice.

Have not used them in poor light though so can't offer an opinion on that.

gopro is definitely better, but you wont be getting FPV with it. so if you want a gopro just get the phantom 2 and mount your own cam. if you want fpv out of the box then thats the p2v

Migmon said:
gopro is definitely better, but you wont be getting FPV with it. so if you want a gopro just get the phantom 2 and mount your own cam. if you want fpv out of the box then thats the p2v

Gopro is good of course but first to see how the PV cam is with the raw files. With RAW pictures you have more quality and you can adjust the picture without loosing quality :)The jpg pictures from the PV are not so bad already with the right light conditions and some of them are prety sharp.
For me a Gopro and Vision cam are both just for fun anyway and i don´t think many people will see a difference if they don´t compare them and they will like the picture/footage anyway if you make it nice.
With photography it is the photographer who makes the picture, not the camera. I think it is the same with a PV or any other multirotor. A gimbal would be nice of course for video. I am very curious if there will be other gimbals from third party´s.
Besides this, Photoshop cc has a new function where you can repair ´shaky pictures´ if the phantom is a bit woobly.

Main benefits of using RAW are avoiding the deficiencies introduced to the picture due to JPG compression. It's not going to make the image better than what the sensor can capture....

1. No Jpg artifacts (more details, less distortion on diagonal lines, etc)
2. May be able to recover more details from under\over-exposed areas (too dark, too bright), depending on the sensor sensitivity (dynamic range).
3. You can still change the white balance after the fact.

None of the above can help with weak high-iso performance nor limited dynamic range... so. personally I don't expect too much from FC-200's RAWs... but I hope I'm wrong.

Drone7 said:
I have both camera´s and i think Gopro is better for video en Vision is better for photo´s but i wait for the rawconverter and use it with Photoshop to have a good view on the photo quality. If i remember good, some people at this forum where talking about the specifications.

You need a DJI hexa F550 or something similar with dslr/videocamera with hdmi output and gimbal for higher end video and fpv.

Yeah I also have been more impressed with the overall quality of the still photos vs the videos tho both are a big jump from my Parrot AR Drone 2 camera, especially night or low light photos and video which barely come out on the Parrot. I wonder if the phantom can manage the weight of my Sony Handycam :)

LeoS said:
Main benefits of using RAW are avoiding the deficiencies introduced to the picture due to JPG compression. It's not going to make the image better than what the sensor can capture....

1. No Jpg artifacts (more details, less distortion on diagonal lines, etc)
2. May be able to recover more details from under\over-exposed areas (too dark, too bright), depending on the sensor sensitivity (dynamic range).
3. You can still change the white balance after the fact.

None of the above can help with weak high-iso performance nor limited dynamic range... so. personally I don't expect too much from FC-200's RAWs... but I hope I'm wrong.

i just checked some pictures that i made. Most jpg´s are around 2mb and the raw files are around 20mb.
1. Raw files are 20mb so there is space to change but of course you loose quality when you use a filter for those things but that is the same in Gopro.
2.Dark areas are easier then light areas but you can do a lot in raw so for me the maybe is not a maybe but for sure
3.Yes, white balance is also good to chance in raw. In fact, you can change the whole white balance a lot

I dont know about the iso but i will try for sure in lightroom to see the difference. Consider the jpg is only 2 mb and the rawfile is 20, i am sure there is also space in it too improove

BenDronePilot said:
Drone7 said:

Yeah I also have been more impressed with the overall quality of the still photos vs the videos tho both are a big jump from my Parrot AR Drone 2 camera, especially night or low light photos and video which barely come out on the Parrot. I wonder if the phantom can manage the weight of my Sony Handycam :)

The Phantom is a very good upgrade from the Parrot AR Drone :)
I think the Phantom can lift the Sony but not sure if the motors like it. They can get overheated if there is too much weight so i guess it is better to keep the maximum weight that dji recommend.

Drone7 said:
BenDronePilot said:
Drone7 said:

The Phantom is a very good upgrade from the Parrot AR Drone :)
I think the Phantom can lift the Sony but not sure if the motors like it. They can get overheated if there is too much weight so i guess it is better to keep the maximum weight that dji recommend.

Yeah and not only does the Phantom have better cameras than the Parrot it flys so much more reliably too. I spent more time fixing my Parrots than flying them. Gets frustrating after a while. But so far the Phantom is flying perfect, no crashes and over 12 flights in.

Shrimpfarmer said:
I have both cameras and I actually prefer the footage from the PV camera. I have not sent my Gopro up in the air but I do use it to record all my actions in preflight and flight in case I suffer some malfunction or the Vision does. You pays your money and you makes your choice.

Have not used them in poor light though so can't offer an opinion on that.

You can actually velcro your GoPro onto your Vision at the same time to compare footage at the same time. It's interesting to see someone with a GoPro Hero 3 that prefers the vision camera to the gopro. And there is one other handy thing with the Vision vs a Gopro setup is the ability to control when to shoot pictures and or videos, but with GoPro you just start the video then stop it when you're done. I do understand tho the Hero 3+ Black does have its own WiFi capabilities but I'm sure it would interfere with the Phantom's radios to some extent and of course range would be limited.

FASTFJR said:

This isn't what I was looking for. Videos online are never as they were I'm the raw video state do to many factors including format conversion and compression or anything users may have done. I was mainly interested in hearing feedback from people who own both which means they have seen the best raw quality footage both camera systems are capable of and then to hear their thoughts as to which is better and in what ways,

Clue Giver said:
BenDronePilot said:
This isn't what I was looking for. Videos online are never as they were I'm the raw video state do to many factors including format conversion and compression or anything users may have done. I was mainly interested in hearing feedback from people who own both which means they have seen the best raw quality footage both camera systems are capable of and then to hear their thoughts as to which is better and in what ways,

You don't need to own both if you can wrap your head around the simple technical specs.

The Vision camera maxes out at 1080/30p (the 1080/60i is practically the same)
Gopro Black maxes out at 1080/60p - 2k/30 -4k/15

More data is better than less data, assuming the IQ, dynamic range and lenses are equal (doubtful here, with the nod going to Gopro).

The reason that the Vision's video is nowhere near the same quality as Gopro's is simple. The Vision video is HIGHLY compressed when compared to the Gopro's.

-- Vision video is compressed to ~ 11mbps (less data than crappy iPhone video)
-- Gopro video maxes out at ~ 45 mbps (and allows for manual control of sharpening, WB and noise reduction out of camera in post)

If someone wants the best video quality on a Phantom platform the GoPro and a 2D/3d brushless gimbal (as opposed to the the Vision 1 axis servo gimbal) is the way to go.

Just the indisputable facts...

It's more than just raw specs but visual difference. Those specs are all well and good but in reality out eyes may not always notice that significant a difference which is why I've asked the opinions of people who own both camera platforms and their personal impressions.

ClueGiver, it's easy to stumble into the pitfall of tech specs in this field... have you heard of the term 'megapixel race''?
The specs that you quoted (bigger file size, higher bitrates) relate more to its jpg/mp4 encoding capabilities... where your assumptions would be correct IF the input files are the same. (i.e.: garbage in = garbage out).

Although in this case the gopro hero IS better than FC-200 in almost every way, as most of us here have said it again and again, but it's not solely due to its lesser compression.

Here is another quote but is not mine:
It’s the photographer not the camera! Or is it?

I have the PV because it is easy to use with the app.
That is for me more important then a bit of extra quality for video of the Gopro but who knows dji will come with a better camera, they already made a lower quality (FC40) one so why not a better one for the PV.

If i want better quality, i fly with a bigger multirotor but i get annoyed by the battery´s to plug in for the hexa, fpv monitor, dslr, fpv antenna´s....... and not to mention it size, it can damage easily. So i bought the PV and didnt fly with my hexa since i have the PV and i am having a great time flying it.

Whenever people discuss which bit of kit is better than the other it generally descends into an argument. Just look at the comments on the youtube video. In a very short time people start insulting each other. I hate it when that happens. I have seen it on so many things, Apple v PC, television screens, cameras you name it it happens.

The ONLY thing that matters to me is what I like. I don't care about the specs of a device, I care about how I feel about it once I have used it. I own both, I like both and on this occasion when comparing video shot in the air v video shot on the ground I actually prefer the vision camera.

Switch to the beach and do a bit of snorkelling then I prefer the Gopro :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl